Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2003 3:41:37 PM EDT
Hi.  I'm new to the board so be gentle.

I'm getting ready to deploy, and I was looking for some things to throw on my standard issue M16A2 weedwacker.  I've already purchased a M6 light/laser combo, but I'm in need of a scope.  I read one of the stickies about scopes, and it appears that everybody really likes Trijicon, but seeing how I'm just a lowly enlisted man, I cannot afford such an item.

Of course I would love to have nightvision, but again, $$$ is a problem.  My second choice is to get some sort of low-lite red dot scope, but it's not a requirement.  I've been looking at TAPCO's website and some of the NIKON stuff as well.

So what do yall recommend for a scope that will go out to about 500 yards and mount on my carrying handle?  Somewhere around the $100 range would be nice, seeing how I just dropped $250 on the M6.

. . . And I'm in the Marines, so don't count on supply for issueing me anything more than magazines and a pouch.

Semper Fi!!  Ooh-Rah!!  What makes the grass grow?!?!
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You might give Kiesler's a try.  They've got scopes and mounts for reasonable prices.  I just picked up an A.R.M. mount and a set of Springfield rings for under $90 bucks, and it's quality stuff.  They've got lots of scopes to choose from too. Some are of Chinese manufacture but for the price the quality isn't too bad. Also they had a Tasco 6-18x50 on sale for $59 bucks if memory servers. Anyway, check em' out. Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
http://www.kieslersonline.com/

P.S. In answer to your question at in your signature, BLOOD, BLOOD, BLOOD, LOL, am I right?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#2]
He could also go to Tasco and their Leaper scopes.

Leapers are cheap, but surprisingly good.  I wouldn’t use them for precision shooting, but they are still quite good.

[url=www.tapco.com/product_list.asp?dept=4&last=3]Tapco's Leapers Scopes[/url]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]
E-mail sent.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies so far.

In case you can't tell, I'm fairly new to all of this.  Most of my gun experience has been with handguns, and what experience I do have with my M16A2 has always been what the Corps has given me (absolutely nothing).

I really do like the Leapers as they seem to have a good build to them and the right price.

I've been looking at their website, and I really like their AccuShot-Illuminted Recticle series.  However, TASCO doesn't seem to sell that particular series.

Do yall think I'm headed in the right direction for what I'm looking for?  Something that can be used in a low-light situation is what I'm getting at and this series of scopes seems to fit the bill, but I haven't seen a price on them yet.

Is there anything out there that I should stay away from?  A brand in particular?

Once again thanks guys.

And TNFrank. . . Marines make the blood flow!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]
This won't be any help to you Gunny_Highway, so i apologize for hijacking your thread. Good luck though. But I do have a question about this topic:
The military doesn't provide your equipment?
How does this work? One of the guys i used to work with told me that he had to get his BDU's from eBay. huh? I thought everything was issued.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#6]
No, not really.  All of the uniforms you get in boot camp that are "issued" to you are actually taken out of your bank account (which you set up when you go).  

They do issue you your T/O weapon (Beretta M16 etc) and magazines, pouches and cleaning gear.  However, you don't get all the fancy stuff unless you're in Airborne or SF or somebody who has a big budget like that. So we have to go out and fend for ourselves.  Some units get the M4, some don't.  Some get the sites, most don't.

So at this moment (just prior to deployment), I'm trying to get everything I think will give me an edge. I've already bought an Streamlight M6 (still need rail mounts), and now I'm working on a low-light scope.  I'll probably end up purchasing a front, vertical grip of some sort and some magazines for the Beretta, seeing how the ones they issue us suck.  The springs in them are crap and they won't load the rounds very well.  The problem with that is, if I want the 15 round capacity, I have to pay $75 for one mag, which would get expensive.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]
If I was being deployed into combat I would get the Trijicon TA-31. I know they are expensive. But would you put cheap bias ply tires on your new corvette??? I would want the best scope or tires. Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I was being deployed into combat I would get the Trijicon TA-31. I know they are expensive. But would you put cheap bias ply tires on your new corvette??? I would want the best scope or tires. Just my 2 cents
View Quote

Unfortunately, we enlisted guys don't get paid that much.  A Trijicon sight cost what I would bring in during a 2 week paycheck.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to call B.S. on this one.  Since when does the Corps let you put whatever you want on your M-16?  You don't just get otpics "prior to deployment" that you've never qualified at the range with.  Please shed some light on this. . .what unit are you with?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have to call B.S. on this one.  Since when does the Corps let you put whatever you want on your M-16?  You don't just get otpics "prior to deployment" that you've never qualified at the range with.  Please shed some light on this. . .what unit are you with?
View Quote

Most turn a blind eye to this.  I've never actually seen a rule saying we can't, with the exception of the range of course.  I believe it's the same with gear as well.  We all know what kind of boots they issue, but nobody cares if you buy different boots or different gloves or flashlights or bring a K-Bar along.  I see no problem with this.  If I want a scope on my M16 and I'm not qualifying with it, what's the problem?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#11]
The Beretta mags can be had for less than $20 each in blued or stainless steal at www.cheaperthandirt.com in 15 & 17 rounds. I have 5 of the 17 round stainless and they function great.
What about a red dot scope for now, seach the site at thesportsmansguide.com for some types and prices.....Just a thought if your on a budget.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#12]
wouldn't he be able to buy post-ban high-cap mags for a lot cheaper?
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#13]
As a long-time AR owner (34+ years)and coyote hunter in all kinds of weather, I personally like the Bushnell Banner 1.4 - 4.5 scope.  It will cost you less than $70 at Cabela's and other stores; offers great view and light gathering at 1.5 power, with good long-range sighting at the upper level.  It's probably more rugged than those Chinese scopes, and should handle just about anything you can run across.  I have two of them, and swear by them.
Good luck on your deployment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Gunny I'm in the same boat as you.  I don't have a lot of personal expereince but i have done a lot of reading and talking to professionals lately and this is some information that i have acquired that may be pertinent:

So far from my research and talking to people, what I have come up with is this.

1 - expensive zoom scopes (like $1000) are nice, but the cheap zoom scopes are very low quality and it means they will sacrifice quality in other ways and the crosshair won't always be right on target, so it's not worth it..and fixed magnification is better for the cheap shooter

2 - 5-15x is the best range of magnification.  at 1000 yards most professionals still prefer 10x.  for 500 yards and closer, 5x...since you're going fixed, you don't want to be on the higher end of the spectrum, because it will be more difficult to find closer objects

3 - often the optics are the limiting factor, not the gun.  remember, your gun is only as good as its weakest link, so if you get a cheap $100 scope that won't stay on target, how can you possibly stay on target?

4 - I was recommended this scope:
ATN Professional 5x33 Rifle Scope

it costs a little under $200
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not trying to start anything Gunny but I think it is odd that you have to buy equipment to take to the sandbox with you.  I'm deploying shortly myself and I'm issued all my equipment.  You being a Marine and all I would think they would issue you what you need.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No, not really.  All of the uniforms you get in boot camp that are "issued" to you are actually taken out of your bank account (which you set up when you go).  

They do issue you your T/O weapon (Beretta M16 etc) and magazines, pouches and cleaning gear.  However, you don't get all the fancy stuff unless you're in Airborne or SF or somebody who has a big budget like that. So we have to go out and fend for ourselves.  Some units get the M4, some don't.  Some get the sites, most don't.
View Quote

That philosphy makes me so fuckin sick. They make our boys pony up to defend this country! What next, Dues to remain enlisted? I suppose we should all be "thankful" they haven't gone so damned soft (yet) that customiztions are verboten because it hurts the poorer guy in the unit's feelings.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Having are troops provide there own accessories is nothing compared to wounded soldiers at Walter Reed having to pay for the food that they eat while they are staying there. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and I know one thing, the military/government should be very ashamed of itself for having such a policy. Remember that when you are getting shot at.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Pulpsmack, I agree with you but know this:  The units that need the gear get the gear.  If you are in a unit that is going to be on the front lines, you will get what you need to fight the battle.  If you are in a unit that is "in the rear with the gear" you are probably not going to be issued optics or any add-ons for your M-16.  That's why I asked what unit he was with.  If he's a supply or admin poge, he doesn't need optics.  
Wolfj2
USMC 1988-1999
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Gunny, check out www.crankyfarmer.com for his scope prices, you'll be pleasantly suprised.  

Can't speak for the survivability or hyperaccuracy of the scopes, but c'mon, you're sticking them on an issued M16, and the chances that you're going to be taking shots greater than 200 yards is slim, and even my half blind ass can make that mark.

Open sights are lighter (even the Marines have to admit that more weight is a pain in ass, right?) less breakable, better for sighting in moving targets and less tempermental when trying to fit on your face while wearing the rest of your gear anyway.  Plus, they're repairable by your armorer should something happen.

Now if only they could make the m16 so that it wouldn't FTF if you so much as breath on it wrong.....  Sorry, BCT jaded the hell outta me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey Gunny, my condolences on the gear situation.  I had a conversation with my dad (CSM, USA Ret.) the other day about that very thing.  It's a crying shame.

My recommendation would be as follows:

1)Ditch the M6.  I'm a big fan of the M3/M6 tac-lights, but I'm not going to war.  Buy yourself a Surefire light with a shock isolated bezel, front sight mount, and tape switch.

2)Buy the Aimpoint with Railgrabber/Gooseneck mount, or a carry handle mounted ACOG.  Max out the plastic if you need to.  

If your going to war, your betting your life on your gear.  Make sure you get it right the first time.

Good luck and God speed; our prayers are with all of you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pulpsmack, I agree with you but know this:  The units that need the gear get the gear.  If you are in a unit that is going to be on the front lines, you will get what you need to fight the battle.  If you are in a unit that is "in the rear with the gear" you are probably not going to be issued optics or any add-ons for your M-16.  That's why I asked what unit he was with.  If he's a supply or admin poge, he doesn't need optics.  
Wolfj2
USMC 1988-1999
View Quote

I'm with a Helo unit who will be flying the ground pounders into the HLZ's and I've also been known to volunteer for missions outside of my unit.  I've been on the ground before in Counter-drug missions, and I never want to walk into a situation like that again and not be ready.  The way I figure is better safe than sorry.  It kind of follows that train of thought when you go on vacation. . . it's better to bring too much than not enough.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My recommendation would be as follows:

1)Ditch the M6.  I'm a big fan of the M3/M6 tac-lights, but I'm not going to war.  Buy yourself a Surefire light with a shock isolated bezel, front sight mount, and tape switch.

Good luck and God speed; our prayers are with all of you.
View Quote

The reason I got the M6 is because it can be mounted on both the M16 and the POS Beretta (which is why I opted for the M6 and not just the M3; for pistol situations).  And when all this is said and done, it can go on my home defense Glock 21.  I got it new off Ebay for $230, so atleast I didn't pay the $350 gun shop price for it.

I would just like to say that all of you are awesome.  Usually when someone new comes to these boards, the "old-timers" usually just tell the "newbie" to use the search button, but you guys have really helped me out, and you put it out in newbie terms.  

SEMPER FI!!  I'm glad you are the type of people I'm defending as opposed to those Michael Moore's out there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Gunny I'm in the same boat as you, waiting on orders now and collecting gear. as far as a scope goes do not I repeat DO NOT buy any thing cheap. if you have to wait a couple of months then do it! for your sitrep get the acog but for now use iron, when you have the money hop online and e-mail me or one of the other mil's on this board and we will get it to you!  A cheap scope will make you feel good until you find it hitting way off or the reticle turns. Also you will not be "babying" your equip over there as you would have to with a "cheap" scope.E-mail me and I will give you my .mil acct
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm with Troy on the scope issue. But, as far as the beretta mags, is the problem you are having something that could be dealt with by replacement springs, or are you having trouble with the mag bodies?
Oh, and if I couldn't, for whatever reason, take one one of Troys suggestions, I might give this a try[url=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0006267710153a&navAction=push&navCount=5&indexId=cat20760&podId=0006267&catalogCode=XD&parentId=cat20760&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&hasJS=true]Leupold fixed power[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Simmons 44 Mag scopes are pretty tough and are now availble with mil-dots, but I don't know if you really want a magnified scope.

Probably best to spend the dough on a good Aimpoint Comp or ACOG.  It's YOUR LIFE on the line.... well, possibly anyway.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#27]
"the Leupold offerings won't work well at all with an A2 upper" - Troy

Why not?
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm with Troy on the scope issue. But, as far as the beretta mags, is the problem you are having something that could be dealt with by replacement springs, or are you having trouble with the mag bodies?
Oh, and if I couldn't, for whatever reason, take one one of Troys suggestions, I might give this a try[url=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0006267710153a&navAction=push&navCount=5&indexId=cat20760&podId=0006267&catalogCode=XD&parentId=cat20760&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&hasJS=true]Leupold fixed power[/url]
View Quote

The problem being reported from the guys who've already been there is that the springs aren't loading the next round in the chamber.  Some said they were taking the springs out and stretching them, but I'm not too sure about that method being the one I would use.

Well guys, I still haven't decided on the scope yet, but I am getting down to crunch time (read less than 2 weeks), so I need to get on the ball.  I might just have to wait it out, since the kind of money yall say I need, just doesn't exist, especially with all the extra crap I'm going to have to buy here so I don't freeze my arse off.

Thanks anyways guys.  Yall have been awesome.

One quick question though, do yall know where I can get a front tactical grip to mount to the stock M16 guards?

Oh, one more, I'm also looking for a good tactical sling of some kind. . . what are some good suggestions?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top