Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/8/2005 12:04:01 PM EDT
I just aquired the following items from fellow members on EE: RAS II , GG&G Aimpoint Mount, Aimpoint 3x and the left-flip Samson mount. My thanks to NY-EMT, Guncop320 and TalonArms (3x mount).  These are all great people to deal with.

I've built this myself and it has seen many configurations but this one feels the best. Aside from the obvious pieces, it has a Bushmaster crome lined M4 barrel, KAC 300m BUIS, Norgon Ambi catch, DPMS Ambi sselector, MIAD Grip with spare bolt and firing pin, and KAC M4QD flash suppressor/silencer mount. The Aimpoint is a Comp ML2. It was one of the first Comp ML2 units.

Here are some photos:

Link Posted: 7/8/2005 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you shoot leftie?

Just curious...all the controls are on the left side except the front sling mount.
* (duh! it iS on the correct side! Not enough coffee today!)

Does the 3X flip mount get in the way of the charging handle?
I guess it only takes a millisecond to flip the mount back...

Very nice rig!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#3]
VERY NICE!  What grip do you have on there?  Did you do the red and white coloring on the "safe" and "fire" etchings?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
SBR or 14.7"?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.

GR:
Yes, lefty. The side sling adapter belongs on the right side if you shoot lefty.

When the 3x is up, it is very much like my ACOG as far as reaching the charging handle. When flipped, it is far enough to the left that there is easy access to the CH.

Thanks Lumpy.

GW:
It is a Magpul MIAD. It is a preproduction unit. The current ones are even better.
I did it with grease pencils. Holds up surprisingly well.

windom:
~14.8"
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks great!  

How do you like the Samson flip mount?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Yo,
I just got it mounted today and will try it at the range tomorrow but while playing living room commando, it feels really well made and gives me the most versitility. If I want CQB I throw the ARMS lever and take it off. If I want magnification I mount it. If it is on and you want instant CQB, press the lever and it flips out of the way-right now.  It is spring loaded so it doesn't flop around but can be locked back in place with just a push.

I have a TA31 DoD ACOG and the magnified dot of the AP and 3x works just like the ACOG's BAC. The TA31 has a bigger field of view and the image is a bit brighter (the ACOG is one fine optic) but overall this set-up seems like it lets you have your cake and eat it too.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
That's one heck of a nice blaster.  
Aren't those ambi parts the ticket for us left handed shooters?
I've been very pleased with my lefty QF 3X mount.
If I could have only one optic setup, it would be the Aimpoint with 3X magnifier on the QF mount.

Link Posted: 7/8/2005 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice!  And it was a pleasure doing business.

Link Posted: 7/8/2005 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Does that Quick Flip some how lock when in the down position or would it just kind of flop around while running?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

windom:
~14.8"

So is the flash hider perm attached or do  you have an SBR?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

windom:
~14.8"

So is the flash hider perm attached or do  you have an SBR?

I sent the barrel to Kurt at KKF and he shortened the barrel and pinned & welded the FS. Total length is 16.1"

Ed907;
Very sweet. Nice set-up.

MB:
The flip mount is spring loaded and retained by that small silver tab on the right side of our left-flip units. It stays in place until you press the tab then flips open. The spring tension keeps it from flopping in the open position.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking at it I thought maybe that was it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#16]
His Indian name shall be Runs With Tacpoint.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Sorry but I don't understand. Tacpoint?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry but I don't understand. Tacpoint?

Me either, but that's twice he's made it around something I've said, but I have Eotechs on both my ARs, I don't really like Tube style red-dots.

I can only guess that's it's because I got pissed during the great Tacpoint wars at those that wouldn't just shut up and let people buy what they want to.

ETA: Pic
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry...lame attempt at humor aimed at no one.  Everyone unbunch their panties.

Wow, is that really you MudBug?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#20]
No problem Lump. I like a good laugh and can usually figure them out but this one went right over my head.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome, ducati!!

That's no safe queen.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Oh, and you're a LEFTY!!!

Lefties-we are the ones in our right mind.
Seeing your review of the 3x with the RAS II pushed me over the edge. I found a guy with a RAS II who wanted a RAS so we just traded.  Since my M4QD FS is welded on, the RAS II was a good way to free float the barrel and move my Aimpoint further forward. The guy with the RAS II also had a GG&G mount and he made me a brother deal. Thinks started falling in place as I found a like LNIB 3X with intact rubber for $380.

I've run a lot of ammo through this and have never had a problem until a month ago when the lugs on either side of the extractor broke off the bolt. Surprised me. It was a Bushmaster bolt. No harm to anything else and I had a new, spare bolt assembly in my MIAD grip so we were back in action quickly. I try to use nothing but quality parts and I think it is worth it but even they brake after enough use.

Ed
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#25]
This set-up worked great at the range. I use the Santose 50yd zero. Zeroing took very little time. I shoot a set of silhouette targets that a scaled for 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 yards when positioned at 25 meters. The set consists of 10 silhouettes. With the 3x, it was pretty easy to hit each target in the center of mass repeatedly. Much easier than w/o the 3x, epeccially on the 250 and 300 yard targets.
This is my favorite set-up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice rigs to all, especially MudBug since he uses the EOTech.  Ok, not trying to hijack and start a war.

Ducati-

Are you able to reach the Norgon mag release w/ the mags that way.  I'm curious because I too am a lefty.

Edwin-

I'm curious as to why you've chosen to use the cantilever mount?  Seems to me that the MRP would negate the use for it, and one could just use a standard spacer.  I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm just genuinely curious as to what made you chose that in particular.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I was wondering if i would be able to put a 3x magnifier on my ar.  i also have the RAS II with the aimpoint mounted on top as you do.  however i have the arms #40 buis at the rear.  does anyone know if the 3x magnifier would clear the rear sight while the sight is locked down?  i tried to gauge it by comparing the pictures but it seems it would be a tight fit if at all.  anyone know for sure?  i wouldn't want to buy one only to find that i need a new buis as well.  thanks guys.

Link Posted: 7/11/2005 2:58:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Holy crap, I might sell my ACOG now for this setup.  Tagged.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:29:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes. You can reach the Norgon w/o difficulty.
Ed
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:36:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Edwin- I'm curious as to why you've chosen to use the cantilever mount?

Two things, versatility for use on a regular flat top receiver without a floating rail, don't want to have to break the loctite if it's not neccessary, and second, I just think it looks good.
I prefer LaRue Tactical for optics mounts, but their mount wouldn't line up with the Samson QF mount (perhaps they will make a base to fit the Samson QF mount replacing the ARMS base), and if it would line up, I would have used their cantilever mount for the same reasons, plus it gives you an extra battery compartment.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#34]
How much weight does it add? And how noticable was it?
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
How much weight does it add? And how noticable was it?

For reference, when I put my 3X w/Larue M68 CCO mount on my rifle, it adds 0.6 lbs or about 9.6 oz. I used a digital bathroom scale for this and not a postal scale so take that with a grain of salt.I can't say I noticed the weight difference with it on or off since it's adding weight pretty much right above my hand.

I finally got my new Aimpoint setup out to the range to zero this weekend. All and all, it's fine for what it is but I still like the simplicity and lack of batteries with my TA-31. If nothing else, the sight picture on the Aimpoint rig is noticeabley darker than that of the TA-31. Both setups have a Killflash on them.

I bought the magnifier so I could have a rifle that had a great CQB sight and magnification for shooting longer ranges and target ID (not that I have to worry about ID'ing paper )
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 1:57:31 AM EDT
[#36]
thanks talon,
since i have the version with the cut off top aperture i think i shouldn't have any problems.  correct me if i'm wrong but i should also have no problem using the aimpoint twist mount insted?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Woah.  I am gonna bring this thread back from the depths of this board.  

Here's my question short and sweet.  For you guys with the Aimpoint 3x and a standard FSP, what kind of image does it create in the FOV?  Is the blurring heavy or unnoticeable?

And another question.  From what I get from Edwin's post, the Samson QF mount will only work with an Aimpoint in an ARMS mount correct?  If that is true, then will a Aimpoint 3X in a LaRue mount work with an Aimpoint in another LaRue mount?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Here's my question short and sweet.  For you guys with the Aimpoint 3x and a standard FSP, what kind of image does it create in the FOV?  Is the blurring heavy or unnoticeable?

As with any magnified optic, there will be a slight black line up the middle of the glass from the FS. Whether or not this bothers you is up to you.

And another question.  From what I get from Edwin's post, the Samson QF mount will only work with an Aimpoint in an ARMS mount correct?  If that is true, then will a Aimpoint 3X in a LaRue mount work with an Aimpoint in another LaRue mount?
The difference in height between the Larue and ARMS mounts is .115 inches or a little less than an 1/8" of an inch. So will it work? Yes. The 1/8" won't make a noticeable difference at least not to me. I tried my Magnifier with Larue mount on my Aimpoint w/ARMS mount and it didn't bother me.  

I'm going to wait and see if Mr. Larue is going to offer a flip mount similar to the ARMS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Thanks.

The front sight is a little more noticeable than with my TA31, but not bothersome at all.

I think at least one user (dghboy315) has used the Samson QF with the LT mount, I think you could use the 3X magnifier's adjustments to center the dot. The two mounts have a height difference, the LT is like .115" higher according to WES's Aimpoint Mount Data in the MSTN industry forum.  
Since the magnifier isn't zeroed, I wouldn't think that this offset would be particularly significant, and I'm surprised somebody doesn't make a simple 4 hole plate that thickness to put between the QF mount and the Magnifier.  Check the photos and you'll see what I mean.
I considered it, but don't have any buddies in a machine shop right now so I got the ARMS Aimpoint mount and I'm very happy with it.

Of course you can use 2 LT mounts, but then you give up the quick flip feature  which is the strong part of this system.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks guys.

I will go ahead and start out with the Aimpoint for now and hopefully when my build is complete in a few months LT will have made a replacement for the ARMS #17 that is on the Samson QF mount.  That would be the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Ed,
Like I always say - you got the coolest toys!  Very nice!

-Forest
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Hello Guy´s,

here is my setup.

Aimpoint M3 2MOA-Dot and 3x Magnifier on a Samson QF right. An ARMS #40L SP is still on the way to Germany he
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9041/oa158fv.jpg
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks Forest. I've seen some of your toys and you have a pretty nice collection too.

Addressing the mount questions:
My Aimpoint is in a GG&G mount and while the alignment is not perfect, I can't detect any bad effects either.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a question:

Is there a look through protection cap for the Aimpoint on the market?

I like to buy such a cap because i always have to flip the magnifier to the right to open the rear protection cap of my aimpoint.

Thanks,
Daniel
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Daniel,

The Butler Creek Blizzard see through caps will work, sizes are 09 Front and 02A rear, the window on the rear flip-up is only about the size of a dime but it will not affect your field of view while looking through the 3X, I have these lens covers on my sight and the only time that I open them is when I am not using the 3X, these caps are also sold by Aimpoint and they are available through any of the Aimpoint dealers on this forum. There are several Aimpoint mounts of different heights on the market, but an offset between the 3X and the sight will not make a difference in the field of view. I have my M3 in the Larue Cantilever mount and my 3X is in a Twist Mount, needless to say they do not line up but it does not effect the field of view. The height of the Twist Mount will be compatible with any Aimpoint/flat-top mount on the market, and so will the flipper thing.

Rick
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:19:26 AM EDT
[#47]
@ Rick,

thank you for your help!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#48]
ducati650, DeeJay574, I've asked this alot. Thought I'd ask one more time; With your set up, can you shoot nose to charging handle with 3x? I'm guessing you have to come back from the handle a little bit.
Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Machining from billet does produce extremely crisp lines of the OA-15s.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top