Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2004 11:28:35 AM EDT
I need something that will yield a pattern like the below image when sprayed over with the "dot" color.  Burlap is too fine.  Any ideas?

-z
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#1]
looks like a grate  try the hardware store...  

ed..

1/4" holes???
looks like one of those vegtable cooking skillets you put on the bbq pit
maybe a trip to the $1.00 store.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used 2 when trying to come up with patterns. I got both from Walmart. The first thing I tried was a plastic "screen" or whatever you want to call it. I picked it up in the craft section but I thought the holes were kinda small and didnt give me a very good pattern.
The best I have tried so far though has been a laundry bag. I think if the mesh pattern are holes as opposed to squares it looks better. It is what I currently have my Mk12 Mod0 camo'd in using the camo Krylon.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#4]
How close does the bag/template have to be to the surface?

I realize that spraying from one direction will make the mask more effective if there's any distance between the gun surface and the template surface..

-z
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I laid the bag right on the rifle and that gave me a good distinctive pattern, if you hold the bag away from the rifle, you might as well not even use the bag because it blends the pattern so much you cant really see it.  Instead, keep the bag on the rifle and vary the distance you spray to do your pattern. The lighter and darker shades of the black showed up very well against the OD green and gave a very good looking (but functional) pattern.
I sprayed a base coat of Krylon OD paint over the entire rifle and let that dry. Afterwards, I used the Krylon flat black all over at varying distances. I had flat brown, but it didnt show up very well against the OD, so I didnt bother.  The best thing to do is to practice on an extra stock or something before doing it on your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#6]

1) Paint your base color on the gun
2) Buy some self adhesive contact paper / shelf liner
3) Buy a grommet hole-punch kit to punch holes in the contact paper.  Grommet kits are sold at most hardware stores in various sizes (1/4", 3/8" & 1/2")
4)  Punch the pattern you'd like into the contact paper.  Use some scrap lumber (2x4, etc.) underneath the hole punch so that it punches cleanly through the paper.
5) Remove paper backing, stick it to the gun and spray away.

Contact paper
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/subcategorylist1.asp?commodityID=64&merchandiseclassid=679&theSessionID=65e8d91c1b24d4de7ccde223863811ed

Grommet kit
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productaddonsdetails.asp?id=23080&theSessionID=65e8d91c1b24d4de7ccde223863811ed&mode=simple&searchexpression=grommet&narrowsearchflag=&pages=1&searchtype=1&ShowType=0

Note: I haven't done this but I'm pretty confident it should work and only cost you a few bucks.  Good luck!

Mike

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Is this something  you  could use, you can get this in differnt lengths at your local post office.

This stuff stretches.

TG
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:16:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I remember soneome did a digital pattern a while back.  They used some patter gotten from a website, but I cannot remember the who/what/when/where of it for the life of me.

KillJoy
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Lauer Custom Weaponry advertises a digital pattern stencil.stencils
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I drew a pattern on graph paper, glued it to poster board for stiffness, and then cut it out.  

I modeled my pattern after the ones on Military Morons  website.  

-skuld
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Or you could send it down to the guys in Del Rio TX, that is their diamond back pattern. They used one of my LTR rifle's for the proto pattern. I can look them up not sure off the top of my head the name of their company.

Duuhhh I just looked at the picture properties. You used one of their pictures ;-)

http://www.hdrifle.com
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd really prefer to do it myself.

I guess I'll just try a bunch of different, random, materials on scrap and see how they turn out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top