Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2004 5:50:47 PM EDT
1200 degree wilver solder, right? I have a DD rail and rather  than pull it and the barrel, then chuck the barrel up and let the DD sit in the middle of the barrel while the weld on the Phantom is turned down, I would like to have it silver soldered.

Anybody had this done before? How does it hold up? This would save me lots and lots of money in labor cost.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
1200 degree wilver solder, right? I have a DD rail and rather  than pull it and the barrel, then chuck the barrel up and let the DD sit in the middle of the barrel while the weld on the Phantom is turned down, I would like to have it silver soldered.

Anybody had this done before? How does it hold up? This would save me lots and lots of money in labor cost.

+1!

I'd also like to know (For those of you that did it yourselves) how bad any discoloration might have been afterward and what you did to fix it (?)

EDIT: What the heck, as long as I'm askin'......if you decide just to blind pin do you HAVE to hit it (The hole) with weld afterward?  Someone told me you "HAD" to but I'm not sure if they were correct or not.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, silver solder works fine. There should be no reason that it would 'fail' later on. A dull red is a signal that you have it hot enough.  I used a plumbers torch running mapp gas.

I used a continuous flow of compressed air flowing thru the barrel to help keep things cool. I though about submerging the upper in water to just below the threads, but I didn't know if that would let me get the barrel hot enough.

Depending on how picky you are, you might want to refinish the FH with a little spray. I didn't tho.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yup, silver solder works fine. There should be no reason that it would 'fail' later on. A dull red is a signal that you have it hot enough.  I used a plumbers torch running mapp gas.

I used a continuous flow of compressed air flowing thru the barrel to help keep things cool. I though about submerging the upper in water to just below the threads, but I didn't know if that would let me get the barrel hot enough.

Depending on how picky you are, you might want to refinish the FH with a little spray. I didn't tho.

I see welders do this little trick at work to protect heat sensitive parts in the piping systems that they weld on.  A good flow of air should keep the bore cool enough and still allow the proper amount of heat to make the solder flow at the FH/MB.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top