Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/29/2005 5:28:10 PM EDT
I am pretty happy right now. I ordered a stripped lower receiver. I chose the Rock River Arms receiver because of the nice fit and finish of my "bought it from the gunshop AR-15 carbine". I also went with the parts kit from RRA. The lower went together without any problems at all. The fit and finish of all the parts was superb. I am very impressed with the quality of the product delivered by RRA.

I was a little nervous about the trigger and hammer pins though. They were a "TIGHT" fit. When I got to the stage where I was putting in those parts ( I bought the 2 stage trigger) I stopped and did some more research and found they are supposed to be tight. I put them in with the help of my trusty "Bigger Hammer" and all is well.

Now all I need to do is finish saving for the upper. I am looking at the 24 inch varmint (EOP) with the 1:12 twist. I plan on shooting 55gr and 62 gr bullets. Do you guys think the 1:12 twist with the 24 in barrell is the right coice for that weight of bullet?

RWW
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:04:04 AM EDT
welcome to the boards, sounds like your off to a good start.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:36:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By xd9user:

Now all I need to do is finish saving for the upper. I am looking at the 24 inch varmint (EOP) with the 1:12 twist. I plan on shooting 55gr and 62 gr bullets. Do you guys think the 1:12 twist with the 24 in barrell is the right coice for that weight of bullet?

RWW

No, I would certainly go with a tighter twist. I'm not real hot on the EOP either.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:54:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:

No, I would certainly go with a tighter twist. I'm not real hot on the EOP either.....

+1 on both points

IMHO, the EOP just limits your options....but your YMMV.

Best of luck with your build.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:50:29 PM EDT
Good point on the EOP option gents. Why are you both favoring the tighter twist?

Would that not spin the bullet to a speed that would cause it to fly apart or at least approach self destruction? It seems to me and my limited knowleged of ballistics that my options for different powder loads and bullet sizes are greater with the slower twist.

RWW
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:33:46 PM EDT
http://www.ammo-oracle.com
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:12:47 AM EDT
Thanks for the link to the ammo discussion Longhorn. I have it bookmarked. That page answered all of my concerns. Thanks again.

RWW
Top Top