Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 6:59:37 AM EDT
I am getting ready to order/build my first AR and I thought I would run it by you all and see what you think. I have been lurking on the site for about a month and read anything I could get my hands on about the AR platform. Of course, I had a budget to consider as well and I didn’t want to buy an expensive Bushmaster, for example, and then spend more money to get it configured the way I wanted to.

This rifle will be used for target shooting and some short range three gun competitions. I am going to use a Stag Arms lower with A2 fixed stock. I already found a JP Enterprises trigger that I am going to use. For the upper, I am going to use a Stag Arms A3 with a 16” M4 chrome lined barrel. I am going to replace the handguards with the Yankee Hills free float guards and add a Yankee Hills rear flip up sight. I will use a Miculek compensator. For now, I will use the iron sights, but I plan to purchase some type of electronic dot sight in the near future.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:38:22 PM EDT
Well, i'm pretty much a newb too but for your stated use, you seem to have an odd set-up. For target shooting, you don't want a chrome lining on your barrel. You didn't specify a twist rate but that depends on the ammo you shoot. If you want a heavier bullet for target shooting, you'll want a tighter twist than 1/9. If you plan to bridge the UR to the handguards with your optics, you might want a more rigid setup than YHM. I wouldn't use a recoil compensator, but that is probably just me.

I don't know what a three gun competition is, but I presume it would be better to have a 16" barrel for one. 16" will probably do you fine for target work but 18-20 shouldn't be ruled out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:43:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:46:34 AM EDT
free float handguard is a little overkill for 3 gun.

by 'target shooting' do you mean hitting the range and shooting up some targets, or do you mean formal competition?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:28:59 PM EDT
Thanks for the comments guys. As for target shooting, I just mean from 100yds out at my local range from a bench. I know floating might be a little overkill for what I am using it for, but I always got better accuracy with my other bolt rifles when I floated the barrels, so what the heck :)
Top Top