Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/8/2004 7:19:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 7:20:27 PM EST by 168hpbt]
Hello fellow shooters,

Fine site here, wish I'd learned of it years ago.

I have a Colt/AR-15 Pre-Ban with a 1/7 chrome lined barrel. Trouble is to adj elevation I have to use the front sight. Think its a A-1 Sight? I have M1-A1 and a few NM grands in 308 & -06. mentioned this to give background on person needing this upgrade help. I Plan to use it for Service Rifle Matches, plus scoped option for Hunting.

I have shot/reloaded for 30 years. Still have much to learn and know when I need experenced advice.

What brand(s) of top recv to get, Rock River?
What mistakes or pitfalls to avoid? I'm not up on AR's price info at all.
Whats a fair price? S/H? Companies to buy from?

Last months gun show here, thought I saw an A-4 upper with extended height rail with a detachable carry handle with adj sights. Had forward assist handle and gate cover also, $185. Is that a fair px? If so I will need to wait for another g/show or mail order. Can't remember name of company in N. AZ selling them.

Brownells has them without forward assist, but i wanted that option as a pref.

Thanks Guys,

Climber
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:30:39 PM EST
i have a colt 6700. i have ordered 3 rock river arms a2 lowers and can't wait to get them. i also ordered 2 rock river arms uppers (at different times got one to look at first after ban expired) the appearance is very nice for the one i have already received, the other shoudl be here next week. the upper fit very nice and snug onto my colt lower without any problems. i am now contemplating ordering my 3rd upper and it will almost for sure be a rock river (too bad colt won't sell seperate lowers and uppers). order direct from rock river over the web right now and there is no shipping and the prices are very cheap compared to other bushmaster, olympic arms, dpms and calvary arms. hell i should go and order my 3rd upper and get it over with. i also ordered me a calvary arms lower just to see what they look like (curiosity) just wish i was rich so i would not have to piece meal.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:58:42 PM EST
I, too, am in the market to replace the upper on what I call my Colt Post- Pre-Ban; I bought it in 1990 right after Colt started making them again. It's an A-2 H-Bar with fixed carry handle. All I have done to it is put a Harris bipod on it, realizing if I put anymore on it it would weigh as much as my M-1 and then some!

I'm looking, as well, for a M-4 type upper, nothing tricked out. I have read so much here I'm more confused now more than anything.

Everyone seems to gush over the Rock River assemblys.

I will be curious to see the replies here...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:04:07 PM EST
I just swapped out the A2 upper on my preban Colt with an Ammetec A3 upper a few days ago. He is local here in AZ (Mesa) and is a nice guy. You have to pay tax (vs. shipping), but you can walk in to his shop and walk out with an upper. One thing you need to pay attention to is if you have a large hole Colt lower, then you will need to get an the correct front pivot pin to apapt a large hole Colt lower to a small hole upper.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:29:48 PM EST
Oh. I know the front pin on my A2 is way bigger than my M-16 pin was on my service rifle. It makes the upper not so wobbly but I will definitely have to check it out.

Do they make some sort of adapter pin or does the new upper have to be sized for the bigger pin...?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:31:03 PM EST
Yes the do make adapter pins I have used them on my SP1 and I cant stand them. If you try to tighten it then it binds because the offset doesnt line up evenly on both sides of the pin. I would love to get a large hole A2 upper. I shoot left handed so I need a brass deflector ( cant stand the add on ones) .
Top Top