Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/23/2004 9:57:59 AM EST
I asked my local dealer if I buy a LEO rifle and have it shipped to him after the ban, will he have a problem handing it over to me. He said that he hasent got a answer from the ATF on this yet. Heck, they may never give a answer to that question. Has anyone got any officeal information on this. By the way, I cant find a copy of the ATF letter about owning a LEO marked lower being leagle as long as it dosent have the evil features. Can someone remind me where it is or post a link. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:05:14 AM EST
A local FFL recently had an LEO marked lower only, with a letter from the ATF stating that they could sell the lower to civillians.

Hope this helps,
Gribble
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:05:47 AM EST
to my understanding its not the fact that the lower would be marked LEO, DEA, FBI only that would be a problem to you. It would be the "evil" features that woudl get you in trouble. I have a buddy that has 2 LEO only marked ARs. They have a 20" and 24" barrel and an A2 stock. Perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:16:16 AM EST
Here ya go. It is a letter I received from the ATF earlier this year.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:38:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By patrickcudd:
Here ya go. It is a letter I received from the ATF earlier this year.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=24971

And there you have it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:49:05 AM EST
Um, this letter says that the rifle is legal because it doesn't have over the numberof evil features allowed by the ban. I think we're confusing the stamp-mark "LEO ONLY" and "evil features." The letter says nothing about post-Sept. 13th.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:50:06 AM EST
If it helps at all there is a dealer on the EE pre selling LEO rifles to civilians for after the ban. So it must be perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:39:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By macros73:
Um, this letter says that the rifle is legal because it doesn't have over the numberof evil features allowed by the ban. I think we're confusing the stamp-mark "LEO ONLY" and "evil features." The letter says nothing about post-Sept. 13th.

What makes the "evil" features evil is the crime bill which is going bye-bye. No law-no crime. And I would be willing to stand before a jury of my peers for that one!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:51:47 PM EST
I took a copy of the letter to my dealer and asked that he be ready to hand me a LEO rifle on the 15th. He read the leater and was happy that I showed it to him, he didnt have any extensive knowadge of selling a LEO lower. I think he is going to check into it himself. I will be reminding him that I am planning on walking out of his shop with one the 15th. Thanks guys for posting the letter for me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:56:35 PM EST
Only problem may be that the FET is not paid by manufacturers for complete firearms made for LEO/military use. So, if your dealer sells you a brand-spankin' new rifle that was made for LEO use (and thus no FET paid), I believe it could be seen as tax evasion. Stripped receiver shouldn't be a problem since the FET isn't paid on them anyway. I believe buybacks/surplus are typically considered OK for resale, since they were originally manufactured for, and use be LE.

Rocko
Top Top