Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 2:41:41 PM EDT
I've been reading, and I think I've read so much that:

A.  My eyes are bleeding, and;
B.  I am confused.

So... if I have a bbl that is 14.5", as I understand it, I have to put on a flash hider or other device to bring overall bbl length to 16" permanently, which would entail attaching said flash hider or device with soldered pin, welded, etc.

OR... can I put on an A2 flash hider and permanently attach that even though the length would be under 16"

Does anyone know how short a Bushy M4gey barrel is with the compensator removed?  Is it a true 14.5" bbl?

Thanks in advance again, everyone.  I think I need some aspirin after all the reading I've done...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
No, the muzzle attachment would have to be long enough to bring it out to 16" or more.  The A2 flash suppressor is too short by about half an inch.  If you really wanted an A2, you'd have to use a spacer of some kind somehow or use one of the longer A2 look-alikes.

The Bushmaster M4 should be a true 14.5" barrel with the flash suppressor removed.  Bushmaster also has the "patrolman's carbine" barrel which is a 16" barrel with the M4 profile (step cut in front of the sight tower and skinny under the handguards).
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If it aint 16 inches, it aint legal, unless it is on the NFA regeistry.
Period.
a 14.5 in barel with a FH that brings it out to 16 is legal.  
a 14.5 with a perm a2 is not, unless it is a C3 firearm.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#3]
NFA rules say that unless you apply for a SBR authorization and pay the $200 tax, your rifle must have a barrel with an overall length over 16", including any permanently attached muzzle devices.

Putting an A2 FH on a 14.5" barrel puts you just under the 16" limit and permanently attaching the A2 does nothing for you.  If you had proper SBR authorization, you could own the 14.5" with an A2 FH and it WOULD NOT have to be permanently attached.

A couple of the favorite FHs used to make 14.5" barrels over the 16" legal limit when permanently installed are the Vortex and Phantom.

A Bushmaster M4 carbine with the Mini-Y Comp removed will have a barrel length of 14.5", and IIRC, the muzzle is not threaded.  A Bushy M4 carbine, LEO type, if such a thing exists, would have a true 14.5", threaded muzzle barrel with an A2 FH.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
This all helps greatly: thanks for the outstanding information and clarification.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Actually,  if you  add a A2  flash hider to a 14 1/2" barrel,  it  will be a 8th 0f a inch  from being leagle.
Itleast  it was on a upper I'd tried it on,  you  could add  thicker washer to bring it to  exact 16"s.

TG

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Actually,  if you  add a A2  flash hider to a 14 1/2" barrel,  it  will be a 8th 0f a inch  from being leagle.
Itleast  it was on a upper I'd tried it on,  you  could add  thicker washer to bring it to  exact 16"s.

TG

You would still need to weld or perm. attach it so that it is 16 inches in length.  A 14.5 inch barrel with a phantom is still an SBR unless the phantom is perm. attached.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#8]
If you were gonna get a 16" barrel cut and threaded for a FS after the 14th, couldn't you just cut it so that the A2 FS made it right at 16"?  so the barrel would be like 14.8" instead of 14.5?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you were gonna get a 16" barrel cut and threaded for a FS after the 14th, couldn't you just cut it so that the A2 FS made it right at 16"?  so the barrel would be like 14.8" instead of 14.5?

it would cost you more money, just get a phantom, they are nice, look and work great, and make the gun a legal length
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#10]

If you were gonna get a 16" barrel cut and threaded for a FS after the 14th, couldn't you just cut it so that the A2 FS made it right at 16"? so the barrel would be like 14.8" instead of 14.5?

Just make sure it was permanently attached.

I actually have considered doing that with one of my 16" barrels but then as previously stated:

it would cost you more money, just get a phantom, they are nice, look and work great, and make the gun a legal length

On the other hand I hate the idea of loosing the flexibility provided by a removable FH.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#12]

A Bushmaster M4 carbine with the Mini-Y Comp removed will have a barrel length of 14.5", and IIRC, the muzzle is not threaded. A Bushy M4 carbine, LEO type, if such a thing exists, would have a true 14.5", threaded muzzle barrel with an A2 FH.

my 14.5 m4 had the minni-y threaded on
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#13]
the barrel length portion of NFA is sooooo stupid.

rifle with a barrel less than 16" is baaaad because its "concealable" lol yea right good luck concealing an M4 or even a commando-style

but if you take off the stock and make it even more concealable, then its a pistol so its ok
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Chuck,
Once I've welded on my flashhider what do I do if a couple years later I want to put a DD or a FF RAS on that weapon?
Thanks,
Don.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#15]
cut the fh off
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#16]

cut the fh off

exactly.

No permanent FH means I can conceivably install that future FF tube myself.

Permanent FH means either I have to hire a gunsmith or I am limited to something like a SIR, RAS2, Troy MRF, etc.

To me that implies a lack of flexibility.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

cut the fh off

exactly.

No permanent FH means I can conceivably install that future FF tube myself.

Permanent FH means either I have to hire a gunsmith or I am limited to something like a SIR, RAS2, Troy MRF, etc.

To me that implies a lack of flexibility.

Just get another AR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top