Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 10:41:23 AM EDT
I have years of shooting experience. I read and post on other boards. I learned of AR15 from glocktalk and sigforum. I have never thought much about AR's or any other rifle for that matter, but I have recently started to think how I would like to own one.
For my needs I think a 16" flat top is what I want. I am looking at the RRA CAR A4 in black. I will want to eventually get a handguard I can mount a light on, a collapsible stock and a dot or scope sight. I like the idea of a flash hider but if needed I can send it off later, after ban, and get this done.  

I have a few questions if you all dont mind.
1. Does a flash hider affect accuracy?
2. Is RRA as good a choice as I have read?
3. I dont see where  the ban is going to have much effect on my purchase, but I will want a supply of mags soon. Where do I go for 20-30 rounders before or after ban?
4. Can you see an error in my ways and would recomend my choice?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I congratulate you on not just saying hi for your first post.  Well done, and welcome aboard.

I deem this thread not to be a trap.

P.S. you should buy a Colt 20" HBAR.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome.

If you have not done so, read this:

jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/announcement.html?b=3&f=16&id=162

then read this:
jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=163158

then look through this:

jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=168415

Then purchase most of your stuff here:

jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/board.html?b=7

Save your money for the next month. Read everything and every thread on this board. Then look through the picture thread and see what you like and have decided exactly what you will use the rifle for.

Buy on the Equipment Exchange a used/new upper. Find an FFL who will do a transfer for you and buy a lower w/parts installed/uninstalled. Slap the two together. Or watch the EE for the used/new rifles and you can buy a complete one for a gret price.

just another opinion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Wait a few more days and order you a RRA with the bayo lug and flash hider. RRA are good rifles. Go Chromed . Good luck Wardawg
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This is the best advise you'll ever get on this site.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah the best advice would be a Colt 6400.  Who wants a 8.5 lbs .223 rifle?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah the best advice would be a Colt 6400.  Who wants a 8.5 lbs .223 rifle?

Colt's are 5.56 and do you really think any of us are going to be walking cross country where having the extra pound that an HBAR adds will amount up to a hill of shit.  Even if I did for some reason have to go that extra 1000 miles I would still want an HBAR.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless you know a dealer that stocks RRA rifles, ordering one could/will take several weaks. It's been 4 weeks for me waiting on my 16" Upper. They quoted 4-6weeks so it could ship any day now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#8]
WOW you all reply faster than AR's shoot. I think.  
Thanks for the info. I recon you will understand if I say I don't like the cluttered AR look. I don't know if I even want a flash hider, the smooth tube sticking out of the forearm looks good to me. I do not doubt the Colt comments but I am a little unimpressed with Colt products. I have been reading for several weeks and RRA seems more and more like my choice. I will ask about the wait before the order goes out. My need is not a tactical team or anything like it, I just want to paper punch, possible use for animal control and home protection.  A clean top with one of the red dot scopes looks like a lot of fun at several yards. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I congratulate you on not just saying hi for your first post.  Well done, and welcome aboard.

I deem this thread not to be a trap.
img28.exs.cx/img28/511/ackbar-trap2.jpg

I think you should find a sound effect link of Ackbar saying that. Just my 2c
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
welcome to the site

and I agree with the previous post re: wait and see what happens and ..............
1. read all you can on the subject
2. determine how and what you will use your rifle for
3. and best of all look at all the different options available (Picture Thread)
4. and then end up with a half dozen variations

the group welcomes you!

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd say go for it.  I bought a RRA CAR A4 back in June, and I've been thrilled with it.  Here are a few reasons, take 'em or leave 'em.

1.  Fit and finish on the RRA is superior to a bunch of other ARs I looked at.  
2.  Haven't had any failures of any kind thus far.   (Admittedly, I've only fired about 200 rounds max thus far, so take it for what it's worth)
3.  Hogue grip.  Standard.  Woo woo.
4.  Star safety lever.  Much easier to manipulate with your thumb than standard.
5.  RRA two-stage trigger.  Supposedly helps with bump-firing (not tried it yet), but also aids in a nice smooth break when you squeeze.
6.  Removable carry handle with rails.  So you can mount a scope on the handle rails, or take it off and mount to the top rail directly.  Up to you.

I happen to LIKE the heavy barrel sans attachments, despite the fact that it doesn't look exactly like an M4.   This is for several reasons:

1.  Supposedly slightly more accurate than a barrel with a comp.
2.  No big flash halo from a "hider" around your barrel to dazzle you in dim lighting.
3.  No stupendous racket caused by a comp (at least the kind that direct the blast to the side)
4.  The slightly heavier barrel stands up to heat better if you like doing mag dumps, and helps inhibit muzzle rise.  I've found that the rifle is well balanced with a full 30 rounder loaded up.

I'd recommend getting one with chrome-lined bore if you can.  Mine's not, and so far my nads haven't fallen off like some here suggest, but it will make your cleaning easier if you have one, at the expense of some accuracy.  I've heard that the barrel isn't 4150 steel like Bushmaster (it's 4140), but  I'm not real concerned.  The DEA has a contract with RRA for new ARs for their people, and I hear it's been going well.  I work for the feds myself, and they USUALLY go with good stuff in the firearms dept.  Heck, DHS went with Sig and HK for their new sidearm providers.  Both are like one pistol for the price of two.

You can find mags on www.cdnninvestments.com.  They have lots of 'em at reasonable prices.  

My two cents, keep the change.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
do you really think any of us are going to be walking cross country where having the extra pound that an HBAR adds will amount up to a hill of shit.  

What do you do all your shooting from a bench?  Or do you shoot a few rounds and put the rifle down?

BAH! on HBARs; off the rack barrels are no more accurate when they are HBAR or Lightweight profile - just heavier.  Thier balance is way too nose heavy, they are slower to swing up onto target and harder to stop once switing up.

Any anbody doing 'mag dumps' isn't in need of the slight accuracy advantage HBARs have when hot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Welcome.

If you have not done so, read this:

jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/announcement.html?b=3&f=16&id=162

then read this:
jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=163158

then look through this:

jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=168415

Then purchase most of your stuff here:

jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/board.html?b=7

Save your money for the next month. Read everything and every thread on this board. Then look through the picture thread and see what you like and have decided exactly what you will use the rifle for.

Buy on the Equipment Exchange a used/new upper. Find an FFL who will do a transfer for you and buy a lower w/parts installed/uninstalled. Slap the two together. Or watch the EE for the used/new rifles and you can buy a complete one for a gret price.

just another opinion.

Great response!  And did you notice that your "Do 1, 2, 3, & 4" primer was post #1234 for you?  

WELCOME, justsigin!    This is a great place, as you are about to find out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:19:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
WOW you all reply faster than AR's shoot. I think.  
Thanks for the info. I recon you will understand if I say I don't like the cluttered AR look. I don't know if I even want a flash hider, the smooth tube sticking out of the forearm looks good to me. I do not doubt the Colt comments but I am a little unimpressed with Colt products. I have been reading for several weeks and RRA seems more and more like my choice. I will ask about the wait before the order goes out. My need is not a tactical team or anything like it, I just want to paper punch, possible use for animal control and home protection.  A clean top with one of the red dot scopes looks like a lot of fun at several yards. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Sounds like you just want a middle of the road rife.  I have a 20" HBAR Colt that I use for the same purposes you mentioned.  It is perfect for this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#15]
When you buy an AR, if it is a RRA, purchase it from ADCO firearms or Eagle Firearms

I highly suggest you buy a complete lower and a complete upper to make your own rifle.  You will save a chunk of change doing this, and you can shop around for the best price.  You will get everything that a complete rifle comes with, except an owner's manual, and a 10 rd magazine.  RRA offers their lifetime warranty on complete uppers and lowers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I second all the good advice here... Colt... RRA... buy from some of our respected dealers... buy in parts...  but I'd like to add that you may want to consider building yours.  It's NOT hard, it's FUN, and you'll LEARN so much about the AR's that you'll be glad you did.  I put mine together in between 35-40 minutes (my first build) and I used standard tools from my Craftsman tool set.  I feel more connected with my J&T than my Bushy, even though the lion's share of my income has gone to the Bushy (to make it pimp'd out).  My 20" A3 is plain-jane, and a beautiful gun.  I can't wait to build more this fall!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top