Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/25/2002 10:24:23 AM EDT
I just purchased the Bushmaster V Match Carbine Upper Receiver 16" Barrel ,short Aluminum Handguard and “Milled” front sight base. In short I would like to install front and rear iron sights and a aimpoint or eotech type sight and still be able to ues the iron sights through the scope. What set up should I use and do I need flip up sights for this. I have no experiance in this field and need help.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you return the rifle and get one with the front sight and standard handguards?  Get the detachable handle and your iron sights are ready to go.  Pop the handle off and put a telescopic sight or Aimpoint CompM2 and you have that ability.  

Not having a front sight makes shooting difficult.  Doesn't interfere with the dot or telescopic sights.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Check GG&G for a Flip up front and ARMS for a Flip up rear (#40)

FYI,  the combo are called BUIS-Back up iron sights.

Then you put an EoTech in between!
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]
W-W unfortunately he has a milled front sight base.  And with the V-MAx hanguard has no place to add a rail mounted flip front.

I will seconds Chucks recommondation, about attemptng to get a different upper from the factory.

There is very little reason to go with front flip ups.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgot to mention I had the factory install the  Bushmaster Modular Accessories System 3 Rail Gas Block (standard Picatinney configuration). That will give me the option to use a front sight.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh.

You can then (this is a range gun right?)
go out and get a bolt on front sight if you wish.

KAC, PRI, and  ARMS make good mounts for the AimpointM and M2.

depending upon what you wish to do with the rifle will dpeends upon what optics etc. you want to put on it.

Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll agree w/ CANADIANTACTICAL, & upgrade to the flip-up front by PRI.  Contact Wes ([url]MSTN.biz[/url].)

Edited to ask, why would you use a gas block w/ the option to add accessories (read, weight) to a free-floated barrel?
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
spider I agree adding options to a free floated barrel is not the best idea. I just thought I would have the option if I needed it for a laser or something. I would just have to rezero right? The only place the rifle will probably ever be used is at the range or self defence.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#8]
That's 2 very different places/circumstances - keep in mind what may be great for one scenario may not be for the other...
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the same rifle and love it. Bushmaster has flip-down front and rear sights available in their online catalog for the milled front gas block or other ones for a railed grip or gas block. Just make sure you get two that 'match' in height so you don't have zeroing problems. You can use their catalog to see various options, then ask them what will work togather well. They carry several companies sights so it's a good place to see several at once.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Spider I fail to see what the big difference is from say the bushmaster shorty tactical and the v-match with the exception of a free float barrel and 1 piece grip. I considered the m4 also but could not justify it for every day civilian use. I have no need foe a granade launcher and see no reason for a compansator on a 223. Am I missing something here, is there a big difference?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#11]
NutsWoC I did see the flip up iron sights bushmaster makes and will most likely go with them. Can I install a Aimpoint between the two on the flattop and have a direct sight plain or will I need to raise the aimpoint to see my iron sights. How is you v-match setup done?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#12]
For your set up with the flip up front sight from Bushamster you have option to add either an Aimpoint or EOTech.

For Aimpoint, you will need an Aimpoint rail grabber mount for your Aimpoint, for the iron to be in the middle of your optic window. or you will need a spacer for the rail grabber to bring the itron to the lower third of your optic window.  another great choice to mount your Aimpoint is the GG&G cantilever mount.

Using EOTech, you do not need a mount, it can be mount directly to your upper and it will co-witness as you wish and the iron will be in the middle of your optic window.  

I would suggest selling yout tri rail gas block and get a font sight post, the front sight post will not get in your way in the optic window.  just a liitle getting use to.  the fornt post will be a better choice for the set up.

Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Spider I fail to see what the big difference is from say the bushmaster shorty tactical and the v-match with the exception of a free float barrel and 1 piece grip. I considered the m4 also but could not justify it for every day civilian use. I have no need foe a granade launcher and see no reason for a compansator on a 223. Am I missing something here, is there a big difference?
View Quote

The big difference is WEIGHT.  If you've ever spent all day at the range w/ the weapon comfortably supported by a bipod or bag punching neat holes in paper, & then had the opportunity to spend the next day physically holding the rifle & shooting at reactive targets you'd understand.  HBARs are great for the former, not so great for the latter.  Why could you not justify the M4 profile for "everyday use" when our military's finest do just that?  Nobody says you have to use a M203 or anything else it (the M4) lends itself to, but the pound or so difference makes all the difference in the world (practically speaking,) trust me.  You'll find VERY few individuals (if any) who have a choice weapon for "everyday use" that is equipped w/ a heavy barrel.  The compensator is another discussion altogether.  Some swear by them, some don't care for them at all.  I prefer to have one myself.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I totaly undrstand what you are saying. I think the M4 is a great weapon and design for military use but really does nothing for me as a civi as I said before. Weight really is not a factor for the avarge shooter such as I. The closest thing to reactive target shooting I will come to is soda cans rolling down a hill.If you have no plan or need to mount an M203 you have no need for the M4 barrel with its reduced diameter cut. A regular flat top carbine upper with a relatively accurate 16" heavy match barrel has only the difference of the lack of a cut in the barrel for the M203 attachment. In a way, you are getting a better barrel with the Non-M4 upper.Adding a muzzle break to it will only increase the amount of noise from a already short barrel. It is not as if the .223 round has any recoil to worry about anyway. If I were in the military the M4 would be my first choice. But I'm not.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#15]
i think i've got that exact upper... 16" flattop with the 3 rail gas block. i got the gas block simply to mount a flip up front sight. i'll probably make a sling mount for one of the side mounts... and may even incorporate a bipod mount in that, too.

i got the flip up front and rear sights from bushmaster and don't have much of a problem keeping rounds within a foot around 300 yards with the iron sights. i did have to drive the front sight post down several turns, but no big deal.

i bought a removable scope mount that i'll probably end up putting a cheap 10x on. i'm coming up with the plans for a shorter scope mount for a red dot type of scope my local shop has. it's cheap-ish and you can select the recticle from a dot, dot in circle, and cross hairs. i'm hoping that will make the 300 yard shooting much tighter. (well, and maybe shooting with less than 30mph wind gusts)

i figured i'd get a sling because it was hard to hang on to my AR when setting up targets, etc. i dunno, that HBAR fluted 16" bbl with normal handguards didn't feel any heavier than the A2s i used in the army way back when. i didn't really want the standard front sight post so as to not look so obviously like an AR.

i just use my ar at the range and sometimes i get treated to more long range shooting. i'm actually a little hesitant about the red dot for home security... i think i'll leave the iron sights setup. less distraction... i won't have something to turn on, guess what setting, do the batteries still work, etc. (unlike the "real" guys/gals who know when the fight happens, train and prepare for it...)

=) chris
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top