Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2010 12:08:52 PM EDT
I need some flip up sights and I am not sure which ones to get.  I've looked at YHM, ARMS and Magpul.  Will the magpul sights hold up to the recoil of the beowulf?  What about Troy ind. sights?  Any help is appreciated.

~ISherman
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Any quality BUIS should be suitable.

Members here are likely to steer you away from ARMS, due to their lousy politics.

The Magpul should be GTG.  Just be careful not to overtighten.

Hard to go wrong with the Troy.

I personally chose a GGG MAD, for my Beowulf, but that decision had little to do with the cartridge and more to do with me just wanting to try one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any quality BUIS should be suitable.

Members here are likely to steer you away from ARMS, due to their lousy politics.

The Magpul should be GTG.  Just be careful not to overtighten.

Hard to go wrong with the Troy.

I personally chose a GGG MAD, for my Beowulf, but that decision had little to do with the cartridge and more to do with me just wanting to try one.

How do you like the MAD sight?  I did a little reading about them.  They seem to be pretty neat.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How do you like the MAD sight?  I did a little reading about them.  They seem to be pretty neat.

I like it quite a bit, however I'm not really sure I can recommend it over the Troy.  The Troy is definitely the better value.  I chose the MAD, because I wanted to machine my own custom aperture disks. Also, GGG is a local business for me and I like to support local manufacturers.

I like that the MAD uses a standard A2 windage adjustment knob.  I'm pretty keen on engineering that makes use of existing common parts.

I dislike that the MAD, in its factory configuration, doesn't fold down quite all the way to 90 degrees.  It gives the sight an unfinished feel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]
For heavy kickers I like the YHM QDS the best, followed by TROY.  The TROY are lower profiled but do not lock in the down position and I have had trouble with them walking up during recoil on the .500 Phantom and .470 Rhino.  The QDS lock both ways but when you get the dual aperture you do not have as low a profile as the TROY.  What I find I like best (performance wise) on ARs with some recoil is the TROY on the rear if a scope is going to be over it and the QDS up front.  If no scope and the super low profile of the TROY is not needed, then QDS front and rear.  If the rifle does not have much recoil, like the 6.8/6.5/5.56 then I use TROYs front and rear if a scope will be used over the rear sight.  I am a little anal and don't like mis-matching front and rear but I hate the TROYs walking up even more.  If no scope is going to be mounted over the rear BUIS then I use the QDS on both ends.  My ideal set of BUIS would be the YHM QDS with the lower profile of the TROY or TROYs that lock both up and down.
I have a set of the Mag-Pul MBUS and I don't like them at all.  They do not lock in the up position, I don't like the way the front sight post is done or the rear sight blades, and the whole thing seems cheap.  I know, I know, the kool-aid kids will scream and yell blasphemer, but that's my opinion of them.  I have them on my kicks and giggles AR pistol but I would never put them on anything for half-way serious use.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Good point, I didn't think of the sights walking up.  The MAD may share the same issue, as it doesn't lock in the folded position either.  Now that I think of it, I have not fired my Beowulf with the MAD folded.  I'll have to remember to try that next time I take her out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top