Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/2/2009 9:10:54 PM EST
I bought my 1st AR last April and have since added TONS of stuff to it and have just had the best time i could have shooting with friends, at the range, etc. After joining AR-15.com a while ago I have just been soaking up as much as I can........and like i think 90% of the people here, i soaked too much because now I am about to embark on my first build. After lots of reading/emails/1 on 1 conversations I think that I finally have the build that I want to put together.

I would love to hear some input/comments/critiques on it.

For the Upper Half:

Vltor Mur Upper w/ Forward Assist
GTS/Dennys Guns Super Duty Bolt/Bolt Carrier (M16)
ACLM Ambidextrous Charging Handle ............ yeah im a lefty
16" White Oak Recon Barrel ............ will be sent off for matte/bead blasted finish and cut to 13.7"
LaRue Tactical 11" Gooseneck Handguard
LaRue Tactical Low Profile Gas Block
Noveske KX3 Flash Suppressor
Mid Length Gas Tube ............ i haven't really found any one gas tube brand to be better than the other but if someone knows of one id love to know

and for the Lower Half:

Denny's Guns Ultimate Billet Receiver with Stainless Bushings
Daniel Defense Lower Receiver Parts Kit
H buffer
LaRue Tactical Super Duty Chrome Silicon Buffer Spring
Noveske QD End Plate

..........i think that should be about it. Besides the red dot, Peq-5, lights and tan furniture that should just about do it.

Id love to hear any comments from ya'll. I am really excited to get started on this new project!
Thanks

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:13:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:39:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 9:40:41 AM EST by bushflyr]
TTIWWOP!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:17:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By bushflyr:
TTIWWOP!

wuts that mean?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:25:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 10:27:01 AM EST by wahoo95]
Originally Posted By Rock501:
TTIWWOP!

wuts that mean?

This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures!!!!

I'm assuming there are no pics because you were simply giving a description of a "proposed" build?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:39:23 AM EST
oh, lol, well yeah i agree

i just ordered the 1st group of parts, hopefully they will be here by sometime this weekend
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:40:36 AM EST
Doh! Reading > me. I missed the "about to embark on my first build" phrase. I thought you had done that stuff to your first AR.

Anyway. Parts look mostly fine. Except for a couple things. 1. There's no reason to use a KX3 on a 16" barrel. It does nothing, looks goofy, and it's really heavy. It's a SBR part. 2. Same with the Gooseneck HG. No point if you're not trying to poke a little more sight radius on a SBR. And 3. The lower looks blingy, but it's way too spendy and pointless. Why put SS bushings into a non rotating part. Just grab a brand x billet lower, I use Sun Devil, but the Mega's look nice too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:01:17 AM EST
ZING! the KX3 weight issue strikes again

but yah, the billet lower from Dennys, ive looked and looked and looked (and this issue is still a maybe) but i wanted to go with whatever i could find to be the most structurally integral lower .....kinda like the vltor mur upper, and since i heard that Dennys lower had reinforced areas on it and those hex heads to eliminate the need for kns anti-rotation pins i figured ok

but at the same time.....ya know.....spikes has a little goody coming out soon so that leads my back to my previous statement "and this issue is still a maybe"

ive seen and heard of uppers exploding out of the sides so that is what lead me to the MUR but ive never heard, much less witness, a lower receiver blowing up so im not sure how completely important it would be to have reinforced areas on a lower.....at the same time however, i know the people over at global tactical dont make bogus claims or sell crap products

but if the reinforcement areas aren't really an issue than i know i could buy a lower somewhere else and put KNS anti-rotation pins on it for much less than the cost of a Dennys Lower
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:32:08 AM EST
ZING! the KX3 weight issue strikes again

Not so much the weight as it's not the right tool for the purpose. I have one on my Kitty Kat and love it, but would never consider putting one one on anything over ~10". There are just better, cheaper, and, yes, lighter, options out there.

Lower receivers really don't "blow up". The usual failure just blows the mag out. And, as for KNS pins, just put in a JP trigger kit and it comes with it's own anti-walk pins.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:28:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By wahoo95:
TTIWWOP!

wuts that mean?

This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures!!!!

I'm assuming there are no pics because you were simply giving a description of a "proposed" build?

Then it would be "TTIWWP"

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:17:06 PM EST
ah ha ha ha! i see whatchya did there
Top Top