Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2004 1:54:00 PM EDT
Hey guys, I took my new rifle out for the second time today and after firing about 10-12 rounds the gun jammed. I tried to pull back the charging handle but it wouldnt budge. So I stripped down the rifle and it looks like the bolt is stuck in the locked position. I cant figure out how to free it.
I'm pretty sure that the shell from my last round is stuck in there too.

Any help on fixing this would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Years back the same thing happened with my Colt.  I'm sorry to say that I had to take it to the local gunsmith to get the cartridge out of the receiver.  Cost about $30.00.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure the round in the chamber is spent? If so, you might try "slapping" the butt of the weapon of the ground, the inertia may break it loose.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:41:32 AM EDT
[#3]
What ammo are you shooting? Is the Varmminter NATO or SAMMI chamber? TIA. -Justin
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#4]
This has been known to occur at times, best way to handle it is place butt of rifle on the bench, find something wooden (piece of 2x4, wooden handled hammer/axe/etc...).

Place the wooden item on the right side of the charging handle, with CH release engaged whack the wooden item one good whack, this normally removes the stuck case and round can then be ejected (or rips the rim off, in which case you'll need a broken shell extractor or a rod to run down the bore to push round out of the chamber).

Works best with a friend or extra hand holding the rifle.

Mike
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top