Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 10:07:21 PM EST
Ok I just picked up an ATI Omni Hybrid AR15. I had done no prior research before getting the rifle and now I have read some pretty bad reviews about jamming and what not. My questions are: Can I replace the bolt and trigger groups to have a much more reliable rifle? Or are the issues with this gun here to stay? I have not fired the gun yet so I don't know if it will jam... I just want to know before hand if it does I can fix it... thanks also any input about the gun I purchased would be helpful
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:20:25 PM EST
A simple change on the bolt and trigger will not solve any unseen problems. You are gonna have to see if there are any actual problems with the gun then trouble shoot those problems specifically. Otherwise you might need to replace everything.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:22:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2015 10:24:10 PM EST by bobweaver]
Changing the BCG or trigger isn't going to solve the problems people have been having with those rifles. The issues are due to their design, plain and simple. Drop in demand and high supply volumes has created a buyers market on AR15's and you can build or purchase a quality starter rifle in the $600 range. I'm not sure how much you paid for it but I would suggest selling the polymer ATI and getting something reliable or you will not enjoy your entrance into the AR world.

Edit: Welcome to the board.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:23:51 PM EST
What other parts would cause an ftf or fte? They say this gun needs a lot of lube right out of the box
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:26:50 PM EST
Sell the gun. Find a local facebook group or something and get rid of it.

then do your research and buy a quality rifle. If you start replacing stuff you will end up paying just as much as replacing it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:27:52 PM EST
Shoot it til it has a problem and go from there. It could run like a champ. Won't know until you shoot it..
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:29:40 PM EST
The problem is more that the lower receiver is plastic and prone to breaking.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:49:10 PM EST
What other parts would cause an ftf or fte? They say this gun needs a lot of lube right out of the box
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:17:10 PM EST
Sorry idk why that posted a bunch of times
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:46:32 PM EST
I have found the suffering thew a 1000 rds will fixed most problems or highlight the ones that need work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:38:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 12:44:03 PM EST by Marine6680]
Failure to feed and failure to eject can have different issues.

Usually all related to the upper or the magazine, but a poly lower may throw that off.

Is the lower one of those with a metal insert? I am unfamiliar with the poly lowers, I just buy aluminum ones.

Poorly aligned feed ramps, or feed ramps with burs on them can cause feed issues. Sometimes a polishing will help.

Bad mags can cause feed issues.

A bad extractor, or weak extractor spring can cause extraction and ejection issues. A weak ejector spring can cause ejection issues.

A system that is over gassed (quite common in carbine length gas systems, though degree varies) can cause feeding and extraction/ejection issues. Using a heavier buffer can help that.

If the rifle seems to function well enough, you can get a new lower for $50 from places like PSA, and replace the poly lower just reuse the internal parts from the poly lower.

If the the upper is poly too... Then definitely replace it as well. Poly Uppers are not really common, the carbon 15 is the only one I know of. Uppers from PSA are around $40, just reuse parts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:01:24 PM EST
I wouldn't be so pessimistic. You're trying to solve a problem that at present is nonexistent.

Take it out and run it and address any issues then ... or not.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:01:43 PM EST
Thanks guys I'm going to the range tomorrow to run a few boxes through it
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:04:24 PM EST
Yep, you're right, reviews don't look good.
Are you after a rifle that could potentially last you your lifetime? I say buy right first time around.

I'd recommend you to sell the rifle, or trade it against a good quality stock AR15. Colt, BCM, Windham Weaponry, Spikes Tactical, S&W make good rifles.

As it's brand new and hasn't been shot, you'll get more money for it. And you might also be able to return it.
Seriously, you'll want a good AR15 to begin with, and once you have one, you'll be hooked. You'll be glad you got a good AR.
You can't go cheap with this sport - you really do get what you pay for.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:29:59 PM EST
Just shoot the danm thing. Your only 'questionable' part is the poly lower. Shoot it. If it works (it probably will), GREAT. If not, just get a regular stripped lower, swap out the trigger etc and call it GTG.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:02:17 PM EST
Shoot it... If you have issues invest in a quality piece and put a dedicated 22 upper on that one or put in a conversion and make it a cheap plinker.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:56:22 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nickforney:
Sell the gun. Find a local facebook group or something and get rid of it.

then do your research and buy a quality rifle. If you start replacing stuff you will end up paying just as much as replacing it.
View Quote
+1 get yourself a Daniel Defense and be done.
Top Top