Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 2:03:49 PM EDT
Yesterday I recieved my TA31F. I purchased it off the EE here and I could not have had a better experience (thanks again Jeremy). I wanted to let you all know what a noob I am. After unpacking it I couldn't wait to get my first look thru it. Only seeing a red dot I was some what troubled as I knew the "F" model was supposed to show a chevron with drop. I emailed the seller and he explained that perhaps I was making a mistake in looking thru it as he was certain that he sent exactly what he had advertised. So I went back to it...my second look proved he was rite. I did not think it would be so hard to pick up the chevron.....i guess my question is: in times that necessitate rapid target acquisition how does one line up correctly? It still takes me a long time to get everything looking the way it is meant to when putting my cheek to the stock, is this normal or will I get better at this in time?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you need to reduce the distance of your eye relief (to say 3")?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmm........that specific unit never gave me any problems.  How do you have it mounted?  It may just take sometime for your brain to get used to the BAC.  It took me awhile to overcome my left eye dominance as a right handed shooter when using a both eyes open magnified optic, such as the ACOG.  Although, I never found acquiring the chervon difficult.  Do a google for phoria (I think that is what is it called).  It affects only a small portion of the population, but renders the concept of BAC useless to them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I've gotten better with time; are you just looking through it indoors or have you taken it to the range yet?  If you’re having a focus problem try looking at a distant target through the scope (not at the reticle).  The reticle is rather small when using one eye, but when using both it seems to grow (to me at least).

Here is a view of my TA31F:

I typically have my nose just touching the charging handle (or very close to it).
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've gotten better with time; are you just looking through it indoors or have you taken it to the range yet?  If you’re having a focus problem try looking at a distant target through the scope (not at the reticle).  The reticle is rather small when using one eye, but when using both it seems to grow (to me at least).

Here is a view of my TA31F:
www.hunt101.com/img/352197.jpg

I typically have my nose just touching the charging handle (or very close to it).

Thats still pretty freaking small.  

Glad I haven't bought an Acog yet
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yeah, if your only using one eye.  When using both eyes it seems ~2x larger, enough to clearly make out this:
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, if your only using one eye.  When using both eyes it seems ~2x larger, enough to clearly make out this:
www.hunt101.com/img/352196.jpg

Gotcha.  Well I might have to look into it again.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I have not taken it to the range yet but continue to "practice" at home. God only knows what the neighbors think looking into my kitchen windows seeing me with my ar up to my nose???
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]
One eye or two eyes mine looks the same size.
I have the 4 MOA donut reticle.  When I look through mine the donut just pops into view.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]
the ACOG doesn't have an adjustable ocular, so it may be your eyesite.....
do you wear glasses?
if so, when was the last time you had your eyes checked....if not, maybe you need to....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I have multiple ACOG's (for work and play) and can say that you've got a good one.  On non-teaching rifles I run a TA-11 w/ the donut.  For 3-Gun, it's nice, cause you get the dot on and squeeze for CQB.  For longer range, the center of the dot is zeroed at 200 yards, allowing me to use the top of the donut for almost right at 100 yards and the bottom of the donut is almost right at 300 yards.  Good enough anyways to hit two flashers with about a 100m transition in under 4 seconds.  

For teaching rifles and my rifle for work, I run a TA-01NSN.  I do add a JPoint for the teaching rifles and CQ situations.  Without the donut (or other small illuminating reticle) it's a slower to just shoot the crosshairs at medium distances.  With the JPoint, anything under 75 yards is his.  After that, it's the ACOG.

You'll get used to the chevron in time.  Just practice with it at home, doing a lot of dry firing, mounting and un-mounting the rifle, etc. drills and then send some lead down range executing the drills you've done at home.  If you concentrate and make the most of the time that you have, you'll be suprised how quick you will become useful with your new sighting platform.

Good luck with it!!!

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top