Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2006 11:56:15 PM EDT
hey! im a new guy and im looking at getting my first ar, i dont know what brand to get. the prices had me set on an olympic arms plinker, but according to a quick search, a no go. it seems like its 50/50 whether you get a good one or not. no thanks!

can anyone reccomend a different brand?

im going to be using this gun as a scoped bird/bunny popper as thats all there is out where i live.

so my heat yearns for a bushmaster varminter, but im only 18 and i cant afford that.

so can you guys recommend me a gun and a link?

thanks!

-T
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Being you live in California your options are very limited, check your local laws and go from there
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are in Kaliforniastan I do believe you are out of luck Sir....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#4]
nope, sorry guys never thought anyone was that observant. i live in washington state.

okay sry. now have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
someone has a suggestion on what AR to buy...on AR15.com  cmon guys!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Bushy's are nice ! Stags are nice too !
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I know how you feel.  I bought my first AR 3 years ago and I was only 20.  They are EXPENSIVE for us poor students.  I bought a Bushmaster from AIM Surplus.  The prices have gone up(obvisouly) since I bought mine, but they had some of the cheapest prices at a time.  I am currently building my first AR.  I'm already too far in to start over on this but I think my next AR will be from Model 1 Sales.  You can find a stripped lower for $130 or so and then buy one of their Varmit rifle kits for $510 + s/h.  Thats only  Around $650-$700.  Maybe that would be a good option.  There is a how-to posted in the Build It Yourself section that shows how to assemble the lower parts and their uppers are already assembled.

Something to think about.  Welcome to the site and I hope you are able to find exactly what you want.

ETA: Model 1 Sales
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks olboy!  y our link isnt working though.

is it cheaper to build a gun than to buy one?

because i know bushmaster sells the top half of their varminter gun for like 400...
and i can get a lower half for like 2-300 and pop those suckers together! then im happy with that.
how hard is the project?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Is it cheaper?

I'm finding YES (so far)...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Armalite, bushmaster, and colt are all OLD but proven, well built designs.

I'd go with a Bushmaster though, personally.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Definitely go with Bushmaster.

Top quality, reasonable prices, customer service that is second to none.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#12]
im 18. i cant afford an 1100 dollar bushmaster rifle... im leanin towards the oly arms i guess... no other choice it seems.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Check out the Stag. Very reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#14]
You can get a Brand new bushy for 900 otd...Least i can, here in lexington... :D
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Ohhh, since you are in WA you are good to go. So if your budget mandates an OLY at this time, than get an OLY. Anything is better than nothing despite what the Kool-Aid drinkers may say. I have new OLYs amongst my flock of EBRs and have no complaints with any of them. The OLYs would make a good budget minded starter and they do have a lifetime warranty, so buy it, be happy with your purchase, and shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#16]
awesome.. oly oly oxen free!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Just get a new Oly "Plinker Plus". Mine never had any issues (eating Wolf ammo its entire life at that). Just make shure its the Plus, the trouble-models where pre-plus's from what I heard (they used cast parts instead of forged parts).
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
im 18. i cant afford an 1100 dollar bushmaster rifle... im leanin towards the oly arms i guess... no other choice it seems.

oly's are listed on the ban list. IE you cannot legally own an oly in CA. if ya want something in CA buy an off list lower fix the mag, build the lower then put any damn upper ya want on it.

Do a little researche before you buy yourself a nice felony.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#19]
You can buy a complete Stag lower for around $200 from www.eaglefirearms.net, stock included.

Then toss on the upper of your choice, and you're set.  

Unfortunately, most folks carrying Stag lowers are backordered now due to a loophole in CA law which has shooters there scrambling to buy certain brands of receivers, Stag being most popular among them.

Just food for thought,

-MV
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:24:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

oly's are listed on the ban list. IE you cannot legally own an oly in CA. if ya want something in CA buy an off list lower fix the mag, build the lower then put any damn upper ya want on it.

Do a little researche before you buy yourself a nice felony.

Ahhh but you missed this..........."nope, sorry guys never thought anyone was that observant. i live in washington state.

okay sry. now have any suggestions?"

Althought it does say CA under his name so its kinda confusing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:31:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Have you taken a look at rock river arms? They are relatively new to the ar-marketplace but they sell a quality product. They landed a deal from the DEA about a year ago for 10,000 rifles so you know they are good! Look in the Equipment Exchange  on this site, a company called Legal-transfers sells a national match ar-15 a2 with a 20" barrel and national match 2 stage trigger and upgraded irons for $960. Check them out! I have had the m4 entry from rra for 2years and put 3000rnds through her with out any jams that were not the fault of bad ammo or bag mags.
-jls7
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top