Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2004 2:11:57 PM EDT
This has been building for awhile and is not directed at any one poster. I thought I knew quite a bit about the AR and when I found this sight about 2 years ago I thought "wow.. there are some knowledgable guys and Gals who no some shit about some shit" I lurked on this board for a bout a year until I even signed on, reading post's and learning. and also gettting a feel for the posters who I thought knew shit and the ones that new jack shit.

But after about 2 years on this board it amazes me how some of you get out of bed in the morning and decide how your gonna get to work,what your gonna wear and what your gonna pack for lunch.  it's like no one even wants to bother to look up info that has been posted on time and time again. Hell. in the first year of lurking I could read about the same shit on a monthly basis.   Colt or Bushy,,who's the Best?? Aimpoint or EOTech, which one should I get? ARMS or LaRue??
Etc, etc.  Now I know there are some that would say. Well that's what the boards for. for new guys to learn. But I say all that does is let them eat up Bandwidth instead of having some decent disscussions that someone might actually learn that's NEW!!!

Now it seems that the same questions have increased from Monthly to Weekly and I find myself bored with this board and come here less and less. For those of you that could give a shit less about me and my little rant, thats cool. for the posters I learned some shit from.. Thank You. it's to bad the board has deteriorated to Lame ass boring same ole question of the week and lost it's potential to be a great source of info on the AR's.

I'll stop by in a week or so... I'm dieing to find out who's better..Aimpoint or EoTech or is it Colt Vs RRA, or maybe it's Bushy Vs RRA. no wait, it's RRA Vs DPMS, no on second thought its Olympic Vs Model 1 sales.................
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
So, what would you like to talk about then?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, its due to the influx of newbies after the AWB died.  They come in here thinking: wow, now I can get a full auto, lemme go see what kind is good.  Their ranks will thin out in time.  Hopefully most will walk away knowing more and understanding what gun ownership is really about.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad you know it all, screw everyone else... lol... j/k But realy, come up with some new topics and we'll talk...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Although I may not agree with his presentation, Harv has a good point. I think the solution though would be to start saving these discussions. For example, under the Information tab at the top of the screen, make a page with "common product evaluations and opinions". Every once in a while, have a moderator forward the best reviews and opinions about certain products to the webmaster to update these pages. That way 1) we're not wasting time discussing the same stuff every week with the same people saying the exact same things and 2) People new to this board or just wanting to read some product reviews have one spot where they can read over the experiences of others. For example, have 10 or so reviews of an EOTech and 10 for an Aimpoint. Have all the major brands displayed with their current websites, major features, and the ratings of people who actually own something made by that company in the past few years (e.g. no Oly bashing about something they made 10 years ago b/c nobody gives a damn).
The only other option would be to allow for better searching and archive the entire board 3 or 6 months back, which would no doubt eat up a lot of bandwidth and slow down the server pretty bad. Anyway, that's my take on the issue. If any moderators read this, please mention my idea to the staff of this board or IM me if you want any more details.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I think that is a good idea but what are we going to talk about once all the AR info is posted?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive been on many boards of vastly different subject matters and this is always normal, especially with a board as popular as this in as it is also growing fast.

One problem which seems to exacerbate reoccuring questions and "dumb" question(there is none IMO) is the search engine and its archiving flexability. 30 days is not enough for this board and this board moves pretty fast.

IMs are a good way to avoid posting old issues.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
...and then there is the guy that comes on and talks about how the post are the same old thing when if he would just look back he would see that it's been covered before...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
i will say that i have seen a2 vs a3 topics at least 5 times in the last week
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it true that the money that advertisors and sponsors pay to the site increases as the number of hits on the site goes up?

If that is true I (and I'm not saying for sure that it is) then why would the staff want to drive people away by discouraging repetitive questions and topics?

Just asking !
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I think, and this is just me, that if someone comes on here and asks a question we should have the common courtesy to answer. Everyone here was new once (I still am) and had redundant questions (I still do) and maybe what they are looking for is not so much to read what has been posted in the past but to interact with some like minded people. There question, while easily answerd in some minds might not have been exactly answerd in previous posts, or maybe they are just trying to double check and make for sure on opinions or what... Point is I would think it better to have the interaction than none at all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Harv, look at it this way: your learning curve has flattened.  It's finally gotten to the point where 99% of your reading is stuff you know.  So what are you going to do?

1) Leave - you discussed that above

2) Stop looking for what the board can do for Harv and give something back - maybe now that you have gotten (nearly) all the board has to offer, you can start answering some of the questions that are flooding the board.  If you think it's boring reading the eighth "What's the difference between Colt and Bushmaster?" post, what about the people who take time to answer all 8?

Maybe you need a change of perspective, Harv.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I've been here for almost four years now, and I still learn stuff from time to time.

AND still have questions from time to time.

Hell, been into guns for YEARS now, and just now got aound to owning both an Eotech AND an Aimpoint so that I could actually put them both through the ringer.

And personally, I'm glad there were a ton of threads about Larue VS Insert Other Mount Here, because it was nice to be able to wade through them all and get a good widespread opinion on them all.

So what I'm saying is that yes, there is a bit of the same stuff asked over and over again.

But there are ALWAYS going to be new guys. Especially now.

But also, there's always something new to learn my friend. Stick around and maybe you'll learn something new as well!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Hasn't this rant been done before?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hasn't this rant been done before?

Yeah, Don't you hate when people post the same topic over and over again...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, you do see a lot.  I don't mind though.  I've had quite a few ARs, but I still learn new stuff all the time.  I don't mind reading "Brand X AR vs Brand Z AR" discussions over and over, because while many of the same things are posted, you find new stuff each time too.  Just the other day for example, I was reading about Modle1Sales kits b/c a buddy of mine wants to do a bargain build, and all along I'd heard the usual "not a Colt, but def worth the money and I'd buy again" stuff until the other day; I heard several accounts in one thread about how some of the lower parts had failed.  Bam, learned something new, and I'm glad I read the 40th or whatever thread on that company.  

Oh yeah, sometimes it's hard to find things using the SEARCH function, I know, I've tried.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#18]
There's an AK board?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Maybe you just need to go and hang out in the AK side of the board for awhile.

Now that's funny.

You guys do make a lot of sense, and don't get me wrong. I learn shit on this board alot. it's just ya gotta really dig for those little nuggets of great info.  And I agree with the "everybody is new" part and I need to keep that in context.
I just wish for once they would spend the time to really look back at all the threads and READ them. 90% of the easy stuff they are looking for is already out there,

Ya know the best piece of info I saw on here is when Lumpy posted a test on using his Aimpoint as a back up ghost ring sight. now that's some good shit. or when somebody post a really good review of something new (before it falls apart as a "it sucks" thread. I guess in the long run ya got to take the good with the bad...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:41:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
now that's some good shit.

You've used the word shit in this thread 10 times. That's alot of shit.

Do you have a shit fixation? There's something new we can talk about. You and your shit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:09:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I know jack shit, and it stunk really bad.

Seriously though, there are always going to be people who you won't like. I might be one of them I don't know, and I don't care.

AR15.com is by itself a worth while website to support and use. I know my little check of $20 bucks a year doesn't compair to the thousands of dollars a year it takes to run a site like this, but it can't hurt.

Take what you find worth while home, and leave the rest of the BS here. Oh and send in your $20 to $100 bucks a year to support what is worth having.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:30:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Harv24, I understand how you feel. Sometimes it helps to hop around to other firearms forums. I always end up coming back to AR15.com. Despite all the duplication, trolls, fights, brand-bashing and the like, I believe when all is said and done there is still more substance and knowledge to be found here than anywhere else, at least when it comes to M16s and AR15 type rifles.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:58:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey, have some fun. Come back in as someone else, and we'll try to guess
who you are. Try this one, its easy:  "POS Olympic guns, took my life, took
my wife, my left arm, left me broke and  defenseless, the assholes wouldn't
speak to me for months, finally they shipped my broken rifle back, I wouldn't
buy from them again in a million trillion years, they all are liars, cheaters and
swindlers, don't believe a word they say".  Hint: markm  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:34:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Harv is right.

sigh.......
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone know where I can find some Moly lube for my extention tube?  j/k
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:39:28 AM EDT
[#26]
As a board noob mind if I suggest something?  How about a begginers board?  That way all of the basic questions end up in one place..out of the veterans way and easy for a noob to find.  I have seen this on other boards and it seems to work.  Additionally nobody flames a young noob and gives them a bad feeling about gun people...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top