Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2011 6:22:11 PM EDT
I'm awaiting my Smith Vortex to be attached to my Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel. I was going to send it to Steve at ADCO since they are close, however one of my best friends works at a tool & die, and has been a metal worker/machinist for years. He'd like to do it for me, and was asking for some pictures, etc.

I know the process is rather easy, however he said pics would help him see how others have done them.

Any help is appreciated, I'm hoping to have this done next week, and get this rifle together shortly after.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Like all things on this site, it's easies if you research your question, by reading All FAQ's
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Heres a tip on the barrel indexing pin and the receiver notch..never file the receiver notch and peene anything,when you put the barrel in the upper if the index pin is snug in the notch with no movement your good if there is any movement do this..a vietnam era marine corps armorer showed me this trick so the barrel doesnt move when theres room in the notch so tourquing wont move the barrel and throw the sights off'

.Use a thin rectangular piece of beer or soda can aluminum and put it behind the index pin while tapping the front of the FSB so set the barrel in it will wrap around the index pin...it gets nice and snug with no movement and will zero in 3 or 4 clicks either way...if the sights are off then it could be a canted FSB.Colt Socom barrels are great and they mate to BCM M4 marked uppers great.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Heres a tip on the barrel indexing pin and the receiver notch..never file the receiver notch and peene anything,when you put the barrel in the upper if the index pin is snug in the notch with no movement your good if there is any movement do this..a vietnam era marine corps armorer showed me this trick so the barrel doesnt move when theres room in the notch so tourquing wont move the barrel and throw the sights off'

.Use a thin rectangular piece of beer or soda can aluminum and put it behind the index pin while tapping the front of the FSB so set the barrel in it will wrap around the index pin...it gets nice and snug with no movement and will zero in 3 or 4 clicks either way...if the sights are off then it could be a canted FSB.Colt Socom barrels are great and they mate to BCM M4 marked uppers great.

OK.....

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Hehehehehehehe
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:54:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the tip, but I thought the question was how to pin and weld a flash hider!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Like all things on this site, it's easies if you research your question, by reading All FAQ's
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Thanks, I did search but never found the FAQs.

I'll pass these along.

ETA: Excellent, I found exactly what I need in there. However, I don't think I'll be using a coat hanger

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top