Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 4/5/2017 1:45:20 PM EDT
I am fairly new to the AR world and I am looking at buying a red dot optic.  I am trying to choose between the Aimpoint Pro which I've heard is great but doesn't have a magnifier.  I am also considering Primary Arms 2.5X Compact.  It is a lot cheaper and is magnified.  Being so new to the AR world I could use some help from some of you.

Also, what are yalls thoughts on Vortex?

Any help is appreciated!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:10:21 PM EDT
All 3 of those are GTG. Might depend on your usage. If it is for defense then get the PRO or something without magnificaiton. If you want an all around gun for hunting and defense then you might do a 1-4x scope or 1-6x with illumination. The PA 2.5x might do the same.

Adding a red dot plus a magnifier is probably a little heavy imho...
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:58:50 PM EDT
What is the purpose of the AR?  Previous poster hit the nail on the head. For HD get the Aimpoint. If you want to range out or hunt, get the PA, or an LPV.  I have a magnifier, but I don't us it. If I'm going to magnify I go with an LPV, 1-4, or 1-6.  I have never owned the PA RDS, but I've heard they are a good budget optic.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:23:21 PM EDT
i went for the Trijicon MRO because it has off in the middle of the brightness settings, it also weighs about 1/2 as much as the PRO though a few ounces doesn't really matter in my opinion, i think the MRO is about $50 more than the PRO though

they make 3x magnifiers you can mount behind the non-magnified red-dots, but i'd just get a magnified optic before i did that personally 
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:42:16 PM EDT
Thanks for all the feedback. My main purpose for my AR is home defense and taking to the range every now and then. I'm just looking for the best optic for a decent price. I'm not sure how important a magnifier would be to me...
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:51:19 PM EDT
For home defense you will not need a magnifier. 

Vortex is a great brand with great warranty and customer support. 

If you have the extra money Aimpoint is really a 'buy once cry once' optic you'll never regret owning. 

Welcome to the site
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:15:39 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for all the feedback. My main purpose for my AR is home defense and taking to the range every now and then. I'm just looking for the best optic for a decent price. I'm not sure how important a magnifier would be to me...
View Quote
Aimpoint PRO.  You won't need the magnifier.  I can easily ring steel out to 200-300 yards with an unmagnified AP.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:42:25 PM EDT
I have used red dots and magnified optics including acogs and more traditional scopes.  I think the best all around scope is an illuminated reticle 1-4/6x scope.  I'm a fan of vortex and really like their viper pst.  This is my setup.  Vortex Viper PST
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:29:03 PM EDT
Aimpoint pro is my vote.  It's a little more money than cheap red dots but it's worth it in the long run.  Leave the dot on all year and change out the battery on your birthday.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:53:26 PM EDT
Ok cool...so I think I am narrowing it down. From what yall have said I don't feel like I need a magnifier. I have narrowed it down to two sights...the Aimpoint PRO and the Trijicon MRO. Thoughts? Main differences?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:11:17 PM EDT
I never owned an mro but I do own trijicon optics and I would not feel concerned about the construction . I do own an aimpoint pro and went the 3x magnifier route briefly I found I could hit just as well with out the magnifier and alot faster on target . for home defense the aimpoint pro is the bee's knee's  . My last battery had been left turned on for 3.5 years , I changed it because I decided not to press my luck .
I know it seems insignificant having to turn on an optic but try it at 3 am after you just woke up in the dark .
I have used the sight for hunting deer and it works great for the ranges I shoot , plus they are a pretty tough optic for the money spent .

just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:33:45 PM EDT
I'd go the PRO of the two though both would be fine
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:51:18 AM EDT
Quoted:
I'd go the PRO of the two though both would be fine
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:34:41 AM EDT
Quoted:
I have used red dots and magnified optics including acogs and more traditional scopes.  I think the best all around scope is an illuminated reticle 1-4/6x scope.  I'm a fan of vortex and really like their viper pst.  This is my setup.  Vortex Viper PST
View Quote
Did you do your own stippling?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:53:12 AM EDT
Quoted:

Ok cool...so I think I am narrowing it down. From what yall have said I don't feel like I need a magnifier. I have narrowed it down to two sights...the Aimpoint PRO and the Trijicon MRO. Thoughts? Main differences?
View Quote
I think either optic is a winner.  They both have excellent reputations.  They both come from companies with a proven combat record.  The mount on the PRO is very solid.  I have not shot with an MROm but I have some friends who know their way around an AR quite well, and they are pretty happy with theirs.  The reality of it, is that you can't go wrong either way.   If it was me I'd spring for the PRO.  It's just got more time downrange. 
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:55:55 PM EDT
Right on. Thanks again for all the help. I am going to go with the Aimpoint PRO.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:55:27 PM EDT
Quoted:
Right on. Thanks again for all the help. I am going to go with the Aimpoint PRO.
View Quote
Good call.  Great optic.  Add a magnifier later if you think it is something you need.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:01:37 PM EDT
Quoted:
Did you do your own stippling?
View Quote
Yep sure did.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:43:59 PM EDT
OK...so I only thought I had made up my mind. I now am also considering getting an EOTECH holographic sight and I don't really know anything about holosights....

Any thoughts between the two???

(Aimpoint PRO vs an EOTech holosight)
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:32:09 PM EDT
what is your budget ?
Aimpoint Pro, Micro or you can try those Mini Acog 1.5x, 2x
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 7:07:05 PM EDT
I'd like to stay around the $500 range if possible
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:12:01 PM EDT
About a month or so, I went through the same decision making process, Aimpoint Pro or Burris Fullfield E1 2-7x35 scope (which I already had). I ended up buying the Aimpoint and couldn't be happier with it.  I've shot it out to 100 yards with no problem and that's with bifocals and these aging eyes.  I will also say I bought a Bobro mount for the Aimpoint, love that too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:23:32 AM EDT
A Aimpoint Micro, Trijicon MRO or Eotech XPS model can easily be found here on the EE for a good price. Vortex SPARC AR is also a good micro RDS that can be found for under $200 and has a lifetime warranty.

I've owned an Aimpoint Micro T1, several Eotechs, SPARC AR, and T&E a Trijicon MRO at work. All good optics.  I've used Trijicon ACOGS, Elcans, and Eotechs extensively in numerous overseas engagements with 0 issues.

My go to and preferred optic for close in shooting is my Trijicon RX30. Always on and perfect for HD/CQB shooting in my professional opinion.

Regardless of what you go with, being new to ARs, train to proficiency and then train more. Any of those optics are merely tools to become a force multiplier when combined with a warrior mindset and a level of proficiency with your weapon system. Have your mind right if those optics are ever needed.....
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:20:17 PM EDT
Aimpoint PRO, Aimpoint Micro T2, or Trijicon MRO????

I like them all and can't decide!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:49:23 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote
Money is no object?  T2 by a mile
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:57:19 AM EDT
Have you actually gotten behind all three and looked through them?  I'd try to do that before deciding for sure.  I prefer the MRO over the T2 for the larger FOV, but to each their own.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:27:49 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote
It doesn't matter, all will work well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:36:41 AM EDT
If this is your one and only rifle I wouldn't go any less than an Aimpoint PRO.  I've never used an MRO but have heard generally good things.  Like others have said try to get experience with all of them before you buy.  I see no reason to go with anything less than a Aimpoint one the only AR someone owns.  If you add additional rifles at some point then exploring more budget minded stuff isn't really a bad thing.  My Colt 6920 has a PRO and my other 3 have various optics from Primary Arms and Holosun.

I like using LaRue mounts with Aimpoints because of the battery storage options. The LT129 for the PRO can hold an extra battery and the LT660 can hold 2 2032s in the base.  Watch the EE for a mount.  Even a little dinged up mount will work just fine and save some money.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:44:32 PM EDT
I've got an Aimpoint pro on the way. I'm excited to get it and sight her in!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:08:07 AM EDT
Quoted:
I've got an Aimpoint pro on the way. I'm excited to get it and sight her in!!!
View Quote
Smart
Top Top