Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2011 9:38:19 PM EST
Paul over at the Pelican Armory has been hooking me up! I just had him cut out some custom foam for my Pelican 1700 case.

They used heavy duty closed cell foam, and a myriad of methods to cut it out to an exacting fit. I have never seen a better fit in a weapons case. Even the caps for the P-Mags have their own contour cutout..

Paul also has my Rem700 and I can't wait to see what hes going to pull off with that one.. He was talking about actually installing my DOPE book in the lid foam, held in with a velcro strap..

Check it out!!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6200/6122594883_7b88e379e0_b.jpg
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 11:12:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2011 11:15:17 PM EST by Aimless]
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 11:18:42 PM EST
Looks nice, but Mfingar has an excellent thread on do it yourself foam cutting.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 11:35:37 PM EST
No advertisement here. Paul is hooking me up and I am impressed with his work and grateful for his help, so I am spreading the word about it.

The closed cell foam is nothing like what comes in the pelican cases, trust me.. I know.. I work part time for Pelican Products, and while their cases are second to none, their foam is garbage. There are many advantages to upgrading the foam and having it precision cut to your specific setup and accessories.

As far as the "myriad of methods" he uses to cut the foam to the desired shapes and contours, they utilize anything from a hot knife/wire to a CNC router and waterjet.

There is a lot to be said about a perfectly fit case with quality foam, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 1:12:57 AM EST
For the price of a Pelican, one would think that no upgrades would be needed.....garbage foam?
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 8:45:52 AM EST
Relative garbage, especially in comparison.. It is just very soft and it is hard to work with to get a great cutout. It will break down quickly in the presence of oils or chemicals, and lacks in the shock absorption department. Again, in comparison to the closed cell poly-ethylene foam that now resides in my case.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 7:05:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Looks like an ad The case comes with good closed cell foam. A "myriad of methods" to cut foam?

im going to go with this.

Link Posted: 9/8/2011 8:11:16 AM EST
Case like that isn't necessary unless you're flying.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 11:33:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By bigkracka:

I guess it is true.. Opinions are like a**holes.. Everybody has one and they all stink!
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 12:12:47 PM EST
looks like they do a pretty good job cutting the foam. I went the "how hard could this POSSIBLY be " route and kinda wish i had just sent it off. Looks like hell in a few parts, I had to epoxy a few pieces of foam back in. but everything's held snug and im not really. trying to impress anyone..
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 5:30:04 PM EST
The foam in the pelican and storm cases doesnt hold up. If someone has an alternative, I think that's great. And yes I agree for the price, it shouldn't suck, but it does.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 6:30:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By SVThuh:
Originally Posted By bigkracka:

I guess it is true.. Opinions are like a**holes.. Everybody has one and they all stink!

nice reply

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 9:37:07 PM EST
No advertisement here. Paul is hooking me up and I am impressed with his work and grateful for his help, so I am spreading the word about it.

The closed cell foam is nothing like what comes in the pelican cases, trust me.. I know.. I work part time for Pelican Products, and while their cases are second to none, their foam is garbage. There are many advantages to upgrading the foam and having it precision cut to your specific setup and accessories.

As far as the "myriad of methods" he uses to cut the foam to the desired shapes and contours, they utilize anything from a hot knife/wire to a CNC router and waterjet.

There is a lot to be said about a perfectly fit case with quality foam, IMO.

you sure your not trying to sell this stuff?
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 10:28:46 PM EST
My Shill-o-meter is pegged.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 2:19:07 PM EST
Waited all the way 'till post number 15 for the name calling to begin.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:47:29 PM EST
Ok,

I've always wondered about custom cases to protect your weapon.

Seems silly to me, my weapon is best help in hand.

In a case it's useless...

And furthermore if your weapon can't handle a bit of abuse...but better parts...

All my weapons need to perform first and for most...

Now there is a use for a case...travel on commercial planes...which I avoid at all costs...

But even then your weapon should be able to survive unharmed in any hard sided case...

My 2 cents.

B
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 1:23:26 AM EST
No advertisement here.

BS...Just another AD...
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:10:36 PM EST
Wow if this an add....fire the OP he's giving bad press
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 5:38:02 AM EST
For some of you folks who do not know, and wish to flame other's products or the products that they buy from individuals (hello, support small businesses, if you have so much disdain for Mr. Obama and his policies)...

Pelican Armory is a corporate sponsor for Ashely Spurlin, yes, Top Shot Season 2... they also do products for other individuals. SVTHuh is not advertising, but merely showing off... just like you other turds do with your products that have no viable use.

Some of us live in states that a gun safe is not a viable option for protecting our assets. In addition, I hunt in South Texas, and the elements are a key issue. Some of our guns are valuable for personal reasons, other than it's a certain brand. That being said, other than traveling on a plane, a good quality gun case, with a perfect match fit inside the case is perfect for maintaining the ability to use the weapon, far beyond my usefulness and long after I'm dead (passing it down is a novel concept). It just so happens that Pelican Armory is one of the FEW companies that share that same insight, and we tend to share the work that we pay for in such a manner. That photo is one of their photos, but it is indeed the rifle that SVT owns.

Call it what you want, but for crying out loud, lay off the haterade and revel in the joy this man is sharing. Otherwise, shut up!

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 8:50:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2011 8:54:30 AM EST by RandyStacyE]
SVThuh, out of curiosity, how were they able to cut your foam out for you? Did you have to bring your weapon to them in order for them to cut it for you with such precision & accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 10:54:47 AM EST
I'm not SVThuh, but the way that they do it is kept to themselves (methods, rather), and yes, you do send them your weapon system, or any other items that you want in the case for them to put together the pattern and do the cutting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:51:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2011 11:55:51 AM EST by Donner_und_Blitzen]

good looking case..
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:30:16 PM EST
Thats a very nice case and the foam looks really good
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:30:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2011 11:35:49 AM EST by Donner_und_Blitzen]
I have a similar one, but it came from GDP Industries. I agree that they are not needed in most applications, but I haul my guns in the open bed of a 4-wheel drive truck on curvy 2 lane roads and for last mile to the range on a VERY curvy one lane mud/gravel mountain road. I want the best protection I get in case of a crash and or roll over to and from the range.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:07:42 PM EST
So whats the cost and lead time for this MAGIC?
Top Top