Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 2:41:12 AM EDT
I'm not sure if somebody's mentioned this already, but I think the AWB might have been good for the firearms industry. Think about it, a little over 10 years ago, people were going nuts buying up "pre-ban" firearms and hi-cap magazines before the ban went into effect, bringing in a lot of money to firearm manufacturers and dealers.
Over the course of the 10 years, I doubt anybody decided to not buy an AR simply because they couldn't have a flash supressor or collapsible stock. The people who absolutely had to have one of these features payed hundreds of dollars in premiums, again making more money for the previous owners or firearms dealers. Same goes for high capacity magazines.
Now, owners are again going nuts buying up "sunset guns" or whatever they're being called. If anything, the ban gave us two excuses, one in 1994 and one now to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on new guns, magazines, stocks, and flash hiders. If the ban never existed, I doubt any gains made by being able to sell higher capacity magazines would make up for the sheer flood of orders most retailers are experiencing now.
Don't get me wrong, I hated the ban just as much as the next guy. I'm just saying that it's making manufacturers and dealers a bit richer, and us a bit poorer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
This isn't about money.  It's about our second amendment rights.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The ban might have me spending more money, but its for things I wanted to get anyway.  I wanted to get more AR mags and highcaps for a few of my pistols.  Now I can get new ones instead of 10+ year old ones for less.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Lighten up, I'm trying to make fun of all the money we're spending right now. I think I've spent more money on my AR in the past few weeks than I have on two months worth of food. Believe me, I know all about the legal aspect of the AWB. That's not my point. What I'm saying is that a lot of people are buying stuff simply because they want to make their rifles "sunset guns" in case there is another ban. That in turn is making a lot of money for anyone involved in the manufactuer and sale of ARs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I do believe there is one positive aspect of the former AWB. It got A LOT of people into EBR's who otherwise never paid attention to them or thought about owning one. Diane Feinstein actually caused the exact OPPOSITE of what she wanted to happen.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I learned an important lesson. ALL LAWS Should have a sunset provision. Make our legislators be on record as to where they stand vis a vis every law.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The Sun did not set on our Permanent Ban here, but at least we can buy post bans, and pre-bans.....for now.
We have "limited" 2nd Amendment rights.

As far as purchases, business as usual around here, but I'll wait till next year when the smoke clears from those in the free states buying up all the AR stuff before I order my next RRA Lower.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
To tell you the truth, I was never really interested in AR-15 firearms.  That is, until I found this site and learned about the ban, etc.  Now I have gone through three different ARs and have a preban RRA M4 upper on order.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#8]
How about this for another take. It appears the anti's tried to equate full auto with the ban. When all hell doesn't break loose on the streets because all the so called Assault Weapons are available could the mis-conception play well into our hands on full auto? People think/thought the guns that were banned were full auto. At least the media tried to portray that.

Take advantage of that situation. New full auto 's have been off limits since 86(?). By executive order I believe, not Congress. I don't know what it would take but removing these restrictions would tend to get lost in the fog. A fog created by the likes of CNN, CBS, etc... The public thinks they were just made legal anyway.

Wishful thinking, I know. But I would love to see the media's purposeful misrepresentation of the facts come right back and bite 'em on the ass and serve freedom.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Take it for what its worth..Whoever bought whatever for whatever  reason for whatever amount of money, or who had to have a FH or Telestock, or bayo lug or a lower that actually said AR15 on it...

Its over..

Now we have to make sure something like it, or worse, doesnt happen.. Put the ARs down for a minute and write, email, call, fax, or send smoke signals.. Do not let this (AWB) happen again.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I do believe there is one positive aspect of the former AWB. It got A LOT of people into EBR's who otherwise never paid attention to them or thought about owning one.

That would be me.  I always told myself I would get an AR15 if the ban died.  Well, here I am, just built one and have a second planned thinking about a third.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Just because of the Ban I'm thinking about getting me an AR. Just because I can. I never wanted one before. The M16 was fun to shoot in the Army but I've always thought 30 06, 8mm and 308 was more fun. There is a big gun show this weekend and I plan to take a little cash. I may be somewhat more poor next week but I will be rich in exercising my Rights.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:39:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I really enjoy my 2 post-ban AR's, but the Garands and M1903's are great pieces of history.
CMP for those nice 30-06's.  The Mauser can be fun also...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes It is an important win for our rights, But it is also about money too, lets be serious. There are a lot of Dealer gouging our our eyes out. People are going nuts and paying rediculous prices. The new LEO Colts are going for more that Colt prebans were a few years ago. The price doubled overnight because of high demand and the opportunity t make a quick buck. I  bought my LEO bushys and Colts at a good price ahead of time. And I wanted them, But I was not about to pay 1800.00 simply for the LEO markings. Not all of the dealers are jacking the prices. I will continue to support my dealer who didn't try to jack me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top