Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2010 6:49:17 PM EDT
I have found tons of info on colt guns, but I need a little on the non colt manufacturers.  There seems to be very little that I can find on the internet.  My specific questions.
I have an LM forge code A1 upper with a SAK MP B marked barrel.  Is there any way to know aprox. when this upper was made?

http://i51.tinypic.com/2j4sjfc.jpg
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say manufactured after 1974 and probably during the early 80's..  As far as I know these were replacement uppers for the US military and the SAK barrel would basically confirm this.  It's good quality stuff and probably replaced a damaged or worn out upper.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
LM uppers and SAK barrels were replacements as Cdenmark said.
1974 or later is also a good guess.
The SAK is known to be a very accurate barrel.
I've had a couple of them and they were very good barrels.
Thrown them on a 603 lower and ou have a good rebuild M16A1 (or XM16E1) clone!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a very nice upper receiver assembly.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I had an LM upper in mint condition with a Colt CMP barrel that had the same bronze color yours has. I was going to use mine for an XM16E1 repro but a bud talked me out of the upper. As said your's is good quality and will make an excellent 603 repro.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Also forgot, this has an A2 port door on it. I'm assuming this was a replacement. Does anyone sell A1 port doors? If not I'll just keep an eye on the EE.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also forgot, this has an A2 port door on it. I'm assuming this was a replacement. Does anyone sell A1 port doors? If not I'll just keep an eye on the EE.

Expensive, but the only readily available source I know of is here.  You can sometimes find them for less on GB or the EE, but it can take some patience.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Expensive, but the only readily available source I know of is here.  You can sometimes find them for less on GB or the EE, but it can take some patience.

Port door prices have definitely gotten steep.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I know no one will believe me, but my 1980 bought AR15 SP1 came with a SAK barrel. I bought it new, it was totally package new with the "bore string" in tjhe barrel. It had not been previously fired. I do not know if they ran short on Colt barrels, but it is definitely SAK marked.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#9]
My Colt/Kaiser upper with SAK barrel is 1972 ,NO L M forge codes then ?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know no one will believe me, but my 1980 bought AR15 SP1 came with a SAK barrel. I bought it new, it was totally package new with the "bore string" in tjhe barrel. It had not been previously fired. I do not know if they ran short on Colt barrels, but it is definitely SAK marked.

I believe you, and that's very, very neat!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Whooo- finally!!!   :O)

Thanks 86HMMWV  
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 4:38:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't believe you.
Ship me the rifle right now for inspection!

Actually I normally don't say that Colt didn't/wouldn't/couldn't do anything, especially in 1980.
I'd say that a SAK barrel on a 601 didn't happen from the factory because the SAK barrel didn't exist then...but in 1980? Sure!
They have proven that there are no hard and fast rules.
"Grab what fits and send it out the door!"
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I totally believe that an SP1 came with an SAK barrel.

A lot of people aren't aware that SP1's were built from overstock and old parts, and/or whatever was on hand- an excellent example is the slabside lower receivers.  Why on earth would they be using slabsides for civvie guns?  Because when the military specs changed for the lower and required a partial and then a full fence, there was no way to re-use the old slabside forgings and receivers that had already been made.  It took them until the early 1980's to use up the surplus lowers they had in stock!

This is also why SP1's have a variety of features which 'evolve' over time and were usually 5-15 years 'behind the times' of what was current, and why you can find 'oddball' ones with parts that don't match anything else in that era of SP1.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top