Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2005 6:44:16 PM EDT
Just sold my YHM 2 piece carbine rail to a buddy of mine.  He just bought a Tango Down vertical grip.  Trouble is the Tango down will not go onto the bottom rail.

Has anyone heard of this or had this problem?  Is modification needed to the T.Down in order to fit on a YHM rail??

thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:31:54 AM EDT
[#1]
They will fit, just tight, which is good.

Take the lower half of the handguard and start to slip the VFG on the REAR area.  Sit down on a carpeted area and  hold the handguard half straight up and down, with the VFG pointed back towards you, between your knees, with the front of the handguard down.  With the palm of your right hand reseting on top of the VFG, use your fingers to hold the lock open on the right side and your left hand/fingers to hold the left side lock open.

Now "hammer" the handguard into the carpet and the the VFG should slowly drift on the rail.  I have used this method several times and it works like a charm.  You can also wedge a toothpick or other item into the locks to "hold them open" while you "tap" the grip down the rails.

By "hammering" into the carpet, you don't cause any damage to the handguard or leave any nasty marks.

Actually, I got pissed off and tried this to find that it worked perfectly.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Has anyone heard of this or had this problem?  Is modification needed to the T.Down in order to fit on a YHM rail??
thanks

Yes, this was a problem on the earlier YHM railed HG’s. From what I’ve read here on the board, the problem has been fixed.

I use an aftermarket KAC knockoff grip and had to open up the slot a bit with a file to get it to fit on my HG’s.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They will fit, just tight, which is good.

Take the lower half of the handguard and start to slip the VFG on the REAR area.  Sit down on a carpeted area and  hold the handguard half straight up and down, with the VFG pointed back towards you, between your knees, with the front of the handguard down.  With the palm of your right hand reseting on top of the VFG, use your fingers to hold the lock open on the right side and your left hand/fingers to hold the left side lock open.

Now "hammer" the gandguard into the carpet and the the VFG should slowly drift on the rail.  I have used this method several times and it works like a charm.  You can also wedge a toothpick or other item into the locks to "hold them open" while you "tap" the grip down the rails.

By "hammering" into the carpet, you don't cause any damage to the handguard or leave any nasty marks.

Actually, I got pissed off and tried this to find that it worked perfectly.

I have found that the best way to install a new TD grip, not matter what rail you're using, is to do like he says above but with a couple of additions:

- Use something to hold the locking tabs down.  Wedge in some chopticks, use the zipties that come with it or whatever, but it is easier if you don't have to hold the tabs down while trying to fit in on the rail.

- Oil the rail so it'll slide easier.

- Work it on a little then pull it off, flip it over and work it from the other side.  repeat until it'll slide all the way on.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to all for the suggestions! The grip is now on.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top