Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2003 10:22:31 AM EDT
The last few parts are in the mail, and my M4gery (great term, whoever came up with it!) is almost done. I built an AR a few years ago from a stripped lower and a parts kit, but financial trouble came up and I had to sell it before I even got to fire it. Now it's time to settle the score, and I've pretty much custom ordered everything I want exactly how I want it. I have a couple of questions first, though.

My first question concerns the ammunition I should use to break in the rifle. I'm sure this should be asked in the ammo section, but I checked the old threads and discussions about ammo quickly became personal debates without telling me anything I wanted to know.

I was going to buy 1000 rounds of Wolf ammo from the CTD catalog, basically just to burn through the rifle to test it and break it in. Accuracy is not a concern. My main concern is whether or not my rifle will explode in my face due to an over or undercharged round. Does Wolf ammo have any reputation for either? I know it's dirty and cheap...but I can live with that since I'm just going to tear through that case anyway.

Also wanted to know where the cheapest place to get a set of Go/No go gauges would be.

That's it for now...thanks!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I would "break-in" with a good quality ammunition that I know works.  Q3131A or XM193 preferably.  That way if you do run into problems FTF, FTEx, FTEj, etc.  You can be confident it's not the ammunition causing it, it's the rifle.  Takes one more variable out of the equation.  Also, I'd check with just a few rounds of Wolf to make sure it functions in your rifle before buying a whole case.  Wolf is dirty and smells nasty too, I refuse to use it in my AR.

I've never heard of Wolf over-charging a round.  They are significantly underpowered infact.

Cheapest place I found for Go/No-Go/Field gauges is *gasp* Bushmaster!  That's a first! [:O]
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I would stay away from Wolf until you've shot a few hundred rounds of good stuff.  I actually don't shoot Wolf because it smells like a cat that wet itself...  But, yeah, do what wyv3rn said, buy a couple of boxes to try, cause you can't return the case if you don't like it.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Also wanted to know where the cheapest place to get a set of Go/No go gauges would be.

That's it for now...thanks!
View Quote

The cheapest isn't always worth the potential trouble. That said, try [url]Brownells.com[/url]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top