Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2006 9:51:39 PM EDT
Here's my new toy. DPMS Panther 308 with 24' bull barrel. Sweet!
Fit and finish is awesome, and the rifle looks really solid. I also own a Bushy VMatch with 20" barrel, that is really good too, but IMO this DPMS looks/feel better. Just don't ask me to let the Bushy go, because is not gonna happen
If it shoots like it looks and feel, this is an outstanding rifle. The only thing I don't like it's the trigger.
Nothing bad in general, but the pull is the one of a combat trigger, and I really like lighter pulls (since I won't be planning  any comabt scenario with it ).
Here are a few pics ...

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#1]
nice catch.

What do 20rd mags cost for the rifle?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
nice catch.
What do 20rd mags cost for the rifle?

Sadly, way more than 223 ones
It uses AR10 magazines and a 20 rounds should be around $50.
The rifle comes with two of them.

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:08:14 AM EDT
[#3]
congrats on the new AR
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I should have probably cleaned the bolt before taking the pics, since in reality it's very clean and shiny under the oily skin
Now I wonder which trigger with pull <=2lbs can fit it, since the 6-7lbs one gotta go.

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:Now I wonder which trigger with pull <=2lbs can fit it, since the 6-7lbs one gotta go.

Geissele trigger is what you need
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:Now I wonder which trigger with pull <=2lbs can fit it, since the 6-7lbs one gotta go.

Are you sure it'll fit the Panther receiver? The Jard for example, is known to not fit it ...

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#8]
True, the magazines are much more expensive than AR-15 mags, but it actually uses SR-25 magazines, not AR-10 magazines.   The difference being, SR-25 / DPMS magazines are more reliable, better constructed and available.   Also, the SR-25 / DPMS magazines are perpindicular to the top plane of the lower receiver.    

The AR-10 magazines are converted from M1A mags.   They have a jury-rigged mag catch mechanism and feed at a 4 degree angle from vertical plane.

The SR-25 / DPMS magazines and AR-10 magazines ARE NOT interchangeable.

Enjoy the rifle, it looks good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes indeed, I just read the DPMS FAQ about it:

DPMS FAQ

It seems that also the original AR-10 Stoner waffle 20 round magazine is good for it ...

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure it'll fit the Panther receiver? The Jard for example, is known to not fit it ...

- Ice

I do not know, but I bet the guys at Creedmoor do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I will ask them as well as DPMS, because I don't want to drop $280 for something that doesn't fit

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Bro nice AR

the finnish is nicer than most iv seen on any gun!

congrads
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I wonder also if the Jewel trigger will fit my Panther. That would give a pretty light tunable pull at about $100 less.

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice rifle.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#15]
nice, looking forward to the range report.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#16]
OH MAN!!!

I want one, but in a M4gery configuration.............wouldnt that be something?!?!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:26:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Very Nice , I can tell your a proud papa, ENJOY
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm very much looking forward too Even if the standard 7lbs trigger won't be the best thing when it comes to accuracy.
I just wonder why DPMS does not to mount a 3-3.5lbs one (last stage), on a rifle that is clearly a target rifle.

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm very much looking forward too Even if the standard 7lbs trigger won't be the best thing when it comes to accuracy.
I just wonder why DPMS does not to mount a 3-3.5lbs one (last stage), on a rifle that is clearly a target rifle.

- Ice

Because there are too many cheap people out there that will bitch about the price.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, if you buy a 24" bull barrel, you likely gonna use the thing in precision long range shooting.
But with a 7bls pull, this is not gonna happen, so you have to buy a new trigger.
That to the end user ranges between the $150 to $250. I guess the manufacturer can get those ones at more affordable prices, and make them default on rifle like this, by increasing the value of the rifle (and a little bit of cost, of course) and make the buyer to save a few bucks
OTOH I paid the rifle $860 + shipping, that IMO is still a huge value for the money.

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
OH MAN!!!

I want one, but in a M4gery configuration.............wouldnt that be something?!?!

Well, here is their 16" ap4
http://www.dpmsinc.com/308_series.asp

Wonder how accurate it is?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn, everything about that is BIG..  that reciever looks huge, like a .50 cal reciever.  Except a little samller, kinda like a .30 cal reciever.  ()

Compairing apples to bananas to oranges here.. Its just big.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Damn, everything about that is BIG..  that reciever looks huge, like a .50 cal reciever.  Except a little samller, kinda like a .30 cal reciever.  ()
Compairing apples to bananas to oranges here.. Its just big.

Maybe it's the close-up pics
The rifle is definitely heavy, mostly due the 24" bull barrell. It feels really solid, that I think is really good when handlig 308.
Even the receiver extra thinkness, is really appreciated (look at the trigger picture and at the ejection window picture).
Tollerances are really tight too, and this makes me hope good as far as accuracy goes. Too bad I ran out of bullets and I'll have to shoot mil-surplus this weekend

- Ice

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Yup definatley heavy bull 308 and then some
I wanna put some liner down
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#25]
If you don't mind give us a range report when you take it out. I currently am debating one of these or a varminter for long range fun. I don't have Ar's chambered in anything other than 5.56 so 7.62 would be fun. Also, what kinda of optic have you considered topping it with?

ETA: The fit n finish looks wonderful judging by those pictures. Anything so far that is a complaint? That thing would be awesome with a nice stock with cheek weld, better pistol grip and a bipod.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you don't mind give us a range report when you take it out. I currently am debating one of these or a varminter for long range fun. I don't have Ar's chambered in anything other than 5.56 so 7.62 would be fun. Also, what kinda of optic have you considered topping it with?
ETA: The fit n finish looks wonderful judging by those pictures. Anything so far that is a complaint? That thing would be awesome with a nice stock with cheek weld, better pistol grip and a bipod.

I'm eager to get to the range. Like I said though, I ran out of mine 165gr SST bullets (they're on order, coming Monday ) and I'll be shooting mil-surplus stuff.
Also, I guess the 7lbs trigger won't help accuracy.
The scope that I mount at the moment is this:

Barska SWAT

that helped me in getting quite a few of these with my Savage 110FP 7mm RM:

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Thought I'd give another DPMS .308 impression/opinion...

Originally DPMS .308 18" BullBarrel carbine - not chrome lined (GASP!).

Had mine for about 1.5 years and love it.  Regular sub-MOA shooter with Fed 168GM.  I wasn't really impressed with the original 20 round metal mags so I went with a couple Knights Arm mags (fit beautifully) but they are cost prohibitive ($100-ish per mag).  I would try out the DPMS 20 rounders now.  I may have gotten a couple of original run that weren't top notch...IMO.

Anyway, I decided to get some serious optics after X-Mas and got what you see... Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40 30mm, side focus MilDot w/ Burris new XTR rings (these are NICE!  and I have Mark 4 rings on another rifle to compare....great value), I had the barrel cut/threaded and installed Smith Ent Vortex FH, Badger Tac-Latch, Rock River EXCELLENT 2-Stage trigger (these are also very nice!  Again a great value), and then I replaced the orig carbine FF tube with the rifle length and drilled and installed a front sling point for Harris bipod & Viking TacSling.  Magpul PRS and MIAD grip coming soon.....Can't wait to get back to the 600 yard range....

Cheers!

PS>  Buy that .308 DPMS, I don't think you'll be disappointed!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a JP trigger in mine. It is so much better then the stock trigger. I think most all the triggers will fit except the jard tigger.

James
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have a JP trigger in mine. It is so much better then the stock trigger. I think most all the triggers will fit except the jard tigger.

According to what DPMS told me, it is not a matter of fitting but a matter of reliability, WRT the Jard trigger.
They suggested me the JP too, even if I'd like to go below a 3lbs pull.
Currently I'm thinking to either a Geissele ($$$) or a Jewel.

PS: easy610, nice rifle! BTW, what did you put over the stock?

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#30]
You could try giving it a 5min triger job.  The instructions are around here somewhere.  Very easy and reliable.  Nice rifles guys.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to what DPMS told me, it is not a matter of fitting but a matter of reliability, WRT the Jard trigger.
They suggested me the JP too, even if I'd like to go below a 3lbs pull.
Currently I'm thinking to either a Geissele ($$$) or a Jewel.

PS: easy610, nice rifle! BTW, what did you put over the stock?

- Ice

I worked in an automotive adhesive company MANY moons ago.  They had this huge roll of adhesive backed thin felt.  I thought it would be useful and took it home instead of throwing it out...then forgot about it...for 13 years!  My mom and dad were cleaning out my closet at their home and found it standing in the coner of my old closet and she brought it over to me.  I've cut pieces and put it on my two Vltor stocked ARs and then my 308 DPMS A2 stock.  Feels very nice against your check especially when shooting in the Michigan cold winters!  Everyone comments on it when then shoulder the rifle..."...Wow!  That feels great!  Can I have some?"

PS.  I've shot it at the max of 600 yards thus far.  Was within the 9 or 10 ring with relative ease....thats with the RRA trigger.....don't dismiss it for $90.  I think it a real deal.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You could try giving it a 5min triger job.  The instructions are around here somewhere.  Very easy and reliable.  Nice rifles guys.

If I'll decide to go with the JP or the RRA, I'll polish them with dremel and jeweler paste (I already did it on the RRA I've on my Bushy).
I prefer to remove the trigger and use the dremel than forcing the hammer out with a screw driver (assuming you meant this for 5 min trigger job).

- Ice

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Before DPMS started printing in there advertisements that the Jard would not work, I already had a Jard adjustable trigger and and LR308 rifle.  The Jard trigger has been in it for several years and I have never had any issue.  This is what is rquired to fit though.  The flat surface on the safety/selector switch needs widened slightly.  And the trigger is a little long for the receiver due to the thicker and non rotating trigger guard.  Just required a little time and attention to detail and handfitting.  Like working on other guns (ie 1911s etc).
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#34]
it likes heavy bullets.  175 or 180gr matchkings.  heres mine.

dpms lr308
jp front sight base/adj globe sight
jp adj gas block/bsquare bubble level
versapod biped adapter modified for handstop
extended bolt release
jp single stage trigger 3.5# springs
tubbs cws
tubbs grip
egw buttstock
duracoat od

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Before DPMS started printing in there advertisements that the Jard would not work, I already had a Jard adjustable trigger and and LR308 rifle.  The Jard trigger has been in it for several years and I have never had any issue.  This is what is rquired to fit though.  The flat surface on the safety/selector switch needs widened slightly.  And the trigger is a little long for the receiver due to the thicker and non rotating trigger guard.  Just required a little time and attention to detail and handfitting.  Like working on other guns (ie 1911s etc).

Is it Dremel-solveable?

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#36]
        I own the same rifle.Mine has the Rock River two stage trigger in it and it works great.Mine is accurate and functions flawlessly with the metal magazines. Enjoy your new toy.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I had one like it in 24" and it was far more accurate than I was capable of shooting.  

I traded the upper for a new AP4 16" last month.  I havent had a chance to shoot it more than 50 yards so far.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#38]
No kidding! What type of finish is that? mines got the standard parkerizing I think its called, and I already have a chip and scratch. The coating on that lower looks really nice and tough.

Me want
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#39]
HotIce,
Nice rifle.  If you are looking for prices on 308 ammo for blasting look here.  Looks like your set up is more of a tack driver.  I have AR-10s and they are very accurate but it is fun to blast away sometimes.

The DPMS for the price you paid is a sick deal. ENJOY

EDIT:  HotIce how is that scope?  Is the glass good? I have seen that brand for spotting scopes and other optics but never that scope.   Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
No kidding! What type of finish is that? mines got the standard parkerizing I think its called, and I already have a chip and scratch. The coating on that lower looks really nice and tough.
Me want

Actually I don't know which kind of finish is that, but it looks tough. I have no plans in intentionally trying to find out how tough it is though

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
EDIT:  HotIce how is that scope?  Is the glass good? I have seen that brand for spotting scopes and other optics but never that scope.   Where did you get it?

I have three of them , paid $250 each at opticsplanet. They are tough and very good for the price. There are for sure better optics, but since I have many rifles I cannot spend $1K on each one only for scopes.
All the three I have performed really well so far, even when mounted on high-kick bolt sction rifles.

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:52:41 AM EDT
[#42]
What kind of scope is that?

Bags
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:26:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Nice .30 cal. Thanks for all the pics.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Dang was hoping you knew what kind of finish.. Anyone else know, or for that matter know where I could send in my lower to get that kind of thing coated on it? I have this weird need to keep everything looking prestine her
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I finally went to the range today to sight and shoot my new Panther. The rifle is awesome
As I said, I ran out of bullets and I only had Portuguese suplus to shoot. The rifle went through about 120 rounds without a single problem. The heavy 24" barrel helps making the rifle more controllable.
I'm not able to say something about accuracy, since the 7lbs trigger is definitely heavy. Also ammunition was clearly not match one.
Under this conditions groups ranged between 0.8 to 3 MOA. But this is definitely because of the trigger. Today I also shot my Winchester Stealth II where I has a new Jard displacing the stock trigger (heavy).
My groups went sub-MOA even when shooting surplus 308, whereas before they were on the same ballpark of the DPMS.
Time to shop for triggers ...

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
What kind of scope is that?
Bags

I posted a link in the first post of the seconds page ...

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#47]
OK, I've restricted my range to three triggers (I want <=2lbs pull - at least for the last stage):

1) Jewel - This is reported to work fine on the Panther, even if the hammer does not have the usual Alien's monster back-head typical of AR10 hammers. Price ~ $180

2) Jard AR10 - I'm not able to get a clear answer from DPMS about if the Jard AR10 trigger will fit and will work reliably on my Panther. I'd love the Jard if and only if I'll have clear reports that will fit and work fine. Price ~ $150

3) Geissele - No answers yet about fitting/working in the Panther. Price (sigh!) ~ $280

If someone can shed light about the Jard and the Geissele, that'll be much appreciated ...

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#48]
They are truely great rifles. I love mine. I have the 24" with all the fixins and a Chip McCormick trigger and it is AWSOME. Right now I have a SS16X42 on it but I'm looking for a new scope. Either a Leupold or maybe a NSX if the wife will let it slide. I also have the new MAGPUL pr stock on order for it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
They are truely great rifles. I love mine. I have the 24" with all the fixins and a Chip McCormick trigger and it is AWSOME. Right now I have a SS16X42 on it but I'm looking for a new scope. Either a Leupold or maybe a NSX if the wife will let it slide. I also have the new MAGPUL pr stock on order for it.

What the CMC pull? I was reluctant in considering it since I heard of QC issues ...

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#50]
After a kind-of-delusional first trip to the range using the stock DPMS many-pounds trigger, I was able to install a Jard 2lbs  in my Panther and groups became better looking (60 rounds of mil-surplus, best 0.6MOA, average 1MOA, worst 4MOA with suspect flyers).
Still have to test it with my reloads.

The Jard AR10 trigger, at least the one I received, had many fail to ignite with the mil-surplus ammo (didn't try other ammo). Replaced the Jatd hammer spring with the one of the stock DPMS trigger, shortened the spring "legs" by about 1/4", and everything worked fine for the remaining 50 rounds.
Even if Jard suggest to back out the sear engagement screw by 3/4 turn, I suggest a full turn instead. This leads to a sligthly longer takeout, but IMO the trigger is so light that your cross-hair won't even notice

- Ice

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top