Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 8:48:04 PM EST
Basically I need to have something in my hands by Nov 13th.

I see 1pt, 2pt, 3pt slings but don't know what they mean or what is best.

I usually walk about 6-10 miles a day around the acreage I hunt. Last year I used a piece of rope and shoulder strap from a laptop...Not comfortable.

I'm using a RRA with a 6pt stock and there are the loop holes in the stock for a sling to go through as well as under the front sight.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:51:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2009 2:53:45 AM EST by MJL]
For your purposes a 2-point sling is probably best. A 2-point sling is a very common design and probably what you are already used to.

A one-point sling is attached to the rifle at a single pint, usually at the rear of the receiver. They are favored by people who do a lot of work from vehicles or other situations where maneuverability is a major requirement. A one-point will allow the rifle to flop around a lot while you are walking thus making it less comfortable in the long run. Also, one-points don't aid much with stabilizing the rifle, if you use your sling for stability when shooting.

A 3-point would also work, but probably isn't necessary for what you are planning. 3-points are usually set up similarly to 2-points, but they give the shooter a few more options for how to use the sling. Personally I don't think they are worth it. I used one for several years and spent the whole time wishing I would one day be allowed to replace it with a 2-point. Other people think they are great.

Also, I would suggest a padded sling if you are going to be walking around a lot, and wider slings are generally more comfortable than narrower ones.
I like my Vtac padded 2-point a lot. There are many other good options out there.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:53:43 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:17:00 AM EST
The MasterBlaster 2pt sling from Texas Huntco is a hunting sling with a tactical feel to it. Its quick adjustable, quick detachable and has a rugged elastic end that holds it tight in any position. Check it out:

SLING
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:47:23 AM EST
In a pinch, a golf bag strap works well too...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:52:59 AM EST
USGI, nylon....quiet, affordable....
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:03:42 AM EST
Magpul MS2

Allows 1 and 2 point carry
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:37:54 AM EST
In my area if your hunting the rifle is in your hands. We don't have wide open spaces.

Go with a 2 point sling. Me I like Leather (turner manuf) does not slip off like nylon.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:45:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2009 7:49:34 AM EST by M-4GUNNY]
Originally Posted By tbougie1:
USGI, nylon....quiet, affordable....

This. I have used all kinds of SuperDuper Tactical Cool 1, 2, and 3 point slings over the past few years and I keep coming back to my USGI sling and this will probably be the sling that I will continue to use. You should be able to find one for less than 8 dollars. I have seen a few at flea markets and at surplus stores going for about 2 dollars.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:28:28 AM EST
Vicker Combat Sling or Viking Tactics Sling

Two most popular slings out there...and for very good reason. Hell, Chris Costa runs the Vickers Combat Sling
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:47:42 AM EST

I really like the Urban ERT sling... Goes from single to two point with ease. Comfortable for all day wear.

Urban ERT Sling
Top Top