Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 1:10:13 PM EDT
I took my 9mm AR out today and was having FTEs every other round. After about 10 rounds, I popped the hood and removed the bolt for inspection. I immediately noticed that the extractor was the problem. I was able to pull it forward which lead me to the source of the problem. The pin (which doesn't appear to be a roll pin) the holds the extractor in place had migrated upwards and was no longer holding the extractor in place. I went into the range shop and the owner pulled out a brass punch pin and knocked it back into place. It stayed in place for around 100 rounds and then I started having FTE problems again. I repeated the process but this time I just pushed the pin back in place with my multitool. I fired the remainder of the box of the ammo and called it a day.

Now I am faced with permanently fixing the problem. This rifle has around 800 rounds through it now and I bought it brand new. It doesn't appear to be that difficult a problem to fix. My initial thougth was to get some Loctite but I don't know how well it will hold the pin in place. It is my understanding that Loctite is made for hold screws and bolts in place, not pins. Welding it would obviously keep the pin in place but when I end up breaking the extractor (eventually), I will be SOL.

I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer on fixing this problem.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Matt,
My Colt bolt does use a roll pin, so that might fix it if you replace your sold pin.  Until then, blue locktight might be worth a try.

Good luck,
Steve
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for replying but although it doesn't appear to be a roll pin, it might be. I didn't remove it but I also could not see a seam in it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Matt,    you are using a RRA bolt....... correct?  

Lose the rolled up piece of scrap that is used to hold the extractor, and replace it with an everyday split type roll pin.  

ASA, COLT, and Garrison all use a std roll pin.

Your complaint seems to mirror that which has been posted in the past.   Should cost no more than 50 cents to repair.   Report back to me via IM as to if you found a rolled up scrap attempting to hold the extractor.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Matt,    you are using a RRA bolt....... correct?  

Ding ding ding! You are correct. I should have explicitly stated that. My error.

Lose the rolled up piece of scrap that is used to hold the extractor, and replace it with an everyday split type roll pin. ASA, COLT, and Garrison all use a std roll pin. Your complaint seems to mirror that which has been posted in the past.   Should cost no more than 50 cents to repair. Report back to me via IM as to if you found a rolled up scrap attempting to hold the extractor.
Considering that I've never had a roll pin fall out before (even the ones I have put in ), I should have known it can't be a roll pin.

I'm going to head out to Lowe's tomorrow morning and see if I can dig up a roll pin there. If not, any recommendations on where else to get one? I can always order one but unless I can specifically order one of this exact use, I'm going to have to figure out what size I need.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]
No need to waste time and money ordering an overpriced  rol pin you can buy locally.   Look at LOWES as planned, ours has the drawers, so look in there, they labeled "tension pin" if I recall, I call the roll pin like most everybody else.

LOWES, Home Depot, ACE, Tru-Value should all have a store closeby somewhere.   Just make sure the pin is plenty long enough to fill the hole and be supported on both end.

Did you indeed find a rolled up piece of scrap metal?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:38:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Matt, I had the same problem. Hope this helps.

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=218674
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

just a note but this is an archived thread so only team-members can see it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:01:29 AM EDT
[#8]
another recent RRA bolt thread

Maybe there should be a tack for the infamous RRA 9mm bolt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just a note but this is an archived thread so only team-members can see it.

Argh. I forgot about searching the Archives. I should know better. Thanks for posting the link though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No need to waste time and money ordering an overpriced  rol pin you can buy locally.   Look at LOWES as planned, ours has the drawers, so look in there, they labeled "tension pin" if I recall, I call the roll pin like most everybody else.

I just got back from Lowe's. I knew exactly where in the store the drawers you referred to are. I've been there a few times before. I picked up a pair of the smallest roll pins they had for .80. I brought my bolt just to make sure they would fit. They will be tight but better that than loose.

Did you indeed find a rolled up piece of scrap metal?
Yup. It sure isn't a roll pin. I have to call them and ask them why they skimp on such a cheap and critical part. It's silly if you ask me, just plain silly. Thanks again for the assistance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I just popped in the replacement pin and it's nice and snug. For the record, I used a 1/8 x 3/4 roll pin and it just barely fits. It sticks out the top of the bolt about 1/32" and goes right down to the bottom of the hole. Once I get the rifle cleaned, when I got to reassemble it I'll find out if the pin is too long.

BTW, I noticed that the bolt weight is held in by the same POS time of pin that the extractor is. I'll keep an eye on that one just in case it decides to jump ship.

Thanks again for the assistance gents.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top