Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 5:07:42 PM EDT
OK, I know I'm asking for a deluge of information, of which will probably take this tread in any direction other than what I am hoping for, but here goes...

I need some feedback and recommendations on this build...

16" middy government 1/8 twist, spikes blem M4 flat top upper, bushmaster bolt/carrier, ARMS folding front sight/gas block, magpul handguards and rear BUIS all on a pre-ban O.A. lower with CAR stock and Lone Star Ordnance Stowaway 2 Pistol Grip and Magpul advanced trigger guard.

My goal is to build a lightweight emergency rifle.

• I am weighing using the CAR stock versus a magpul (which I have on another rifle already) - Question being which is lightest and most durable?

• Really need to decide whether to have ADCO turn the barrel down to ultra-light weight entirely, or simply have in front of the gas block either turned down to the thinner dimension behind the block, flute the front, or dimple the front.

• Also whether to have them cut and pin a YHM QD flash hider/suppressor mount at just 16" or leave the barrel at 16" and threaded. Do I need that extra length for velocity?

• I have read Fortier's reviews of the patrol carbines with pencil barrels but couldn't find a middy pencil barrel with M4 ramps available.

Normally I know exactly how to put my builds together but this one seems that it could go in so many directions.

Any input would be greatly appreciate
    Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:54:03 PM EDT
    For weight it's hard to beat the CAR stock but there are much more durable options.

I'd check out this stock durability test video from Military Times GearScout TV and check out the written article sometime next week. I'd venture to say that combining weight, price and durability, it's hard to beat the Magpul MOE.
    Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:00:54 PM EDT
    [Last Edit: 1/6/2012 6:04:04 PM EDT by Saddlerocker]
    Is the barrel Stainless?
    Is this a rifle you have already, or are planning to build?

There are loads of 1/7" twist lightweight midlength barrels out there with M$ feedramps
    BCM
    DD
    PSA
    ect....

Personally I would use a better BCG as well, its the heart of the rifle, the most important part.

Would be best to have a 14.5" lightweight with pinned A2X. MOE handguards, or a lightweight rail like the Rainier Samson, or Troy Alpha/Extreme. And you choice of MOE or CAR stock and basic grip
    The AR-15 Carrier does save you a little weight I suppose
    Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:27:31 PM EDT
    The only two things I would do to it if it were mine: plan vanilla M4 stock and lighten the barrel by either having it turned to an A1 contour or preferably by fluting.

While your at it you might have the muzzle threads checked for egocentricity with the bore just in case you decide to get a suppressor in the future

The 16" barrel will allow you to change muzzle devices at home or in the field with a wrench.
    Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:03:08 PM EDT
    1. Loose the Bushmaster BCG. Go with something from BCM/PSA/Colt/LMT, etc, especially if it is for emergency use. You DON'T want it failing after 500 rounds of emergency use!

2. What ammo do you plan to shoot? You may want to consider a chrome-lined bore. 1:8 twist is fine, 1:7 will give you a few more options, especially if you think you may shoot 64gr tracers. Those bullets are LONG.
    Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:25:04 PM EDT
    Originally Posted By FAB-10_Guy:
    1. Loose the Bushmaster BCG. Go with something from BCM/PSA/Colt/LMT, etc, especially if it is for emergency use. You DON'T want it failing after 500 rounds of emergency use!

2. What ammo do you plan to shoot? You may want to consider a chrome-lined bore. 1:8 twist is fine, 1:7 will give you a few more options, especially if you think you may shoot 64gr tracers. Those bullets are LONG.

Do Bushmaster BCG's typically fail at 500 rounds?
    Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:36:53 AM EDT
    WOW, you guys have some awesome ideas. Thank you. I guess my first question in response is DO BUSHMASTER BOLTS fail that frequently? WOW

I have most of these parts already and am going to assemble. I think I can send this barrel to AR15barrels.com and have them turn it down and repark it.
    I got the BCG for a good deal brand new as well as the barrel in 1/8. I don't shoot match heavy loads and may have to use the 1000s of rounds of steel I have in reserve I have for my kalishnakovs in that caliber. that's all 55-65gr. stuff anyways. I believe its chrome lined.
    Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:51:23 AM EDT
    I am sure he is exaggerating.
    Top Top