Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/13/2005 8:23:07 PM EDT
I am trying to decide what my next AR will be. I currently have a 20" WOA CMP for Highpower, and a WOA Varminter with an SPR barrel for long range fun. Both are SS, 1:7 twist, Wylde chamber. I am looking to get a carbine. This is going to by my "live under the back seat of my truck" gun. I also hope to take some tactical carbine classes in the future with it. I was originally planning this as my first complete from scratch build, but after reading the tacked tactical carbine thread, I am going to go with an upper built from a reputable supplier.

I am debating with myself on which direction to go. Should I get a mid length, 16", Government profile, or should I get a 14.5" M4 clone? Right now, I like the 16" idea because
1) longer sight radius
2) longer handguards
3) no need to permanantly attach the FH
4) reports on AR15.com of better reliability of the midlenght gas system vs. the M4
5) slightly increased velocity.

The pros I see in the M4 are
1) lighter weight,
2) 1 1/2" shorter.

I am planning on a pretty basic platform to start - flat top upper with BUIS to start with. Aimpoint or Eotech next, followed (possibly) by a free float handguard and VFG.

Am I missing something? Are there any other reasons why I should consider the 14.5" M4 over the 16" mid?

Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:27:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 8:28:54 PM EDT by Stickman]

Originally Posted By Wables:

Right now, I like the 16" idea because
1) longer sight radius Its the same betwen the 14.5 and 16" weapons
2) longer handguards Its the same handguards betwen the 14.5 and 16"
3) no need to permanantly attach the FH Many railed handguards don't need to pull the FS
4) reports on AR15.com of better reliability of the midlenght gas system vs. the M4 all my carbines run fine, so do the 14.5" ones in the military...
5) slightly increased velocity. Yes it does.

1) lighter weight,
2) 1 1/2" shorter.

I am planning on a pretty basic platform to start - flat top upper with BUIS to start with. Aimpoint or Eotech next, followed (possibly) by a free float handguard and VFG.

Am I missing something? Are there any other reasons why I should consider the 14.5" M4 over the 16" mid?

Thanks to all.

I've run with a 14.5" barrel, but it was soley for clearing buildings, and I wanted it to be as short as legally possible. The 16" makes for a good all around barrel for most people.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:29:44 PM EDT
I prefer the 16"
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:31:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:

Originally Posted By Wables:

Right now, I like the 16" idea because
1) longer sight radius Its the same betwen the 14.5 and 16" weapons
2) longer handguards Its the same handguards betwen the 14.5 and 16"
3) no need to permanantly attach the FH Many railed handguards don't need to pull the FS
4) reports on AR15.com of better reliability of the midlenght gas system vs. the M4 all my carbines run fine, so do the 14.5" ones in the military...
5) slightly increased velocity. Yes it does.

1) lighter weight,
2) 1 1/2" shorter.

Thanks to all.

I've run with a 14.5" barrel, but it was soley for clearing buildings, and I wanted it to be as short as legally possible. The 16" makes for a good all around barrel for most people.

The 16" I am looking at has the midlength gas system, which I belive adds 2" to the handguards and sight radius.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:34:08 PM EDT
Ahhh, I couldn't tell that from your post. Go with whatever one makes you happier, it sounds like you are set on a midlength.
Top Top