Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2007 1:10:25 PM EDT
Who can laser engrave an image on to a couple of lower receivers? It would be a custom job.

I had a couple of prospects but that has dried up and I don't know if they will follow through. They just might be to busy.

Spikes Tactical was interested but I haven't received any feedback for quite awhile now.

CMMG has said that they won't be able to for a while.

It doesn't have to be laser.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Contacted Orion Arms but I don't think they will be able to help me. This image is of  Halo Legendary, a video game my boys play. It is pretty cool looking. It's a picture of an aliens head with cross daggers/knives.

It was for them. EDIT: HEY HEY HEY THIS WAS MY FIRST ATTEPMT AT POSTING A PICTURE.

Link Posted: 8/9/2007 5:08:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Small lasers are now cheap enough that it isn't unusual to find someone who has one at home or a small home business using one.

I have access through my dad who has a small laser.  I have done lots of work on aluminum, including several magazines.

I intend to do my lower at some point.

Check around, someone should have one nearby if you are in a decent sized area.  There isn't much science to running a laser on aluminum.  Finding one large enough to take the upper without dissembling it could be trickier.

Joe

I guess what they do is change the picture in to a program and a computer drives the the laser for a perfect image every time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 5:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
try www.anvilarms.com/ , Jon seems to be able to make things happen.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have an appointment with him today
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got back from Anvil Arms and everything turned out great! $20 got me my trust markings, Molon Labe, and the Punisher logo. Will update with pics. Jon is a great guy, and he will definitely have my business in the future.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I sent Jon an email asking if he could do it. I hope he can follow through.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just got back from Anvil Arms and everything turned out great! $20 got me my trust markings, Molon Labe, and the Punisher logo. Will update with pics. Jon is a great guy, and he will definitely have my business in the future.

He can do SBR engraving?
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He can do SBR engraving?

Not to the depth specs ATF mandates, but then again, YHM, Gemtech, and AAC are all using lasers to do their markings. If the ATF kicks down your door because your markings are not deep enough (especially when they're not even sure whether or not you have to have markings in the first place), then it's time for another American revolution.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:56:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Let's see those pics!

I'm on vacation here in FL and would like to go down and get a custom lower from Jon... the only thing that's holding me up is finding an appropriate Spartan helmet design to put above "molon labe!"
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Let's see those pics!

I'm on vacation here in FL and would like to go down and get a custom lower from Jon... the only thing that's holding me up is finding an appropriate Spartan helmet design to put above "molon labe!"

I'll just bet you were looking for something as cool as this:

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Tagged to see out-come.

Post a pic of that Halo engraving when it's finished.  I like the looks of that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
tagged for pictures.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Custom trophy shops usually have them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Contacted Orion Arms but I don't think they will be able to help me. This image is of  Halo Legendary, a video game my boys play. It is pretty cool looking. It's a picture of an aliens head with cross daggers/knives.

It was for them. EDIT: HEY HEY HEY THIS WAS MY FIRST ATTEPMT AT POSTING A PICTURE.

www.chthonian.org/pics/thumbs/Legendary.gif

IT is Ok to say you plave video Games as some us still do.  hehehe Love the Battlefield 2 any way like has been said any Custom trophy shop should be able to do it.  And that is a cool pic.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let's see those pics!

I'll just bet you were looking for something as cool as this:

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/AFreeMan/molon.jpg

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/AFreeMan/both_lowers.jpg

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/AFreeMan/BothEngravedRifles.jpg

Exactly right.  I actually found that image online and sent it to a graphics design buddy to make something similar to it.  Should have it in a day or so.

Then off to Jon for an engraved lower!

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know that they could legally engrave a lower. Course they probably wouldn't know what the heck it was anyways.

I have "retirement" guns engraved all the time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know that they could legally engrave a lower. Course they probably wouldn't know what the heck it was anyways.

I have "retirement" guns engraved all the time.

I bet if the ATF ever found out they'd say the engraver needs to have a license for that since you're working on a firearm. I promise I won't tell!

I suddenly forgot what the hell we're talking about.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Pics of Jon's work:

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#23]
height=8
Quoted:
I bet if the ATF ever found out they'd say the engraver needs to have a license for that since you're working on a firearm. I promise I won't tell!han
But reason and ATF judgement calls don't always seem to go hand in hand, so what seems reasonable to us, may still be illegal.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 5:06:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Pics of Jon's work:

i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/JPratt06/AnvilArms2.jpg

i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/JPratt06/AnvilArms.jpg

Nice... did he have other molon labe typesets, without the accent marks?
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IT is Ok to say you plave video Games as some us still do.  hehehe Love the Battlefield 2 any way like has been said any Custom trophy shop should be able to do it.  And that is a cool pic.

I wish I was into video games like my sons  friends dads. The last game I played was Pac-Man and if I find it somewhere I pop in a couple quarters. Now I do like going to Peter Piper Pizza and shoot the zombies. But in that game I hold a plastic firearm. My favorite video game was Tank from about 30 years ago.

My oldest boy who is 14 wants the Halo image plus the Duracoat Bengal finish. My other son wants hell I don't know probably some off the wall abstract colors. Now I plan on having the Hello Kitty image put on a lower for my daughter. And that will be a combination of pink and purple like the one Ted Nugent has but his is pink and black tiger stripe.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I was going to get that exact image engraved on my Anvil Arms lower receiver, so I made a vector image in Illustrator, which Jon at AA can use to engrave it.  I'll IM it to you if you'd like me to.

This is a combination of a lower receiver and the vector image from Illustrator pasted over the lower.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#28]
What does that image stand for?
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
What does that image stand for?

It's the symbol for legendary difficulty from the video game Halo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 3:32:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

#5 Somebody noted that lasers are cheap these days. I want your job. If you consider $25,000 cheap, you are making WAY MORE than I am each week...  

That was me.  Perhaps cheap is a poor word, but in the world of machining, as I am sure you know, 25K is dirt cheap compared to a CNC mill.  

I would be curious what laser you are using.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:03:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

#5 Somebody noted that lasers are cheap these days. I want your job. If you consider $25,000 cheap, you are making WAY MORE than I am each week...  

That was me.  Perhaps cheap is a poor word, but in the world of machining, as I am sure you know, 25K is dirt cheap compared to a CNC mill.  

I would be curious what laser you are using.

Joe

www.epiloglaser.com/

Epilog Laser has a unit that could fit on a desk and do parts up to 18" x12" and sells for about 10K. I saw one at the 2007 Shot Show.
It works like a printer. You can use any Windows program that prints.

I wanted to get one and try to cover the cost with some side work, but that's a lot of side work. And too many toys were ahead of it in line.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Quoted:
#3 ATTENTION: DDiggler; If I read your post correctly, you are having the Spartan image that A_FREE_MAN posted made into a laser file? Is that correct? If so, what is the status of that? If it is a usable file I'll be happy to engrave that one for no charge side it will be popular and I can use it on other projects. (guys, please note, I don't make that offer very often, only for a graphic that I think will be VERY popular).

Jon Kruger
President, Anvil Arms LLC
Lakeland, FL.

[email protected]

www.AnvilArms.com
863-398-4460

Yes, my buddy is a professional freelance graphics designer and he's making it into a black and white vector file that will be very similar to the one pictured; he is actually redrawing it from scratch.  But it is a Spartan helmet above the molon labe phrase.  I forwarded him all your requirements about the file type, etc. and he's done this type of thing before for other businesses.

I actually talked to you late last week via email and need to make an appointment with you soon; but I want the file in hand first so I don't have to change the appointment on you later.  I am expecting it sometime today, because he leaves for California on business tomorrow.

As soon as I get it, I'll email it to you.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#34]
The link below is to Khalan Weaponary.  They sell blank lowers and do custom engraving.  Below the link is a couple pics of a lower they did for me.

Khalan Weaponry

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
#3 ATTENTION: DDiggler; If I read your post correctly, you are having the Spartan image that A_FREE_MAN posted made into a laser file? Is that correct? If so, what is the status of that? If it is a usable file I'll be happy to engrave that one for no charge side it will be popular and I can use it on other projects. (guys, please note, I don't make that offer very often, only for a graphic that I think will be VERY popular).

Jon Kruger
President, Anvil Arms LLC
Lakeland, FL.

[email protected]

www.AnvilArms.com
863-398-4460

Jon,

I just sent you the .ai file... hopefully I'll be able to get a lower tomorrow!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Tell me is Kalan Weaponry lowers High or Low shelf ?  Who machine Kalan Weaponry's lower for them?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#37]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
I bet if the ATF ever found out they'd say the engraver needs to have a license for that since you're working on a firearm. I promise I won't tell!han
But reason and ATF judgement calls don't always seem to go hand in hand, so what seems reasonable to us, may still be illegal. About 2 years ago we did some engraving on some 870's for the local police.  I'm pretty sure that it is legal.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah send it to me, please. I showed my boys your work and they loved it. They are hard core Halo gamers and they said it looked COOL. Well now my oldest is thinking instead of bengal maybe all green like Master Chief carries. Now I'm going to have to see what shade of green it is.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was going to get that exact image engraved on my Anvil Arms lower receiver, so I made a vector image in Illustrator, which Jon at AA can use to engrave it.  I'll IM it to you if you'd like me to.

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/scrinmaster/Haloexample.jpg

This is a combination of a lower receiver and the vector image from Illustrator pasted over the lower.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Just wanted to praise the folks at Anvil Arms. Really good stand up people and very helpful as well.

Gears of War anyone? he

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s315/ZdaMan/Lower1.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s315/ZdaMan/Lower2.jpg
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok, the Gears and Legendary lowers are just too bad ass. I'm not one to go all crazy about engraving stuff on my ARs, but that's so cool its wrong.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#42]
That should be in my luggage right now.  Dog-gone moody NICS-check people.

I'm gonna go kick cans now...  I'll get my FFL to fax you tomorrow!

It was good meeting you today.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That should be in my luggage right now.  Dog-gone moody NICS-check people.

I'm gonna go kick cans now...  I'll get my FFL to fax you tomorrow!

It was good meeting you today.

Yes Sir, it was good meeting you as well! It is not really the NICS people here in Florida, it is FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) They are all tied into the same system but that is who all FL dealers have to call. I'll toss something extra in the box for you, that might make up for the PIA government people!

(Just to be clear for anybody that happens to know DDiggler it was not a problem with him, it was with FDLE, but I have got to go with what they tell me so it will be a UPS -->>FFL delivery now instead of a personal one.

Travel safe and come see us again next time!

Jon K.

I'll definitely be getting some more stuff when the funds come around.  No need for extras in the shipping box; your price and quality are 'something extra' enough.  I showed my FIL the pic of my lower and told him to pay attention to the finish on the lower; he picked up a Bushmaster M4 a month or so ago and it had some discolored spots on the finish.  Rather than take it back, he's just going to get a custom finish on it, but still.

I'll be sure to give one of your cards to my FFL in PA after I show him the quality of goods you sell.  Maybe he'll be interested in stocking a few.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#45]
height=8
Quoted:
Hi All,

We just lasered this one a few minutes ago so yeah, we have the file now! (And of course the "Gears of war" file that we did for ZdaMan above - ZdaMan, you know, if you want an AA shirt to use as a backdrop, I can probably tell you where/how to get one  h.gif

Will have to pick one up at the next Gun Show. As well as a Ghost Recon lower. Just be sure to have big boy size in stock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#46]
OK, first off, plz forgive my newb questions I really am new to alot of stuff on this website.

Anyway, I was searching for info on engraving and happened upon this thread. I'm planning on building my first sbr and its my understanding that its has to be engraved with certain information and I know nothing about engraving. Are there other ways to professionaly engrave Al or is the laser the best? Since the lower is Al does it need to be refinished (i.e. duracoat, parker...etc) or can you leave as it is?

Last dumb question, what does "molon labe" mean?

btw, the images you all have engraved on your lowers are awesome!

thanks
tr
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
OK, first off, plz forgive my newb questions I really am new to alot of stuff on this website.

Anyway, I was searching for info on engraving and happened upon this thread. I'm planning on building my first sbr and its my understanding that its has to be engraved with certain information and I know nothing about engraving. Are there other ways to professionaly engrave Al or is the laser the best? Since the lower is Al does it need to be refinished (i.e. duracoat, parker...etc) or can you leave as it is?

Last dumb question, what does "molon labe" mean?

btw, the images you all have engraved on your lowers are awesome!

thanks
tr

From what I understand, TECHNICALLY laser engraving isn't deep enough to fulfull the requirements for NFA engraving.  What the ATF would say about it, I don't know.

Refinishing a laser engraved firearm will make the area harder to see, or cover it up completely depending on the thickness of the finish.  Something to consider if you want to take your chances with the legalities of laser engraving a SBR.

Molon Labe - short version: Greek for "Come and take them," the response to the Persians by Leonidas when told to lay down their arms.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I bet if the ATF ever found out they'd say the engraver needs to have a license for that since you're working on a firearm. I promise I won't tell!

You may know better than me, but it seems reasonable to think that if the engraver does the work while you wait, within your sight (effectively, you've always got some level of posession/control over your property) it shouldn't really matter.  Not *that* much different than letting your buddy borrow your rifle for an hour at the range (while you're there).

But reason and ATF judgement calls don't always seem to go hand in hand, so what seems reasonable to us, may still be illegal.

If you stay with the weapon, they don't need an FFL to do the engraving because you're still in "possession" of it.  Only if you left it would they need an FFL, just like any other gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#50]
thanks a bunch DDiggler!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top