Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/1/2005 9:59:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/1/2005 9:59:46 AM EST by Sgt_Hathcock]
I was shooting with a friend last weekend. We had a blue tarp on the ground to catch the brass and to rest on, and I was firing prone using a bipod on my Colt SP-1. We did some rapid fire and had her pretty hot, so we let her sit for a few minutes to cool down. While it was sitting we were chatting and when we looked we noticed the wind had flipped the tarp up over the muzzle of the rifle. Of course the intense heat caused the melting of the tarp leaving a plastic residue on the final 6" of the muzzle. We stopped shooting as we didn't want to scorch the plastic residue any more than it was. I have since picked off by fingernail the plastic that were easy to get, but it's some pretty tenacious stuff. I don't want harm her by trying something that has any chance of causing damage as she's pretty mint.

Any ideas from the pros?
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 10:10:22 AM EST
Solvent?
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 10:16:28 AM EST
burn it off?

go shooting then try to scrub the warm plastic off with a brass brush and some oil. you can heat the barrel with a hair dryer for the same effect.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 8:26:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By Gregory_K:
burn it off?

go shooting then try to scrub the warm plastic off with a brass brush and some oil. you can heat the barrel with a hair dryer for the same effect.

+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 4:14:34 PM EST
Hair dryer or a heat gun used for electrical shrink tubing. Get it hot, start to melt and wipe off, keep doing this and finish for with some gun scrubber or contact cleaner.

77Bronc
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 12:26:25 PM EST
Ed's Red (homemade) bore cleaner has acetone - it would probably remove plastic. Google for the recipe. Or just acetone. Or shotgun choke cleaners - they are desinged to remove wad fouling.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:24:31 AM EST
You could stick it in the freezer and then continue to chip away at it. Some plastic disassociate like this.
Top Top