Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 3:59:02 PM EDT
Well,
Just got through ordering my pistol upper kit.
I decided to go with the Model 1 kit.
Before the bad comments start, I have always had pretty good luck with any M1S stuff I have bought.
I went with the A3 upper with a detachable carry handle.
I have been interested in these since I first saw them but was worried about the reliability issues.
But since goat boy created the AR pistol forum, I saw that the reliability issues have been taken care of.
And seeing all those pics of the sweet AR pistols did me in.
Soon As All my stuff comes in I'll get some pics up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
been debating one myself for quite some time now.

think im gonna take the plunge soon also
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Well,
I'm set. Got my kit ordered yesterday, Ordered my ACE buffer today, and have a new stag lower ready to go.
A question for the other pistol owners now,
As for a sight.
What would you recommend ?
Aimpoint (redot), eotech type sight or a laser sight?
I've seen the rails that mount to your FSB for mounting laser and Etc. are those any good ?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
im just waiting to save some money up and get a marked pistol lower ordered then i can start mine
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I swear the AR pistol is about the stupidest weapon I have ever handled.  Funny how I cannot get the smile off my face for days after each outing. Who cares if it doesn't fragment, like paper targets and tin cans need bullets to fragment!

It may well be a worthless, oversized, underpowered, overweight pistol but my GOD they are nothing but FUN.  About the only justifiable reason to have one is to burn up a lot of spare ammo you have lying around, and of course the main reason: because you WANT one!

By the way, I find I use the laser more than anything.  It seems much more adapt at bump-firing and shooting from the hip!   Who cares if you don't hit your target half the time, so long as all the bullets hit the ground!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I swear the AR pistol is about the stupidest weapon I have ever handled.  Funny how I cannot get the smile off my face for days after each outing. Who cares if it doesn't fragment, like paper targets and tin cans need bullets to fragment!

It may well be a worthless, oversized, underpowered, overweight pistol but my GOD they are nothing but FUN.  About the only justifiable reason to have one is to burn up a lot of spare ammo you have lying around, and of course the main reason: because you WANT one!

By the way, I find I use the laser more than anything.  It seems much more adapt at bump-firing and shooting from the hip!   Who cares if you don't hit your target half the time, so long as all the bullets hit the ground!

You pretty well covered all the reason I am building one big-bore.
But the main one being FUN!
And that no one else I have seen around in my area has one.
As soon as funds allow I'll have me a laser sight on it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered one from the EE and the only reason was cuz not everyone has one and I think it would just be neater than he!! to have a pistol with really reliable 30 round mags.  Not sure how I'm going to set mine up when it gets here but was thinking about a Pro Point, Flashlight and Laser.  Oh yea, and a couple cases of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I had a surprise when I got home today.
All my parts had shown up.
Got everything sorted out and realised I was missing the safety/selector switch. (emailed M1S and asked them to send it)
NO biggie though a friend has a spare so I'll be finishing it up tomorrow and hopefully get some pics up.
All together I am quite pleased with the upper kit I got.
I was suprised to see the Shrouded(enhanced?) bolt carrier (just the tip of the firing pin showing.
Got A nice sling plate along with it too. Can use either an HK type sling hook or a regular sling.
Realised I don't really need the Ace pistol buffer tube kit. (anybody want a deal on it minus the foam tube?)

I'll get some pics up soon! Man this thing is awsome.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Well here she is.
7-1/2 A3 upper from M1S. Phantom Flash hider M1S buffer tube w/ ace cover.
came with what I guess is called an enhanced bolt carrier (firing pin is shrouded except for just the end of it) , and a nice dual type sling plate.
Hopefully get to try it out this weekend...
With the detachable handle.

Flat top (waiting for optic....)

Couldn't resist a couple beta mag pics...

The business end..

Pics of the T-Marks...

Pic of the bolt..

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice weapon there wulf.  What did the upper and buffer set up run?  ballpark??  I like your  set up there as well as any I have seen yet.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#10]
$470 for the A3 upper.
They changed the knurled float tube to the fluted for Nada.
The buffer is the one that came with it. I just added the foam.
The carry handle was like $90 -$95.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate to break it to you guys, but a AR pistol shooting 68+ grain ammo WILL FRAGMENT. I have pics on my blog anathema-incarnate.blogspot.com of my Bushmaster range report.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I made it to the range today to try out the new AR pistol.
And I could not be happier!!
Took a mix and match of ammo to try.
SS109 (Hot shot)
PMC 55 gr
XM193

All ammo performed very well. The XM was definitely the loudest of the three.
No failures or problems at all through out the whole 240 rounds.
But I will say it definitely requires gloves to shoot.
After the first mag the float tube did start to heat up. It would have been quite uncomfortable without gloves under continued firing.
Recoil was very managable. Mags drop free from the Stag lower,The Upper from Model 1 functioned flawlessly, didn't even have to adjust the sights.
Now I'm off to take a shower and brush my teeth.
Smiled so much when I was shooting all I can taste is the CLP and burnt powder.
And Big-Bore, you were right. I still can't get the smile off my face.
This has to be one of the funnest, but really functional and useful, fun projects I have ever built.
I see lots of enjoyment coming from this one.

Thanks to everyone here in the pistol forum for all the great info on building one of these.
To anyone considering building one all I can say is DO IT! You will get so much enjoyment out of it.
I'll try to get a pic up of the B27 I was shooting at later on tonight.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#13]
damn, i really have to get me one now
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Wulf, fun toy huh?  I did the M1S kit too.  I know what you mean about the float tube though - that's why I ordered up a Hiperform carbon fiber one.  I also went with a light weight aluminum gas block only (since I knew I wouldn't put sights on it and it saved weight).  The laser is the only way to go I feel.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:58:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok guys where are the links to the dealers that sell this wonderful stuff...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

DO IT!!
You won't regret it man.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

IM inbound.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#18]
So, when we going shooting?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

www.model1sales.com

www.hiperform.com/hand-guards.htm

www.impactguns.com/store/82065.html

There's all the stuff on mine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DO IT!!
You won't regret it man.

have a colt 6450 on the way as i type but i think when the fun acct. recoups i will build one also

have a few lowers that are longing for a mate
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Well that settles it....Looks like you ordered the kit from M1 Sales and it came 6 days later!?

NICE

Off to check the bank account now...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Well that settles it....Looks like you ordered the kit from M1 Sales and it came 6 days later!?

NICE

Off to check the bank account now...

Yes, and that was even with my request to swap the float tubes.
Which may not have mattered unless they had it already built up, I don't know for sure if they build them and put them on the shelf or build them on demand.
But when you order it make sure you specify 5.56 and include in the order comments to make sure it's 5.56 . I have seen a few guys not specify that and accidently get a 223 chamber.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Wulf, fun toy huh?  I did the M1S kit too.  I know what you mean about the float tube though - that's why I ordered up a Hiperform carbon fiber one.  I also went with a light weight aluminum gas block only (since I knew I wouldn't put sights on it and it saved weight).  The laser is the only way to go I feel.

www.speedcraving.com/ebay/pistol-w-laser.jpg

What brand and type laser is on your hand cannon? Also how is the performance, dot size, visable during daylight? ect.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.speedcraving.com/ebay/pistol-w-laser.jpg

What brand and type laser is on your hand cannon? Also how is the performance, dot size, visable during daylight? ect.

It's the AimShot 8200.  At night, you can see the beam, and it will easily reach out for 1/2 mile or more.  I haven't GPS'd the actual distance, so it might be closer to one mile.  During the day, I can see it on light colored targets up to probably 200 yds.  On darker objects, it's harder to see at range, maybe only to 100yds or so.  This is the 12mw green 532nm laser.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Well I decided to put my aimpoint on.
Got an ARMS #38-EX.
I like it. Probably won't get to the range for a little while to zero it in and see how well it works.
It does co-witness though.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Been wanting to do one of these :-)
And $500 is a good price.

I've gotta  never - built  rec'vr  in my safe with "pistol" written all over it. :-)

I'm glad to hear the Model 1 buffer works (and included in the kit)

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Well made it out to the range Saturday witht the pistol again.
I am completely happy with the Aimpoint on there.
Zero'd in quickly, got the A.R.M.S. sighted in pretty easily as well.
Did really well out to 25 yds. Did tend to open up the grouping past that.
Good for up close type stuff.
But mostly , unbeleivably FUN to shoot !!!
Between me and the couple other guys there it was the most shot of the day.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top