Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 8:38:53 PM EDT
Is there anyone out there that can kindly explain to me how to get these panels to slide into the keymod holes?

I'm getting ready to throw them in the trash.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Heating them with a hair dryer softens them up enough to be able to get them to lock into place.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Man I have tried that, the thing does not want to slide forward at all.

Do I need to install the longer panel first? I'm trying to get the hand stop on right now.

Shouldn't be this difficult...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is there anyone out there that can kindly explain to me how to get these panels to slide into the keymod holes?

View Quote

I used a hammer and bit screwdriver w/o the bit . I wanted to KILL those damn things
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it took me a few minutes when I first got mine.  After they got room temp (I pulled them right off the UPS truck in winter) and pushed in on the center while sliding them at the same time, they went right in.  You will get it.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a huge Noveske fan, and I buy a LOT of stuff from them, but those plastic NSR covers are complete shit. Nothing pisses me off worse than overpriced SHIT that doesn't fit/work as it should.  And I'm not calling any of their other products overpriced, but those rail covers are obviously cheaply made and should sell for half of what they do.

ETA -  Their last run of rail sections are total shit, too....lugs are too wide, which make the slots too narrow, so none of my American Defense QD accessories will fit.  Just bought some of the new KAC keymod rails and they look/work great.  Just stay away from KAC's trigger guard...those are also complete shit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 extra bags I havent opened..

PM me if someone wants to buy them.

What a fucking joke.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't do that, I'll take them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, it took me a few minutes when I first got mine.  After they got room temp (I pulled them right off the UPS truck in winter) and pushed in on the center while sliding them at the same time, they went right in.  You will get it.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/DSC02477_zps9efdc3c5.jpg
View Quote

Are you even using a NSR rail...?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the Fortis with keymod, and Noveske panels, are those not the same system?  I thought the keymod attachment was the same.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a Fortis Rev. Sides use the keymod system

This is a close up of the Rev on my rifle
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm a huge Noveske fan, and I buy a LOT of stuff from them, but those plastic NSR covers are complete shit.

ETA -  Their last run of rail sections are total shit, too....lugs are too wide, which make the slots too narrow, so none of my American Defense QD accessories will fit.  Just bought some of the new KAC keymod rails and they look/work great.  Just stay away from KAC's trigger guard...those are also complete shit.
View Quote

Yes, the Noveske NSR panels are utter shit.

Can you post pics of your rig with the new KAC panels?

I need something for my NSR.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah, sorry I wasn't aware that a different rail used "keymods".
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now that I see KAC has an option, I may switch to their panels if I can find em
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just trying to help, brother.  I was ready to melt mine in the fireplace for a few minutes after trying, they fit loose and shitty, but once I got it figured out, they locked in nice and straight.  I like the slim profile.  After about 1100 rounds, they are still just as straight.

They look and feel like complete shit until you get them snugged up on the rail.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a huge Noveske fan, and I buy a LOT of stuff from them, but those plastic NSR covers are complete shit.

Coming right up...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#16]

PS - If you look closely, you'll see the NSR handstop is not actually seated all the way.  It'll hold for normal use, but I wouldn't trust it on an defense rifle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#17]

How do you like it so far?

I'll need some side panels too. The NSR gets so damn hot. First handguard I've owned that has me pondering a glove.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How do you like it so far?

I'll need some side panels too. The NSR gets so damn hot. First handguard I've owned that has me pondering a glove.
View All Quotes

Just got them on there today.  They look badass in person, and they fit my AD bipod mounts...so far, so good.  They're freaking expensive ($40+), but when I have a $2,500 rifle that I can't find decent rail sections to fit, I didn't really have much of a choice.  

Honestly....the way they look is a huge consolation, though...almost glad I have a good excuse to plunk down $120 for a few rail sections.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just got them on there today.  They look badass in person, and they fit my AD bipod mounts...so far, so good.  They're freaking expensive ($40+), but when I have a $2,500 rifle that I can't find decent rail sections to fit, I didn't really have much of a choice.  

Honestly....the way they look is a huge consolation, though...almost glad I have a good excuse to plunk down $120 for a few rail sections.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks the the info. I'll have to invest in a set.

My NSR is naked right now, and like you, I have a lot invested in the entire rig. What's another $120?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My NSR is naked right now, and like you, I have a lot invested in the entire rig. What's another $120?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're officially as sick in the head as I am. :-)
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:18:25 AM EDT
[#21]
32DOHC, I, like yourself was damned near ready to throw my set of panels in the trash, when I decided to search YouTube in a last ditch effort for installation help. The only vid I could find had a fella hammering them home with a rubber mallet. I was kinda disturbed by this method, but after an hour of trying every other possible way, I was like "What the hell?". At that point I was so pissed off at Noveske; I needed to beat the shit out of something (even if that "something" was my $2,500.00 rifle). You're not gonna believe this, but it took all of 10 minutes to install them with the rubber mallet.  Absolutely simple and no damage to the rail.

While I love the fact that Novekse's panels keep the NSR slim; they need to be honest in their installation instructions to say "Our installation instructions don't fucking work! Beat these motherfuckers with a mallet!!"

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is there any truth to this (not doubting you ColdBlood)? I mean, my lugs are chewed to shit now and I don't think I was even close to getting them to slide on last night. The closest I think I got on the hand stop was I got the front lug in, but the rear was angled up and not sitting flush against the rail and pushing down yielded nothing.

If there is any truth about them not being molded correctly, I would HOPE Noveske would take care of us?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
32DOHC, I, like yourself was damned near ready to throw my set of panels in the trash, when I decided to search YouTube in a last ditch effort for installation help. The only vid I could find had a fella hammering them home with a rubber mallet. I was kinda disturbed by this method, but after an hour of trying every other possible way, I was like "What the hell?". At that point I was so pissed off at Noveske; I needed to beat the shit out of something (even if that "something" was my $2,500.00 rifle). You're not gonna believe this, but it took all of 10 minutes to install them with the rubber mallet.  Absolutely simple and no damage to the rail.

While I love the fact that Novekse's panels keep the NSR slim; they need to be honest in their installation instructions to say "Our installation instructions don't fucking work! Beat these motherfuckers with a mallet!!"

View Quote

Yeah I watched that video as well and attempted to use a rubber mallet but i couldn't work it in far enough with out knocking it out of the keymod.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Is there any truth to this (not doubting you ColdBlood)? I mean, my lugs are chewed to shit now and I don't think I was even close to getting them to slide on last night. The closest I think I got on the hand stop was I got the front lug in, but the rear was angled up and not sitting flush against the rail and pushing down yielded nothing.

If there is any truth about them not being molded correctly, I would HOPE Noveske would take care of us?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's absolutely true.  I'm admittedly a Noveske fanboy, so I wouldn't say it if I weren't 100% certain.  I have 4 sections.  My two longer rail sections are gray and work very well.  The other two, which are newer, are the shorter rail sections...they have a darker finish (almost black) and the lugs are visibly wider...you don't even need to get out the calipers to see they're roughly 1-2 mm wider than the lugs their older ones.  I don't know about other manufacturer's stuff, but AD's QD accessories will absolutely not seat on the newer rails.  

Another issue with the newer ones, is that the fastener pieces are not staked, which will cause the screws to back out and the little fastener piece will fall off.  Lost one that way while I was shooting, but luckily found it on my back deck the next morning....a little loctite will remedy this, but the lugs being too wide are a deal breaker.

I don't think the problem with the rail covers is how they're molded...I think they need to make some that fasten the same way as the NSR rail sections (with a screw).
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah I watched that video as well and attempted to use a rubber mallet but i couldn't work it in far enough with out knocking it out of the keymod.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...I've tried every pointer I've been able to find.  Even bought a fresh set to make sure I hadn't screwed the first one up by monkeying around with it.  The new one I bought works just as poorly.

Also - I believe the aluminum on the NSR rail is thicker than the aluminum on the Fortis (I've had both - sold the Fortis or I'd double check).  That may be why folks are having better luck with them on the Fortis rail.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good lookin' stick.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#27]
They drove me crazy too but you'll get it eventually.

BTW, does anyone know if they're ever going to come out with the NSR heat shield?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I guess I got lucky or I have some serious hand strength. All 3 sets I have installed easily and securely. I just pushed them on with both thumbs pushing downward and sideways pressure at the same time. snapped right in. One of the hand stops was hard, so I tapped it with the rubber mallet and it went right in.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I guess I got lucky or I have some serious hand strength. All 3 sets I have installed easily and securely. I just pushed them on with both thumbs pushing downward and sideways pressure at the same time. snapped right in. One of the hand stops was hard, so I tapped it with the rubber mallet and it went right in.
View Quote

Same here...I've actually had more problems removing them than installing them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They drove me crazy too but you'll get it eventually.

BTW, does anyone know if they're ever going to come out with the NSR heat shield?

Yes.  

VFG?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top