Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 6:49:09 AM EST
This is from another forum where I halfway host a firearms discussion:

I have a removable carry handel for my AR-15, but the elevation knob doesn't have the normal 8/3 or 6/3 knob. This has 0 through 20 in increments of five. What would be the increments for this? I was thinking hundreds of feet. Thanks for the help.

The carry handle has no markings and did not come with the gun. I'm guessing cheap knock-off, can anyone help?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:16:47 AM EST
AIRSOFT
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:26:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By die-tryin:
AIRSOFT

--> airsoft

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:37:52 AM EST
No, it's not airsoft. Someone installed an NM elevation index/sight base on the carry handle. It's not useful in any way as far as elevation calibration goes, it's just someone being too cheap/stupid to get the right parts for the carry handle. It's been seen a few times around here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:24:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By mongo001:
No, it's not airsoft. Someone installed an NM elevation index/sight base on the carry handle. It's not useful in any way as far as elevation calibration goes, it's just someone being too cheap/stupid to get the right parts for the carry handle. It's been seen a few times around here.

Assuming you are correct, and I don't doubt it. Could he simply replace the NM elevation index/sight base with a standard one? Or would he be better off buying a new rear sight assembly or carry handle?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:14:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 9:15:30 AM EST by mongo001]

Originally Posted By DesertRat66:

Assuming you are correct, and I don't doubt it. Could he simply replace the NM elevation index/sight base with a standard one? Or would he be better off buying a new rear sight assembly or carry handle?

Here's what I would do. I would try to verify that this isn't, in fact, some Chinese pot metal knock off carry handle. Assuming he can do that, I'd do one of two things.

First - get the parts. Bushmaster sells them, but they don't list them in their catalog or website. The cost of the parts is around $40 or so, IIRC. Which brings me to the second option.

Second - quality carry handles go for around $60+ on the EE, slightly more than the parts need to replace the sight on the carry handle. Watch the EE and grab one up in your price range.

I bought one of those pot metal junk carry handles and just zeoring it in and doing a few elevation adjustments was grinding the junk pot metal into dust under the adjust knob. I promptly got rid of it - but I told the purchaser exactly what he was getting. I threw it in with an upper for little extra cost.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:08:08 AM EST
Don't Armalite andsome other manufacturer (I'm thinking RRA) offer the service of putting NM parts on the detachable carry handle?

From what I've seen, they usually cost a few bucks more than the std. handles.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:27:42 AM EST
Oh, I had a thought while in the shower, right after my first response. In reality, it's just the elevation index that needs to be changed. All you need to get is a 6/3 index and install it on the elevation adjust knob.

Here's the Bushmaster part #:

index, elevation # 9349066-1------------------------------------$4.95

It does require complete sight removal to replace this part.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:19:23 PM EST

Oh, I had a thought while in the shower, right after my first response. In reality, it's just the elevation index that needs to be changed. All you need to get is a 6/3 index and install it on the elevation adjust knob.

You have a PC in your shower?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:23:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By _DR:

Doesn't everybody?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:44:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By _DR:

Uhm, yes I do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:54:56 PM EST
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'll check back later to see if any other information surfaces.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:53:02 PM EST
See this link.
Top Top