Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 1:07:36 PM EDT
I'm thinking about a 20" A2 upper with gov't profile barrel, to swap out occasionally with my  heavy barrel NM Bushmaster. I would like it to have a free-floated handguard, but look like standard A2. I like the A2 setup for simplicity, and would like a lighter rifle for 3-gun, etc.

The specs for the RRA tube/handguard combo say 16 oz., which is comparable to full-length rail weight...has anyone tried drilling lightening holes in a NM float tube a la honecomb-style, or know a manufacturer that could?

I'm thinking it would be a cost-effective means of retaining A2 styling and still getting good accuracy and light weight, compared to full-length rails.

Would one modified in this way stand up to full-pressure sling use in prone?

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:29:02 PM EDT
Check out White Oak Armament, they are top notch.
http://whiteoakarmament.com/
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:12:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RichardM308:
I'm thinking about a 20" A2 upper with gov't profile barrel, to swap out occasionally with my  heavy barrel NM Bushmaster. I would like it to have a free-floated handguard, but look like standard A2. I like the A2 setup for simplicity, and would like a lighter rifle for 3-gun, etc.
The specs for the RRA tube/handguard combo say 16 oz., which is comparable to full-length rail weight...has anyone tried drilling lightening holes in a NM float tube a la honecomb-style, or know a manufacturer that could?
I'm thinking it would be a cost-effective means of retaining A2 styling and still getting good accuracy and light weight, compared to full-length rails.
Would one modified in this way stand up to full-pressure sling use in prone?

Any metal removed from a float tube would inevitably weaken the tube.

That being said, Compass Lake Engineering does say that their tubes are designed to be "Marine Proof."

FWIW; AFAIK; IMHO; YMMV; yadda, yadda, yadda.

Regards, Ed Mann    
edlmann@embarqmail.com

Bobby Bowden is doing a fine job - just leave him alone.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:18:47 AM EDT
Got an email back from John Holliger at White Oak Precision...must say his response is in keeping with his excellent reputation.

He suggested I talk to CLE after reading my email, because their tube would be better suited/amenable to a weight-reduction, etc. I'll definitely be doing business with him on other things, though.
Top Top