Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/22/2004 7:56:41 AM EST
Anyone know of a GOOD local AR gunsmith in the Ft. Lauderdale / Miami area?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:55:12 AM EST
A couple of my buddies have been to the Gun Doc and were very pleased with his work. I don't have any personal experience with him yet but I'm going to be throwing some business his way soon. I have the address and phone number around somewhere, if you want it let me know.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:52:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By mwg225:
A couple of my buddies have been to the Gun Doc and were very pleased with his work. I don't have any personal experience with him yet but I'm going to be throwing some business his way soon. I have the address and phone number around somewhere, if you want it let me know.

Thanks, I actually ended up going there on someone elses recommendation as well. Amed was extremely courteous. David, the one who did the work on my rifle, was also very coureous and professional. All in all, I felt very good about bringing my rifle there. Being my first time using a gunsmith, I was a little surprised at the cost. I paid $40+ tax for a little 20 minute UFIR mounting job. I was charged a little more than normal (I was told) for bringing it in to do it on the spot. Regardless, I really felt I got what I paid for. Quality is what matters most to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:55:29 AM EST

Originally posted by niceguymr:
I paid $40+ tax for a little 20 minute UFIR mounting job.

For mounting a UFIR to a HG? Am I missing something?

HS1
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:24:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By HighStrung1:

Originally posted by niceguymr:
I paid $40+ tax for a little 20 minute UFIR mounting job.

For mounting a UFIR to a HG? Am I missing something?

HS1

No, not really. Yeah, it seems quite simple and with the right tools, it is. I took off my handguards, and the DOUBLE heat shields were epoxied together as well as to the handguard, and I really coudn't find a way to break them apart without bending the heat shields completely out of place. Dave at Gundoc did an excellent job with the right tools, so he didn't even have to remove anything inside. It's on so solid that you cant even tell its as UFIR... I just looks and feels like it's part of the handguard. I'd rather spend money to have something done well, than fu*k it up trying to do it myself with the wrong tools. Plus, I have someone to yell at if it does get messed up, and that gives me peace of mind too. But yeah, it was kind of expensive, and I hope that the next time I have to go to Gundoc, they won't charge me so much to do such a small thing. Are you hearing me Dave? Thanks for the great work though!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:33:51 AM EST
Just wondering.

I take it you are in the Dade/Broward area?

Check out the Florida Hometown Forum. A few of us are slowly organizing bi-weekly shoots. I'd like to get a defensive carbine shoot started in the next few months, but we need folks to give ideas and info. LMK.

HS1
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:27:27 AM EST
I have heard many good things about a place called Somarriba. I haven't been there but I will check them out because of my bad experience with Gun Doc
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:30:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By txbuyah:
I have heard many good things about a place called Somarriba. I haven't been there but I will check them out because of my bad experience with Gun Doc

What bad experience? Do tell.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:50:28 PM EST
My bad experience, you asked for it....I bought a K98. Nothing fancy. It had all the markings ground off so it has no collector value to it at all. It has a super clean bore/barrel/rifling and the action is smooth as glass. I decided to have it drilled and tapped for a scope mount, have a recoil pad put on it and turn it into a hunting rifle. So I drop it off and wait the 8-10 weeks like his sign says. 3 months later, it's not done yet. 5 months later, it's almost done. The 6th month the secretary or whoever she was tells me, I have to ask whats-his-name, can you come back tomorrow, sure. Come back the next day, I'll have it for you tomorrow. The entire 6 months I can see it in the room back behind the counter. I realize it's not a fancy rifle and it's probably no fun working on a Mauser but it's mine and I paid over half up front and 6 months is way to long. He still had the balls to charge me his outrageous set up fee to drill the receiver and gave me a ton of excuses why it took so long. You know, I'm so busy, I'm the only one here, my back hurts, blah, blah, blah. (he ended up doing it in a day) So I asked him, did the guy who just left with the Remington PSS have to wait 6 months for you to install his nice fancy trigger? Deer in the headlight look. Sorry for the extra long rant, it still gets me going when I think about it. That is my bad experience
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:31:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By txbuyah:
My bad experience, you asked for it....I bought a K98. Nothing fancy. It had all the markings ground off so it has no collector value to it at all. It has a super clean bore/barrel/rifling and the action is smooth as glass. I decided to have it drilled and tapped for a scope mount, have a recoil pad put on it and turn it into a hunting rifle. So I drop it off and wait the 8-10 weeks like his sign says. 3 months later, it's not done yet. 5 months later, it's almost done. The 6th month the secretary or whoever she was tells me, I have to ask whats-his-name, can you come back tomorrow, sure. Come back the next day, I'll have it for you tomorrow. The entire 6 months I can see it in the room back behind the counter. I realize it's not a fancy rifle and it's probably no fun working on a Mauser but it's mine and I paid over half up front and 6 months is way to long. He still had the balls to charge me his outrageous set up fee to drill the receiver and gave me a ton of excuses why it took so long. You know, I'm so busy, I'm the only one here, my back hurts, blah, blah, blah. (he ended up doing it in a day) So I asked him, did the guy who just left with the Remington PSS have to wait 6 months for you to install his nice fancy trigger? Deer in the headlight look. Sorry for the extra long rant, it still gets me going when I think about it. That is my bad experience

Wow! That's a ridiculous amount of time to wait. I'm a VERY impatient person so that would have just driven me bonkers. I probably wouldv'e been calling every other day to find out what's going on. That's why I brought mine in and paid a little extra to have it done on the spot. Did they at least do a good job? How would you rate the quality of their work? (aside from how long it took)
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:13:36 PM EST
I have to say that he did a good job. I also try not to be impatient but that drove me over the edge. He probably thought I was some dumb Army guy in Miami who he could get over on and kept putting me off. I won't make that mistake again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:57:01 PM EST
Pepe Somarriba is a fine gunsmith and I have had quite a few things done there without ever having a problem. They work with you if you need something in a hurry for any specific reason and their prices are not overly expensive. I for one highly recommend them.
Top Top