Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2003 2:25:29 PM EDT
I am moving an existing upper to a dedicated lower that I will use an Ace ARFX stock that I just bought. So I need a lower with everythng except the plastic buttstock if I read it correctly.

I have a source for Eagle Arms lower (stripped and complete).

What are the pros and cons of buying a stripped lower as compared to an fully assembled lower?   I realize I may need a few tools (punches, etc) to build up a lower.  Should I buy a lower parts kit if I go the stripped route?  or buy the individual pieces.  Also What is a good (and cost effective) source for GOOD parts?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the price diffrence? The price for a stripped lower should run 100.00(+ -) Lower kit 50.00 (+ -). If the complete lower is around 150.00 go for it. As far as putting together a lower, it is simple takes about an hour and is a lot of fun.For the tools,yes some are needed but not too many. I used a few diffrent sized small nails insted of the punches, worked great.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy the stripped lower, IMO its fun and easy to assemble your lower from parts. Get an Eagle Arms lower from Quantico Arms for $100 (unless you know someplace cheaper). Get an RRA parts kit from Legal Transfers for $55.  Dont buy the parts seperate, it will cost you a fortune. The instructions here: [url]http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/[/url] will tell you everything you need to know, if not, ask here!!
Have fun!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Adco has got about the best prices on any Rock River parts.  They also ship for only $4 on anything, including complete guns.  You could build a lower for $170 plus the FFL transfer if applicable.  Go for it, its not that hard and you don't really need but two specific tools.  Print the Assembly page located on the left side with the page links.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:03:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am moving an existing upper to a dedicated lower that I will use an Ace ARFX stock that I just bought. So I need a lower with everythng except the plastic buttstock if I read it correctly.

I have a source for Eagle Arms lower (stripped and complete).

What are the pros and cons of buying a stripped lower as compared to an fully assembled lower?   I realize I may need a few tools (punches, etc) to build up a lower.  Should I buy a lower parts kit if I go the stripped route?  or buy the individual pieces.  Also What is a good (and cost effective) source for GOOD parts?
View Quote

Fully assembled lowers generally have a stock and buffer tube in place. If you don't need those, go with the stripped lower and the parts kit.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I  appreciate all the good replies!  I have found a source for Eagle lowers and will get the stripped lower and a parts kit.

A good armorer and gun dealer that I have come to trust told me that I really should get a couple tools and learn to build an AR15 to be able to maintain them for the long run in case the SHTF.  I concider myself fairly mechanically inclined, so with all the good instruction available I'm going to "go for it".
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Real easy to assemble the lower.  Use the link posted in a earlier post above to aid in the assembly.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top