Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/15/2003 4:58:15 AM EDT
i was talking with my class 3 dealer yesterday and he said this: the ban will sunset. if they write a new ban then that ban will be effective the day they sign it. therefore all rifles made prior to the new ban would be pre-ban. so, he says no matter what, all current rifles will be legal to put "evil" features on when the ban sun sets even if a new ban is put into law.

does this sound correct? i hope i'm explaning it clearly, but it made sense when he said it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:14:58 AM EDT
No, not correct. All of the current bills in Congress eliminate the sunset from happening at all. If any of those bills pass Congress (very unlikely in the current political situation), then only pre-1994 guns will be pre-bans. In addition to that, three of the four bills severely restrict transfer of such guns so that people who do own them will be hard pressed to sell them unless it is to a law enforcement agency (who won't pay the restricted market price since they can still get new ones). Should the original ban actually sunset with no new legislation passing then all of these bills would have to be rewritten to accomdate that. How the antis woud rewrite them is anyone's guess; but you can bet it won't be favorable to us where they can manage it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:18:29 AM EDT
Remember they don't HAVE to do anything with a law. It can read any way they want it to read, if its not constitional thats when the court needs to step in. In theory they could pass a law after the ban that tell us we need to turn in all our semi-auto firearms to the state, no matter when we bought them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 9:15:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/16/2003 8:30:25 PM EDT by Suburban]
Originally Posted By ANGST: In theory they could pass a law after the ban that tell us we need to turn in all our semi-auto firearms to the state, no matter when we bought them.
View Quote
Not bloody likely. That would be expensive, and I'm sure someone will be shot as they go around collecting SAWs. It took a while to get the current ban passed right? We now have a more gun friendly congress, and if they do pass one of the new bills, it will take a while, and probably a few edits. EDIT: It seems I've missed the point.... again. [IMG]http://www.smilies.okipages.com/s/contrib/sarge/CrossEye_anim.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 9:32:52 PM EDT
hmmm australia had a whole big thing about the government confiscating guns from all law-abiding citizens. They called it a "buy-back program" Sound scary? What do you guys think? [url]http://www.thecourier.com.au/detail.asp?class=news&subclass=local&category=general%20news&story_id=259022&y=2003&m=10[/url]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:57:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Suburban:
Originally Posted By ANGST: In theory they could pass a law after the ban that tell us we need to turn in all our semi-auto firearms to the state, no matter when we bought them.
View Quote
Not bloody likely. That would be expensive, and I'm sure someone will be shot as they go around collecting SAWs.
View Quote
No it's not likely, or even a remote possibility. It was an extreme example used to illustrate a point.
Top Top