Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/14/2003 7:17:26 AM EDT
Ok guys I know everyone seems to talk 5.56 in here but I am in need of some opinions here and can't seem to get an answer from some other places...Here's the deal I want to do some "tacticalplinking" out to maybe 500yds with a Remmington M700.  I plan to shoot NATO spec surplus for plinking and the S&B Match stuff for SHTF  So my question is this...is the S&B anygood and if I use the same/close weight gr as the surplus stuff will my POI be the same /close??!!  I really would appreciate your info on this Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If I were you I would consider one of the premium loads using the Nosler Ballistic Tip design. Winchester and Federal are both nice choices. Out to 500 or 600 yards these loads will give you match grade accuracy and they have far better terminal performance than FMJ or the OTM. Being the ballistic tips come in 150 gr versions, you can use commercial 150 gr FMJ for plinking. This should help keep your POI very close, maybe even out to some distance. If you plan to shoot at very longe ranges (out to 1000 yards), then the Sierra MatchKing 175 gr loads rule.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
"S&B" and "Match Grade" have just been used in the same sentance. That is as close that they will ever get. Blasting ammo is where you see S&B, not at any competition beyond 50 yds. Point of impact at 500 yds will be different for different profile bullets even though they are the same weight. If you want to impact within one minute of angle or less, work up your zeros for each different round. If you can accept a greater dispersion (called area fire), set your sights anywhere you want and blast away.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top