Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/14/2004 4:40:11 PM EST
Hey guys,

I'm hoping some of you can help me out. I've got 3 Colt M4 carbines that came standard with the Colt H2 buffer. The H2 buffer is heavier than the standard carbine buffer or the H or Heavy buffer. I have noticed that with my Colt carbines that have the H2 buffer in them cycle more smoothly than carbines with the standard carbine buffer.

So here is my delima.....I have 2 post ban Bushmasters that I'm in the process of putting carbine stock on and want a heavier buffer. I was going to purchase a couple Colt H2 or H3 buffers but they are around $100 a piece plus shipping....I don't have over $200 to shell out for 2 buffers...So I'm looking at other options. I know of one member here on ARFCOM that is using the heavier 9mm carbine buffer, but it is $150.

I generally don't care for the quality (or lack there of) of the DPMS parts. But DPMS has a "CAR-15 Counterweight Buffer". The description of the DPMS Counterweight Buffer says that it is an "Extra-heavy buffer designed to reduce felt recoil on semi, and added extra mass to stop bolt bounce on full-auto". Retail on this is $59, but with my discount I can get it for $25. Does anyone have any experience with this buffer or know the weight (it's not listed)....

Any other economic suggestions would also be appriciated. Thanks

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:41:12 PM EST
Why not get a LMT "H" Buffer for about $15 a piece from MSTN?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:49:03 PM EST
maybe the aac "rate reducing" buffer? retail is 79.00, but the brownell's discount price is less than that......
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:02:57 PM EST
mattld,

I had already considered that, but wanted to get the H2 buffer or something heavier. The H buffer is just slightly heavier than the standard buffer, the H2 is heavier than the H, and the H3 is heavier than the H2.

mwc,

I had been looking at the Advanced Armament Cyclic Rate Reducer, they are $59 each but don't know if they are a good piece of gear or just a gimic. If anyone has any first hand info on them feel free to post it.

Thanks for the help guys.....keep it coming

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:09:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 5:09:49 PM EST by mattld]

Originally Posted By USMC03:
mattld,

I had already considered that, but wanted to get the H2 buffer or something heavier. The H buffer is just slightly heavier than the standard buffer, the H2 is heavier than the H, and the H3 is heavier than the H2.

Semper Fi
Jeff

Well then I guess your options are gonna be few and far between.

I know the H2 is heavier than the H but you said you did not want to pay for 2 H2s or two H3s. The 9mm ones might fit the bill but you said price is out on that one too. Your options are pretty thin......
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:54:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 6:58:18 PM EST by Stainless]
#1 WHO THE HELL IS ASKING $150 for a 9mm buffer? you can find them MUCH cheaper. www.sawlesales.com/ is only asking $99 for the 9mm X buffer

#2 this seems like a good place to put this....

BUFFER WEIGHTS

Rifle - 5.15oz, made of aluminum

CAR - 2.9oz, made of aluminum

H - 3.77oz

H2 - 4.7oz

H3 – 5.6oz

9mm - 5.47oz, made of steel

Special purpose buffers designed for suppressed SMG's or 9mm carbines using high pressure (+P+) ammunition

9mm A - 6.3oz CAR style buffer

9mm B - 7.1oz CAR style buffer

9mm X - 7.9oz CAR style buffer
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:42:23 PM EST
Is there any relability issues with a 9mm buffer. Like FTE from the extra weight not allowing the bolt to cycle hard enough?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:46:19 AM EST
Stainless thanks for posting the weights. Anyone know where I can get a Colt 9mm buffer for a decent price....

There are about 4 of 5 different companies making heavier buffers in one form or another.....any info is good info

Thanks,

Jeff
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:34:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By USMC03:
I was going to purchase a couple Colt H2 or H3 buffers but they are around $100 a piece plus shipping....I don't have over $200 to shell out for 2 buffers...

You can pick up Colt H3 buffers for $35 each at Fulton Armory... They're listed as 'Colt Tungsten Heavy buffer'...

www.fulton-armory.com

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:42:27 AM EST
USMC03,
check out htis post, as it dealt with that whole subject, and listed all your options.

Click HERE

Hope it helps
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:08:14 AM EST
Thanks for the help guys!!!

Semper Fi
Jeff
Top Top