BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/11/2005 10:35:03 AM EDT
Kel-Tec has a new "AR" Pistol - the PLR-16 (and, yes, it is available)

The PLR-16 is a gas operated, semi-automatic pistol chambered in 5.56 mm NATO caliber and it accepts standard AR magazines. It has a 9.2" barrel that is threaded 1/2"-28 to accept standard attachments such as a muzzle brake.

Link Posted: 11/11/2005 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I must say I was wondering if they were going to do something similar when they restyled the SU-16 and placed the hinge position behind the pistol grip rather than in front of it.  A friend of mine has an SU-16 and it's not a bad rifle.... but I wouldn't call it a good one either... cheap is probably the best term.... but it does go bang when you pull the trigger.

I must say.... not a bad choice for something that lists for under $650.  I wonder how it'll perform.

-HK-
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
sorry, but like their handguns they're ugly
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
At the SHOT Show, I had about a 20 minute conversation with Kel-Tec's LE display people about an SU-16 pistol.  I asked if I could buy one of their SBR's without the stock.  They said, "Um, No.  But we'll talk about it."  Not sure if they already had it in mind or if I was the spark.  I just said that it would sell if they could get the price-point below $600 to compete with the Carbon 15 and OA-98.  Lookie goodie.

www.kel-tec.com/plr16pr.htm

Link Posted: 11/11/2005 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#4]
imo there's no competing with an ar platform pistol since its more versatile than the keltec but i see where it would fit the bill
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]
you can't tell me you don't see any beauty in this:
http://www.kel-tec.com/images/plr-fixed-trippicsmall.jpg
Look, no buffer tube
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.kel-tec.com/images/plr-fixed-trippicsmall.jpg
Look, no buffer tube

Work for Kel-tec?

IF you do....

.....I hate you you lucky bastard.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice picture PLRinmypocket.

I bet if Kel-Tec made an piston-driven upper that would fit a standard AR lower, they'd make more money than they will on this pistol.  They could make less of the gun and still list for $650.  Selling just the upper would be a lot less hassle than selling a pistol.  They could then sale it directly.z
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Work for Kel-tec?

IF you do....

Yea I do work for Kel-Tec. I'm actually the guy that was working the LE booth at the SHOT show that badgerarms was talking about (small world huh). I remember he came back several times to look at the D model and try to convince us to just sell it without the stock portion. I couldn't tell him about this product back then, but now it is released.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Work for Kel-tec?

IF you do....

Yea I do work for Kel-Tec. I'm actually the guy that was working the LE booth at the SHOT show that badgerarms was talking about (small world huh). I remember he came back several times to look at the D model and try to convince us to just sell it without the stock portion. I couldn't tell him about this product back then, but now it is released.

Well then..... more pics and some video, get to work!..
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#10]
That is sooooooooooo cool!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuggin A!
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
mmmm drum mag....
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I really was begging.  Really big fan of KelTec.  Have been since I saw the fist Grendel 380 at my father's gun shop.  Even in Alaska, the P32 is like a second skin in my back pocket.  Anyways, I'm glad that something more refined came out instead of what I had in mind.  An M6X mounted underbarrel would make this quite the pocket cannon.  Any chance I can get 'hooked up' with one of the first batch?
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 4:35:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Work for Kel-tec?

IF you do....

Yea I do work for Kel-Tec. ...

Is the barrel twist 1:7 or 1:9?

Thx
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Twist is the same as our SU rifles, 1:9
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 5:49:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Work for Kel-tec?

IF you do....

Hmmmmm....Maybe "PLRinmypocket" could organize a "group buy" on these for us at a "special" price?????

-John
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
www.kel-tec.com/images/plr-fixed-trippicsmall.jpg
Look, no buffer tube

I beleive DiFi just stroked out and dropped dead.

Good work Kel-Tec!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/12/2005 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Nice picture PLRinmypocket.

I bet if Kel-Tec made an piston-driven upper that would fit a standard AR lower, they'd make more money than they will on this pistol.  They could make less of the gun and still list for $650.  Selling just the upper would be a lot less hassle than selling a pistol.  They could then sale it directly.z

Or sell parts for a piston upper, for those of us who can't resist an opportunity to tinker with something new.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey, Mr. PLRinmypocket, what can you tell us about a single-stack 9mm coming from KT?
Just even a hint.

Just key the mic son.....
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#20]
PLR-16 discussion. I like it. but msrp is same as some cheaper AR15s , i`d pay at most 450-500...

Link Posted: 11/13/2005 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#21]
PLRinmypocket,

Where can I get a knife/bayo like the one in your post?  I want to put one on my FN Five-seveN for $hits & giggles.

MadDog
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#22]
That puppy need a Krink Brake!!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#23]
That kicks ass!
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hey, Mr. PLRinmypocket, what can you tell us about a single-stack 9mm coming from KT?
Just even a hint.

Just key the mic son.....

With a P3AT trigger, instead of a P11 trigger?
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I hate to be a flame ho.. but this is as much an,"AR pistol" as an SKS is a baseball bat.
Im not entirely negative, I do see some similarities-

*AR style front site post
*Has part of an upper rail, similar to an A4 Flat top upper.
*Shoots 5.56 NATO ammunition, many ARs fire 5.56 NATO
*It has a grip, ARs have grips
*Has a trigger
*Has a reciever, ARs have recievers hammer*Operating handle looks like an oversized buffer detent and
*It can be tactical'ized for operators.. The only question left is..

Does this come in OD Green and Coyote Brown?

Im not saying it isnt cool, and you could definitely use an SKS as a baseball bat..  In fact that may be your only chance of hitting your target with one.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:43:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Don't forget it takes AR magazines, and uses the AR style locking and feeding system.

The Bayonet is the Kel-Tec KFB Folding Bayonet. Check www.kel-tec.com/kfb.htm
Production on the knife has been slow but it will be shipping within a few weeks and I believe they can be purchased directly from Kel-Tec.

as far as group buys, it would probably have to be a police fo government agency that would do the buying in order to get a discount.

I can't comment on products Kel-Tec does not sell. so i can't tell you anything about any un-release products.

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:06:19 AM EDT
[#28]
What's the deal with the barrel.....chrome lined? Anyone know?

Seems to be mixed reviews on reliablity for Kel Tec in general....can anyone shed some light on this?
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#30]
sexy  
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#31]
First off, I like it....and this isn't being negative, but I have a question.

To me, it looks like the the front part of the bolt carrier (I'm using AR terms here, they may not be correct for this pistol) The part that extends and kind of becomes the gas piston, is left out in the open with no exterior shroud. If you tried to shoot it without the additional forearm part (say you tried to make your own) wouldn't it burn the hell out of your off hand when it is cycling all the hot pressurized gas?

Will the handguard (optional add on) be enough to keep these hot gasses away from the off hand.

I am maybe not seeing this correctly...please shed some light.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#32]
THAT IS FUCKING SWEET

I have a AR lower that is registered foe a pistol, but dont wanna do it now. I will build a M4gery with it and purchase one of thos kel-tecs for the
uber-concealed jobs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I called my FFL and he said that a couple people has asked about them..........

He said they are going to be in the $425-475 region when they hit stores and shows.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I called my FFL and he said that a couple people has asked about them..........

He said they are going to be in the $425-475 region when they hit stores and shows.

I'd be very interested for a price like that.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#35]
The barrel is not chrome lined.

Quoted:
...To me, it looks like the the front part of the bolt carrier (I'm using AR terms here, they may not be correct for this pistol) The part that extends and kind of becomes the gas piston, is left out in the open with no exterior shroud. If you tried to shoot it without the additional forearm part (say you tried to make your own) wouldn't it burn the hell out of your off hand when it is cycling all the hot pressurized gas?

Will the handguard (optional add on) be enough to keep these hot gasses away from the off hand.

I am maybe not seeing this correctly...please shed some light.

There is very little hot gases going in the recoil spring tube. Take a look at the cutaway views for the SU-16A rifle here: www.kel-tec.com/su-16_rifle.htm the action of the PLR is nearly identical to the action of the SU rifles.

The handgaurd does protect you very well from the hot parts like the barrel and the gas block/gas head which gets the hottest.

as for the reliability of this Kel-Tec pistol i would suggest you compare it to the SU-16 rifles since they share alot of parts and the actions are very similar.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
as for the reliability of this Kel-Tec pistol i would suggest you compare it to the SU-16 rifles since they share alot of parts and the actions are very similar.

I have no idea whether the SU-16's are reliable. Frankly, there are a lot of mixed reviews.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no idea whether the SU-16's are reliable. Frankly, there are a lot of mixed reviews.

Anyone?

+1.  That means nothing to me (ETA: Comparing to the SU-16).

Also, a chrome lining would have been nice.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Pretty good review with videos.
mysite.verizon.net/vzeonrw7/index.html
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Seems to be mixed reviews on reliablity for Kel Tec in general....can anyone shed some light on this?

From past personal experience, the Kel Tec handguns often need either a good breakin period or a bit of polishing to eliminate occasional feed problems.  I like to tinker, so I didn't bother with running a few hundred rounds through them to let things wear in.  Put a few mags through one, take it apart and look for signs of where things are rubbing, then start polishing.  Polish the feed ramp and chamber while you're at it, then you're just left dealing with the temptation to do a trigger job.  They're easy to work on, and there's plenty of how-to info available online.

From past reading of Kel Tec forums:
Some people have absolutely no problems at all.  Some complain that they are junk and unreliable and don't want anything more to do with Kel Tec (other than to gripe on the forums about how lousy they are).  I could be wrong, but I got the impression that a good clean and lube of a new firearm was an alien concept to some of that crowd.  Others had problems and discovered that Kel Tec has a customer service department that apparently will do whatever it takes to make it right.  A common problem seems to be limpwristing, since the Kel Tec models tend to be light for their caliber.  Some insisted that they weren't having that problem, that it was the gun, until they were convinced to take extra steps to mafe certain they had a good grip, then the problem mysteriously went away (the P3AT is probably the worst about that, but I've not had any trouble and use it as a daily carry gun - I carried a P11 for a while, but couldn't get used to the heavy DAO trigger).
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you do work for Kel Tec, don't you?

If so, how about a little info as to range reports, materials used in building the rifle, reliability testing and the like.

If you don't know the answers to these questions, you've got a pretty big audience right here...might be a good idea to post some answers. More info, less mystery.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#41]
At the estimated street prices I'm hearing, I'll have a hard time not buying one.  A krink would work great on that gun too - plus cut down some of the blast.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#42]
So that review made the SU-16 sound good.  But this pistol with its non-chrome bore/chamber and everything...is it a plinker for fun or could you count on it to protect yourself?

I mean, I have an RRA AR and a SIG 226 so I am pretty used to my stuff always going bang.  I am interested in an AR pistol but I want something I can count on.  I don't even want to do a build because of the possible reliability problems (I'm no gunsmith).
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

how about a little info as to range reports, materials used in building the rifle, reliability testing and the like.

I will gladly answer any questions you have, most of the info can be found on the Kel-Tec website but any other questions you have I will try to get the answers to.

I did not want to simply praise Kel-Tec since it is obvious i am biased and therefore my statements would have little meaning. But I do stand behind our products, desgins,  and customer service.

Except for barrel, bolt and mechanism the PLR 16 is made entirely of high impact  reinforced polymer, specifically Fiber reinforced, impact and heat resistant Dupont Zytel.

I'll see if i can find the info on range report and testing
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#45]
RSR is one distributor that comes to mind, but I know there are more, I will have to check tomorrow
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how about a little info as to range reports, materials used in building the rifle, reliability testing and the like.

I will gladly answer any questions you have, most of the info can be found on the Kel-Tec website but any other questions you have I will try to get the answers to.

I did not want to simply praise Kel-Tec since it is obvious i am biased and therefore my statements would have little meaning. But I do stand behind our products, desgins,  and customer service.

Except for barrel, bolt and mechanism the PLR 16 is made entirely of high impact  reinforced polymer, specifically Fiber reinforced, impact and heat resistant Dupont Zytel.

I'll see if i can find the info on range report and testing

Much appreciated.

I think a lot of people here would like to see exactly how reliable this gun is.

Is it asthetically "neat-o"...or is it something that has been built to last that's reliable?

I can get past a non-chrome barrel for a gun like this, but reliability over the long term is what I'd lay money out for.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#47]
wow.....

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Well then..... more pics and some video, get to work!..hr

heres that video you wanted ht
www.kel-tec.com/videos/plr1.wmv
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Well, that confirms that the manual safety works.

I think I'll stop by the local store and see if he's expecting to get any in the near future, or if he's got the rifle version in stock (he tries to keep the smaller KelTecs in stock).  This is worth a trip to the gunstore for a closer look.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#50]
I like the vid, more, more......

A question.....how come sometimes there is a 2' long fire ball and sometimes you see nothing? I know it isn't specific to this gun or anything...but I am just curious of anyone knows.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top