Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/19/2006 12:45:14 AM EDT
Hi,

what I am looking for is a fixed rear sight.
I like the LaRue because it has the mount-leaver on the righthand side
so it would not disturb my when doing a speed-clean.

But from what I read yet seams the LaRue not so adjustable like other rear sights.

What about the DPMS and the LMT fixed rear sights ?
Do the have the mount-divise on the right-hand-side ?
Area thea as much ajustable as the original ar15 iron´s ?
What are your experiance ?

Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Gruess dich Polizei-Berlin!

You can’t go wrong with the LMT if your searching for a fixed rear BUIS. The LMT’s are built like a Panzer!!! And if your looking for a BUIS that is adjustable like the original A2 sights then the LMT is it.

I made my own LMT style BUIS by cutting an old removable carry handle. Very similar to the LMT, if you have an old carry handle available you might consider this.

My Cut Carry Handle BUIS:

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:17:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Quib for the hint.
But the Handel on my Sabre Defence will be some chinese model.
I write will eb since it is on order and will hit the ground in March.

So this chinese sight has not so good reputitions.

The LMT one looks like the mounting divise is on the left.
So I dont think this is a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:32:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The LMT one looks like the mounting divise is on the left.
So I dont think this is a good idea.

I too did not care for the large knob on my BUIS and replaced it with a ¼” nut. Saved a little bit of weight and made that side of the weapon a little more streamlined. I would not do this to a LMT BUIS, but didn’t have a problem cutting and modifying my cut carry handle.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Sir -

As many of these guys have asked me several times when I said the same thing about the LaRue...  What reason do you feel you NEED the elevation wheel of the A2 rear sight?

I say I want it for the range as my friends and I frequently have an informal 500 yard iron sight competition with our 14.5" and 16" ARs.  But if I didn't need it for that, I wouldn't have any use at all for the elevation wheel.  

All of my other rear sights just have folding BUIS with no elevation adjustment, and that is all I need.

I've never personally seen it happen, but MSTN says that he has personally seen the LMT elevation wheel break.  

LaRue had a prototype model with the elevation wheel, but none are available, and LaRue apparently has no plans to make one.  The story is that the military requested the rear sight WITHOUT the elevation wheel.  Less moving parts means less to break.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I went with Larue because of simplicity.  I love it!  If you like adjustability go with LMT, they are very nice also.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an LMT sight, and I wish I had the Larue!  

I had forgotten how much I dislike A2 style sights.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I went with Larue because of simplicity.  I love it!  If you like adjustability go with LMT, they are very nice also.

+1
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Depending on what you are going to mount on there I have the RRA Dominator mount and its great.  Has the elevation in case you need it.  Great sight picture with my Eotech.
As others have said you probably don't need the elevation but you never know.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#9]
My cut Colt carry handle is my favorite fixed rear sight.  I like having the elevation adjustment because you can facilitate both apertures being on the same plane.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#10]

What reason do you feel you NEED the elevation wheel of the A2 rear sight?

For shooting accurate out to 300 meters. I Thought it would be easier just to "dail" in the distance at the rear sight and hit dead on....like I was used to it with my G3....am I wrong ???

@efpeter:

I have an LMT sight, and I wish I had the Larue!

Why is that so ?

But isn´t the LaRue like a A2 sight exept the mitting elevation weel ???

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:47:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

But isn´t the LaRue like a A2 sight exept the mitting elevation weel ???

Thanks.

Not exactly.  The windage adjustment dial sits flush in the sight's housing, so there's nothing sticking out that can accidentally be knocked around or re-adjusted.  The adjustment mechanism is a decent sized slot that can be adjusted with a thick coin or a case rim.  It has a reasonably tight friction fit that it isn't going to budge from it's setting unless you are trying to adjust it.

One other thing, I believe it's a bit smaller in profile so if you are running an optic, it doesn't take up as much rail space.  This is more important with optics that have access controls on the rear of the faceplate (i.e., EoTech's).  Depending on your forearm height you can push EoTech's to overhang the delta ring and forearm so that may not be an issue, but if you are running a 512/552 that uses AA's along with M4 handguards, then you'll be constrained how far forward you can mount the optic.  In this case, the smallest possible BUIS is a good thing.

If you aren't running any optic, have you considered a conventional removable carry handle?  There you get full A2 adjustability, but again, you have the knobs sticking out, prone to all the problems that the LaRue is designed to correct.  You just need to figure out if those design features are important to you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I know I'll get boo'ed out of the forum, but the DPMS detachable rear sight has two thumb-type screws that are on the right side rather than the left.

This is one of my all-time favorite fixed rear sights, but a couple guys on the board had durability issues with the cross-bolts, and the sight's reputation never recovered.  I really believe it was an older vs. newer model, where the older model's cross-bolts were machined flat in the middle.  I like how the rear elevation wheel is exposed at the back, making it much easier to turn.

Here is another suggestion just for the heck of it...

See if you can find a Gen1 Rock River Arms Dominator on the Equipment Exchange for somewhere in the $75 - $85 dollar range, and then just cut off the extension for the EOTech.  What that would leave you with is an A2 BUIS that attaches with hex screws and doesn't stick out on either side.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#13]

I would not do this to a LMT BUIS
I didn't mind a bit! I couldn't stand that huge knob on the side, so I did basically the same thing as Quib. I merely grabbed the knob with a pair of pliers and twisted it right off. Since the threads weren't damaged, I took the sight to a hardware store, and found a blued nut to fit (metric M5). Once I tightened the sight down onto the receiver, I dremeled off the remaining threads. A little refinish to match the gun, and it was done.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top