Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/30/2004 2:31:22 PM EST
For the sunset, I decided to take the ak muzzle break (pinned on) on my dissapator. I was under the assumption that it was threaded under the break, I carefully dremeled down to find the tops of the treads, but I never found them. Instead the break came off and to my horror and some laughter that it was a press on. Now I have a nice barrel that has not only a pin hole, but a nice dremel cut.

Should I :

a) leave it alone, and make it my beater
b) try the JB weld route and make it look decent (not sure how the JB will hold up to the heat)
c) try to find another press on break (not ak)
d) send it off to have it threaded (if that can be done with the pin hole)

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:46:35 PM EST
Thread it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:53:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By BigIck:
Thread it.

+1
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:00:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/30/2004 3:42:43 PM EST by millsusaf]
Is it even possible to thread a barrel that has a big pin hole drilled?

Who does good work? If I am going to get it threaded I will get under the handgaurds cut also.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:47:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By millsusaf:
Is it even possible to thread a barrel that has a big pin hole drilled?

Who does good work? If I am going to get it threaded I will get under the handgaurds cut also.

Can you measure the OD of the barrel where the brake was? The OD for threading is ~1/2" and I'm betting you are over that. When the barrel is turned for diameter reduction, it may be that your cut disappears. Either way, the threaded muzzle with a FH attached should cover your boo-boo. ADCO will do threading for around $50 + shipping, I believe.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:04:52 PM EST
It measures .70"

Is it worth the $59 for them to lighten under the handguards? How much weight does that actually take off?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:09:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/30/2004 4:10:15 PM EST by mongo001]

It measures .70"

Is it worth the $59 for them to lighten under the handguards? How much weight does that actually take off?

Muzzle measures 0.700, then you are good to go. Worst case you may have a small dent in your threading after it is done. No biggy there. FH will cover that and you will have more than enough thread engagement for a solid FH installation.

I'd be willing to bet that the barrel profile reduction will take a noticable amount of weight off, but I don't know exactly how much. The guys at ADCO will know. The value of weight reduction differs from person to person and their intended use.

I don't carry most of my ARs alot, so I don't mind heavier profiles. I do have a couple of lighter rigs so that should I fulfill my fantasy of competing someday, I'll have a nimble setup to use.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:38:54 PM EST

Thanks for the info. I just have to decide if I would rather sink the $134 plus shipping into that barrel or just put the $$$ toward a new one.

Originally Posted By mongo001:

It measures .70"

Muzzle measures 0.700, then you are good to go. Worst case you may have a small dent in your threading after it is done. No biggy there. FH will cover that and you will have more than enough thread engagement for a solid FH installation.

I'd be willing to bet that the barrel profile reduction will take a noticable amount of weight off, but I don't know exactly how much. The guys at ADCO will know. The value of weight reduction differs from person to person and their intended use.

I don't carry most of my ARs alot, so I don't mind heavier profiles. I do have a couple of lighter rigs so that should I fulfill my fantasy of competing somed

ay, I'll have a nimble setup to use.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:46:22 PM EST

Thanks for the info. I just have to decide if I would rather sink the $134 plus shipping into that barrel or just put the $$$ toward a new one.

I'd recommend a new one. Figure $200 or so for a new Bushmaster barrel and you could likely recover some of the cost selling the old barrel, so you would likely cost about the same $134 to get a new one, give or take depending on how much you can get for the postban. Assuming of course you have the know how to install a new barrel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:19:34 PM EST
Where is a good place for a 16" chrome lined barrel that is light under the handgaurds, and has the M203 recess? I have looked at bushmaster, but I am trying to stay under $200. RR doesn't have any. Is there any good places that I am forgetting. I have found some on gunbroker for $174 but they are not chrome lined. Any input, thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:47:51 PM EST

Where is a good place for a 16" chrome lined barrel that is light under the handgaurds, and has the M203 recess? I have looked at bushmaster, but I am trying to stay under $200. RR doesn't have any. Is there any good places that I am forgetting. I have found some on gunbroker for $174 but they are not chrome lined. Any input, thanks

Look here
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:35:17 AM EST
Dont feel too bad. I just purchased a RRA entry stock. When I installed it I used the wrong damn screw for the buttplate. After a couple of shots the buffer and spring locked up completely compressed. You should have seen the look in my face when I cracked it open. ( WTF?!) Then it dawned on me that i used a screw that was too long. The rubber/plastc stop on the end off the buffer has a hole pounded in the middle of it now. I hope i can still use it.
Top Top