Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 4:51:27 PM EDT
I've been thinking about getting/building a SP-1 for a while.  I was at the Savannah gun show over the weekend and spotted an SP-1 Upper w/o the forward assist and with the bird cage flash suppressor for $250 (the seller told me that it was a M16A1 upper and I'll get to that latter).  I checked it out and it looked good so I got it.  I had no idea how much they cost but figured for that price it couldn't be too bad.  So he also had a colt bcg for $150...  Well, it was there and it sounded a little high but oh well...  So for $400 I have a good lookin Colt SP-1 Upper.  I'm wanting to build a rifle that is as "time period correct" as I can.

So I clicked on the active topics button and I see this thread.  He's selling colt bolt carrier groups and a couple of them don't have the forward assist serrations.  Okay, I guess it would make sence that colt didn't have the forward assist groves on the bolt carrier when the uppers didn't have forward assists.  My bolt carrier has the groves so I guess that wouldn't put it in the correct time period...  Correct?

Also, what serial number should I be looking for in a lower receiver?

Back to the "M16A1" upper...  The lighting in the Savannah civic center is horrible at best.  I believed the guy that it was an M16A1 upper after talking with a friend who's pretty knowledgable about SP-1s.  I told him that both the holes for the pins were the same size so he said that it should be a GI M16A1 upper.  Great.  I took it home and had to play with it so I cleaned it.  As I was cleaning it I noticed some white crap in the forward pin hole.  WTF is this crap...  Epoxy, I guess the person who had this before was too damn cheap to get a colt large pin lower...  And then even more cheap to spend the $15 to get the adapter pin for the large pinned upper and small pinned lower, so he/she filled in the hole with epoxy.  

Either way I'm pretty satasfied with the deal.  Even if it isn't an GI A1 upper.  Just need a lower - and with your conformation...  A new unserrated BCG.

Thanks
Magoo

ETA the highlights on the questions
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I paid $369 for a new unfired G.I. SP-1 type upper with no brass deflector from CDNN.
You do know most are 1:12 twist don't you?
If you shoot 55gr ammo no problem.
I think you'll like it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I knew it would be 1/12...  Don't care about that.  I just want a really "time period accurate" rifle as possible.  Sounds like it wasn't such a great price after all .  Oh well, win some - lose some.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I just checked out the CDNN to see the add you were talking about...  369 for just the upper w/o the BCG.  Mine was included in the $400.  So I guess I didn't do too bad
back atcha!

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the B/BC/CH already along with a nice RRA lower. You did fine.

I like it quite a lot and that's all that matters. It's correct for the Vietnam era.
Earlier models didn't have mag button fences and fwd assist but I like mine just fine. And it shoots great.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking of getting that one too (was he the same guy with the stripped A1 upper?) but I decided to get some M14 parts instead. Where in SC do you live? There is a big show in Atlanta in mid April might be close to you (I'm in Savannah).

Good deal on the upper, my buddy picked one up for $400 w/o the BCG. 50 grain 5.56 out of a 1:12 20" puts all other 5.56 loads to shame
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, so you got an SP1 upper with a front hole 8mm in diameter and not 1/4 inch.  Not a big problem.. Just about all tha mfrs list a two piece adapter sleeve that well reduce the front hole to  1/4 inch.

Re the notched carrier, almost all the SP1s had notched carriers, simply because once the XM16E1 and the later M16A1 were introduced, notched was the only type Colt made. Even later Air Force M16s came w/notched carriers.  So don't sweat yours being notched. Both of my SP1s; the rifle in 1975, and the carbine in 1977 came w/notvhed pieces.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was thinking of getting that one too (was he the same guy with the stripped A1 upper?) but I decided to get some M14 parts instead. Where in SC do you live? There is a big show in Atlanta in mid April might be close to you (I'm in Savannah).

Good deal on the upper, my buddy picked one up for $400 w/o the BCG. 50 grain 5.56 out of a 1:12 20" puts all other 5.56 loads to shame

I'm in Beaufort - The guy was in the second row on the side that's closest to the entrance.  He had a bunch of SBR uppers for sale also.  

Not to hijack my own thread but...  where you shoot at?

Magoo
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OK, so you got an SP1 upper with a front hole 8mm in diameter and not 1/4 inch.  Not a big problem.. Just about all tha mfrs list a two piece adapter sleeve that well reduce the front hole to  1/4 inch.

Re the notched carrier, almost all the SP1s had notched carriers, simply because once the XM16E1 and the later M16A1 were introduced, notched was the only type Colt made. Even later Air Force M16s came w/notched carriers.  So don't sweat yours being notched. Both of my SP1s; the rifle in 1975, and the carbine in 1977 came w/notvhed pieces.

I'm not worried about the front hole.  I was a little upset that he sold me a GI upper that turned out not to be but all in all I'm happy with it.  I'm going to get an SP1 lower for it so in the end it turned out to be a good thing.

For the bolt carrier - you're saying that SP1s came out of the box with carriers with notches even though the upper didn't have the forward assist.  If so then I'm happy with it.

Thanks
Magoo
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had the B/BC/CH already along with a nice RRA lower. You did fine.
img61.imageshack.us/img61/7733/1001314600x4508wn.jpg
I like it quite a lot and that's all that matters. It's correct for the Vietnam era.
Earlier models didn't have mag button fences and fwd assist but I like mine just fine. And it shoots great.

I've got an original GI 3 prong FS that would make that perfect. I picked it up from an armorer at Ft. Benning when I was there in the 70's. I took it out of the wrap but it has never been on a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]
IIRC, an SP1 that is old enough to have a slabsided bolt carrier would probably have a three prong hider, so your serrated carrier should be correct.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#11]
tag for pics when my CDNN upper gets here!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
tag for pics when my CDNN upper gets here!

You'll love it.

My 1/12 barrel shoots 55 grain SWEEEEET!!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:14:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in Beaufort - The guy was in the second row on the side that's closest to the entrance.  He had a bunch of SBR uppers for sale also.  

Not to hijack my own thread but...  where you shoot at?

Magoo

I usually go to the free range in Richmond Hill (100 yard) or the Rye Patch (300 yard) near Ft. Stewart both are pretty good to shoot at. PM if you need directions. Ft Stewart also has a 75 yard range that you can use for $5 day, don't know if its a DoD employee range or not though.  Any good places up your way?

The guy I was speaking of was in the middle somewhere, ho had some stripped RRA lowers and some stripped A1 uppers as woll as the complete ones. I was amazed that some of the prices were actually reasonable unlike other shows I have been to in NH, VT, MA & PA when I lived up north.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Another way to ID the SP1 besides the large front pin size is that it will not have the sear relief cut on the bottom of the upper near the rear lug. Thus making it semi only.
HTH
P.S. I picked up a reproduction 3 prong FH at an Atlanta show last summer for $10.00, the guy does all AR stuff and mentioned doing the Savannah show. Can't remember his name but great guy to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:45:30 AM EDT
[#15]
My 1984 SP1 has the notched carrier, so yours is good to go.  

For the money you have spent thus far, I think your doing very well.  You'll end up with a pretty sweet gun.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the info guys.  Keep it comin.  Anyone know what serial number range for the lower I should be looking for?  I have a 3 prong FS on the way from XM21Nick...  Again Thanks Alot.

Sd-Kfz_182:  I shoot up in Ridgeland.  It's a good range but our President of the the club can be an ass sometimes.  IMO its the best place around...  Pistol, shotgun and 300 yd rifle.

Let me know if you want to come up a check it out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

For the bolt carrier - you're saying that SP1s came out of the box with carriers with notches even though the upper didn't have the forward assist.  If so then I'm happy with it.

Thanks
Magoo

Yup.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Probably only the first year or two SP1s had the smooth carriers.  Air force M16's without FA had notched carriers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#19]

I paid $369 for a new unfired G.I. SP-1 type upper with no brass deflector from CDNN.

Oh boy here I go getting ideas(looking at the cards) again .
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#20]
The Upper with the 3 prong from Nick

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#21]
What markings are on the barrel?  That will help date it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#22]
C MP B
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#23]
According to Ekie's research, this barrel was mfg somewhere between 71-74

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=241681
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Whats the value of an originl SP1. Friend of mine has one that he bought back in that era that probably never been fired or only a few times. Has nor forward assist or deflector.
JR
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
According to Ekie's research, this barrel was mfg somewhere between 71-74

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=241681

Thanks for the thread...  didn't know it existed  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top