Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2004 10:36:10 AM EDT
  I am going to use a RRA lower and need some input as to which magwell block is best to use.  I have looked at getting one from RRA but wanted to get some advice from the board.  Also, if you are going to dedicate a lower to 9mm should you drill and pin the block in the lower or is this neccessary?  Does anyone know how the RRA magwell block goes in the lower; does it drop in the magwell from the top or go in from the bottom, and what keeps it in position? It would be great to hear from some of you who have some experience with the various magwell blocks.  Thanks, Greg.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the Tacblock (crossfire clone both of which are no longer made) and now use the bottom loading Hahn which I think is the best.
I have friends that have the RRA block.  The RRA block is identical to the "new" colt block.
The RRA/Colt block bolt secure to the lower by pins that push out from the inside of the block.
The Hahn Block has a wide roller that is pushed from the inside via a set screw you adjust by using the supplied allen wrench.
The Hahn block also has nice built in feed ramp while the other blocks do NOT have this feature.
Note that Hahn makes two blocks.  1 that is bottom and another top loading one.  The top loading won't fall out but does not have the bolt hold open feature when using colt mags.  If I didn't use Colt factory mags, I would go w/ the top loading.  The top loading has the same roller setup to keep the block in place.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an RRA block.  Mine goes in from the bottom and clicks in using the mag release.  There is a hex screw on the bottom that, when turned, makes two tensioning pins come out the front and back of the mag block to keep the block in place.  I really like it, it doesn't move or effect the function of any part of the rifle.  I think this is the block that RRA is making right now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
+2 on the Hy-Tech  block.  So simple it is "goof-proof".  Install it, insert a loaded Uzi mag and let it rip. Screw the hold open, learn to count like a regular Uzi owner (which I also have)

Nothing to worry about being out of place, all measures are correct, so long as lower is in spec as far as mag catch placement.  

Block works as intended, so long as "military" style mags are used (these have the rib on rear).... The block' opening is not cut for commercial "IMI" mags, that is where the tacked thread at top of furum comes into play.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about the early RRA blocks, but my later style RRA block has been flawless!
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Another happy VM Hytech owner here. User-friendly best decribes it. I didn't have to do any tinkering with my RRA/VM-Hytech setup. The VM mag block is a little tight in my bushmaster lower. I have to use a rubber mallet to tap it in and out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Where's the best place to get the ribbed "military" UZI mags?  I have seen IMI mags on several places on the web--DSA, CDNN, Vector, etc., but I don't know whether they're ribbed or not.

Thx
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Define "ribbed"?  I just picked some mags up from DSA at $80.00/10.  I got four marked with a star, 4 with no markings but looked exactly like the star mags, and 2 that have round count marks and holes on the back...  I still can't get pictures to post right here, but I'll send them via email..

Anyone out there with a VM Hy Tech block know if these would wrok easily with that block?
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Where's the best place to get the ribbed "military" UZI mags?  I have seen IMI mags on several places on the web--DSA, CDNN, Vector, etc., but I don't know whether they're ribbed or not.

Thx

The mag in this picture is an example of the "ribbed" mag.... see the "seam" with the spot welds? This is common Mil-contract mag. This mag is indded a "star" mag.

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info.  Not for the first time, I'm glad I checked here as I was just about to buy several UZI mags.  Does anyone know whether or not NEW (and possibly cheaper) mags will be on the market after Sept. 14?  I have thought about just buying 3 or 4 to tide me over until then . . . . .
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#11]
SBR...  All I see is a red x...  Darn red x of picture death!!!

Now I can see the picture!  Server must be back up!  I mentioned before that I bought 10 mags for $80 from DSA and they look just like the one in the picture.  So, for 45nut, DSA looks like a good bet - I think I'll grab a few more for $8 a pop!!!

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Some kind of communication error between Imagestation and AR15 I think.  The linked image is a valid address.. sometimes I see it, sometimes I do not..... I try to stay signed in at imagestation to help remedy the problem..
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks!  And thanks SBR7_11 for the pic.  I think I'll get a few of the mags from DSA and give them a try.  Maybe there'll be some cheaper 32 rounders after the ban sunsets.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#14]
You can get NIW 32rd IMI mags from Vector for $35 each.

I also have the Hy-Tech and have no complaints. I did have to machine a notch in the back of it for my bolt catch to have enough room to operate correctly, but other than that, no problems. Just make sure you practice with it so you don't dump your mag block while doing mag changes.

If the ban does go away, I plan on buying some Colt 32rd mags and a Colt drop in mag block.

M_J
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Will the Hy-tech block work with Oly uppers??
thanks,
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:15:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Will the Hy-tech block work with Oly uppers??
thanks,

No, the Oly system requires that the mag be placed further forward in the mag well.  The Colt system has the mag positioned further back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I was looking at the VM-Hytech but it seems to me that it adds a little too much "meat" to the rifle. I was planning on making a LW 9mm rifle, but was both turned on by its no mods capability and turned off by the added bulk and weight of the VM HYTECH. Comments?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I was looking at the VM-Hytech but it seems to me that it adds a little too much "meat" to the rifle. I was planning on making a LW 9mm rifle, but was both turned on by its no mods capability and turned off by the added bulk and weight of the VM HYTECH. Comments?

I had the same concerns as well as getting used to a different mag release. I still went with the Hytech because I just wanted it to be easy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#19]
My RRA block is great ....as long as you keep the feed ramps clean it will run without a hitch....I also have a Colt lower with the pinned in block...that runs all day with a hitch.....just keep them clean
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I had the RRA mag block, now I have the  Hy-Tech mag block.
The rest of the RRA 9mm rifle is great, its just their mag block that sucks. ( at least mine did)
Mine was never reliable until I switched to the Hy-Tech system. Still uses Uzi mags
but they do not need to be modified. My 9mm ar bump fires very well now
and is finally a reliable gun.

Hey Legs do you know if that will work for uzi mags that are for 40S&W or 41AE?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:22:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey, FQ1234, what mag is that in your picture?  Ihave not seen any "curved" mags for the Colt type 9mm's.  Thanks

ka
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had the RRA mag block, now I have the  Hy-Tech mag block.
The rest of the RRA 9mm rifle is great, its just their mag block that sucks. ( at least mine did)
Mine was never reliable until I switched to the Hy-Tech system. Still uses Uzi mags
but they do not need to be modified. My 9mm ar bump fires very well now
and is finally a reliable gun.

Hey Legs do you know if that will work for uzi mags that are for 40S&W or 41AE?

No I don't know. Each time I buy mags at a gunshow, I take the mag block with me too make sure they fit.
They must be Uzi star mags. None of the others will fit. Its pissed me off many times when I have purchased
large capacity mags only to get home and find out they will not work.

Thanks for the info legs. I got a friend looking into one. Somone said the mag relese is different? can you explain that one a bit? Does it use like a paddle release? one of those ones where if you hit the regular mag release button the adaptor would fall out?

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#24]
The mag button for the Uzi mag is at the bottom of the block,  just like an Uzi..... though the relaese is backwards in operation... Look at the pic, you should be able to see the notch all way at top of pic where AR mag catch hold the block.  As to the jibberish of 1st - 2nd generation block, the paddle was flat on the first run of blocks last year, so John was following the Hy-Tech thread posted at top of this forum, and added a little height to the paddle on the second run.  

My solution was a simple extended mag button for 1911 pistol.

As to the 40/41/45 mag fit, they'll go, but the block needs some filing beyond the mods in the Hy-Tech thread, as those mags have  very sharp corners.  They fit the std Uzi family magwells just fine, John just did not do the same, he cut them to fit the Mil-Contract mags only.  

Now go read the Hy-Tech thread tacked at the top of this forum, and you'll see all kinds of pis and descriptions.

Hy-Tech fitting-repair

Better read  at Quarterbore.com
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The mag button for the Uzi mag is at the bottom of the block,  just like an Uzi..... though the relaese is backwards in operation... Look at the pic, you should be able to see the notch all way at top of pic where AR mag catch hold the block.  As to the jibberish of 1st - 2nd generation block, the paddle was flat on the first run of blocks last year, so John was following the Hy-Tech thread posted at top of this forum, and added a little height to the paddle on the second run.  

My solution was a simple extended mag button for 1911 pistol.

www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid98/p8869d164eccb7cfa5e4ee766f2a52e83/f9fef38b.jpg

As to the 40/41/45 mag fit, they'll go, but the block needs some filing beyond the mods in the Hy-Tech thread, as those mags have  very sharp corners.  They fit the std Uzi family magwells just fine, John just did not do the same, he cut them to fit the Mil-Contract mags only.  

Now go read the Hy-Tech thread tacked at the top of this forum, and you'll see all kinds of pis and descriptions.

Hy-Tech fitting-repair

Better read  at Quarterbore.com

Thanks for all the info. I was reading some of the other posts and saw this won't work with olympic uppers. My luck.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top