Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2009 1:47:59 PM EST
So back in 1993 I think it was my dad bought me an AR-15 made by PWA. Every time I would fire the rifle it would have a problem with ejecting the spent shell. The shell would either get caught in between the ejection port and the bolt or it would stove pipe.

I have taken the rifle in to get it fixed a few times. It always works for the first 30 or so rounds and then it starts up again. I have heard that some PWA upper receivers would cause this. I think it could be a gas tube problem. I don’t think it is the bolt because I used the bolt in my new AR that I just built and it had no problems.

I know PWA is not the best brand out there, if they were they would still be in business. When it does work it fires great, nice group and everything. After 16 years id like to get it working without any problems. It’s my first AR and I kind of have a soft spot for it.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 3:02:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2009 3:03:01 PM EST by Dano523]
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 3:20:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2009 3:22:02 PM EST by Desert_AIP]
Originally Posted By Shortimer52:

I know PWA is not the best brand out there, if they were they would still be in business.

PWA is LMT

My first AR is a PWA circa 1988, still going strong.

Follow Dano's procedure and let us know.

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 4:03:00 PM EST
PWA is LMT really? Well thats something new to me. I have to go play First Sgt this weekend so when I get back into town Monday ill clean the heck out of her and head to the range. I dont think it is the mags, ive use lots of diffrent mags and always had the same problem. So we will see. Thanks for the help and ill update when I get some info.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:01:45 AM EST
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/shortimer52/SSPX0177.jpg?t=1257091720

Well there you go, been doing this and the stove pipe for 16 years or so. I cleaned the heck out of it; and it is clean and very well lubed up. I tried two different USGI Mags (one just came out of the package), and my new PMAG. Everything Dano523 asked me all checks out.

Out of about 50 rounds it did what is in the picture twice, so it did improve a little. It jammed up using two different USGI mags. But worked fine out of the PMAG, but I only shot 10 rounds using that mag.
The bolt worked great on my new build, shot 200 rounds using that bolt in the new build and never had a problem.

One thing I did notice today and I should have noticed this sooner. The bolt assembly fits tight in the carrier.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:53:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:55:22 AM EST
Thank you sir,

Would an Extractor Spring Upgrade Kit help? Maybe?

So if it’s not full stroking what could be the issue? And if it’s not dropped before the end of rearward stoke what could be the problem?

Just trying to get a better idea of what is going on.

BTW, you have been more help in the past week or so then any one has in the past 16 years I have had the rifle! Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:02:20 PM EST
Top Top