Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/14/2007 7:41:52 PM EDT
Hi All,

New to the site been reading for about a week now. I have been a hand gunner for a few years now and i am ready to take the plunge into ARs. I need suggestions on what is good and all my reading has been fruitless mainly because i dont know all the acronyms i think.

I would like suggestions for a first AR and i am trying to stay around 1k if that is possible. The more complete the package is the better as i am unsure if i would be able to assemble one without instruction (although i did see quite a few nice guides).

The rifle will be used for target shooting and probably switched back and forth between 5.56 and .22lr (i am not a rich man, but the Navy pays more than it used to for sure). Can anyone help out an AR newbie?

I know i want a "flat top" with no fixed iron sights but the pop-up versions are very appealing. I will eventually top it with an eotech down the road.

Thanks!
Nick
PO2 USN
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:43:36 PM EDT
stag is a good bet for that price. Well made and cheaper. Check out the Equipment exchange and deal with people with feedback. You can do a damn nice rifle for $1000 buying used and deals.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:48:42 PM EDT
Stretch,

I saw that link but didnt realize that was what it was. I will check it out. Thanks. I thought the only online places for equipment was gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com

Any other suggestions anyone?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:42:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2007 8:43:08 PM EDT by FA_45ACP]
It sucks that your first rifle will be an AR...

<­BR>

Cause then you're spoiled. Every rifle you will own after that will be a bucket of bolts compared to that AR of yours.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:55:26 PM EDT
I also suggest Stag Arms. You can buy a nice flat-top rifle with flip up sights for $950. If you don't want to build one but want to still save money, you can buy a complete upper and complete lower from Stag Arms and then just snap them together for under $800.

http://stagarms.com
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:55:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By iceman1911:
Stretch,

I saw that link but didnt realize that was what it was. I will check it out. Thanks. I thought the only online places for equipment was gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com

Any other suggestions anyone?

Bushmasters can be found at decent prices.

AIM

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:05:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2007 9:06:17 PM EDT by iceman1911]
height=8
Originally Posted By FA_45ACP:
It sucks that your first rifle will be an AR...

Cause then you're spoiledhat

Oh that will not bother me one bit =) I like to own the best I can reasonably afford. I am trying to get a rifle similar to the M4 SOPMOD that the Team guys use where I am stationed. Granted I have never seen one up close, but what I have in my head seems "tactical" enough. Obviously I cant get a Crane but I should be able to make mine look like theirs, right?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:33:35 PM EDT
welcome to the site

next, read around (esp the tacked threads) and use your search features

i'd stick to the ABCDRS, LMT brands for ARs

FWIW: .22lrs might have some problems in std twist AR bbls b/c the AR's tend to twist faster

+1 for Stag, esp thier complete M4 uppers for ~$500, just add it onto a complete lower (~$250 from the EE/ind board) and you are set

RRA is also a good AR brand for the price
Top Top