Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2015 9:38:56 PM EST

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/pbragoli/media/image8_zps26386001.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=3

I will post a parts list and be happy to send the complete list itemized by cost. Please let me know.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:58:20 PM EST
Franklin Armory Libertas Stripped Lower $99
CMMG Lower Parts Kit $100
BCM M4 Upper Receiver Assembly with Laser T-Markings $119
Daniel Defens Barrel Assy, CMV,CHF, 5.56, 1:7, 16", LW, CAR, Chrome, PHOS, DD-9082 $199
Geissele05-310 Super Select-Fire {Contract Overrun) $250
Battle Arms Development Badass $56.95
BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto $169
CA Bullet Button (bought before Lower Parts Kit) $18.99
BCM Gunfighter W/Mod A4 Charging Handle $65.05
MagPul MAG521 MIAD GEN 1.1 Grip Kit Type 2 $35.95
MagPulMAG378 - FOL ACS-L Carbine Stock - Mil Spec Model butt Stock $79.95
MagPul Vertical Grip $19.95
Parallax Tactical Gen2 13" Free Float Super Slim Rail (FFSSR) Anodized $100
PWS Enhanced Buffer tube Mil Spec (totally taken here) $169.99
Magpul PMag M2 10/30 Blocked & Pinned $15.50
Non-Branded Steel Lightweight Micro Gas Block $26
Non-Branded Carbine Gas Tube $16
Warrior break $54
Muzzle break crush washer $5
AimPointMicro H-1 Red Dot 4 MOA Sight 11910 (AMEX Points) $155.86
Carbine Buffer $8
Carbine Buffer Spring $16
LaRue Tactical Quick Detach Mount, Hi for Micro T-1 or H-1 - 11465 $107
Front Sight Troy M4 Folding - Tritium $153.
Rear Troy Dioptic Folding (not Tritium) $126
Etching $110
Total: $2275.19
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:44:03 PM EST
Why do you say you got taken on the buffer tube? You paid too much or you don't think its $140 better than a standard tube?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:44:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/7/2015 11:45:24 PM EST by AR_DIESEL]
dammit
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:10:16 AM EST
Nice build, I have that barrel on my M4 piston clone and I am loving it!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:37:44 AM EST
You definitely spent alot of money! Where in CA are u?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:23:34 PM EST
I probably shouldn't have said I was taken. A bit harsh. My goal was to build an AR with quality parts for home defense, range, and to begin taking classes. But being new, I sometimes placed more weight on higher cost equating to quality than I should have. The buffer is excellent and have no issue with the quality. However, could I have purchased a quality buffer at a more reasonable price...the more experienced builders would most like say yes.

I also love this DD barrel! In my humble novice opinion, I would recommend looking at the barrel when deciding your next build.

I am open to suggestions and ideas on what the more experienced builders and knowledgable shooters would have done differently. It would be a good way to learn for myself and other newer builders for the next build. I do respect many of the views of those that post here. I referred to these blogs often during my build.

Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:48:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2015 12:52:20 PM EST by AR_DIESEL]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PJBrags:
I probably shouldn't have said I was taken. A bit harsh. My goal was to build an AR with quality parts for home defense, range, and to begin taking classes. But being new, I sometimes placed more weight on higher cost equating to quality than I should have. The buffer is excellent and have no issue with the quality. However, could I have purchased a quality buffer at a more reasonable price...the more experienced builders would most like say yes.

I also love this DD barrel! In my humble novice opinion, I would recommend looking at the barrel when deciding your next build.

I am open to suggestions and ideas on what the more experienced builders and knowledgable shooters would have done differently. It would be a good way to learn for myself and other newer builders for the next build. I do respect many of the views of those that post here. I referred to these blogs often during my build.

Much appreciated!
View Quote

I don't know where you bought your stuff, locally vs online, but it seems like you over-paid on a few items, besides the buffer tube. Being that you're in CA, i wouldn't be surprised if you can't order some things online from out of state. These items specifically seem high.
- cmmg lpk $99 - $60
- charging handle $65 - $45
- $5 crush washer! - $2 max

it doesn't seem like a lot at the time, but all these amounts add up when your buying individual parts. $60 on these three items.

I know first hand BCM stuff rocks - but i would never pay $119 for an upper receiver from them...plenty of good options out there for cheaper. I do recommend their complete URG's though.

Tips for the future -
Know exactly what you want, down to every detail, before you start buying. Research and read reviews.
(based on the description from geissele, your modified SSF is probably no better, or not enough to be worth the additional cost, than the SSA which can be had for $180-$190)
(your upper cost was ~$740, you could've bought a BCM BFH complete upper with KMR rail for ~$10-$15 more) comparable barrel to DD and WAY better rail.
Check the EE first. deals to be had there.
Look for venders who have the best prices on the most parts you need to cut down on shipping.
Free shipping is nice, unless youre over-paying on the parts to where buying elsewhere and paying shipping would be cheaper.

Some of these things may have been absolutes for you, so you pay what you pay in order to get what you want. And thats fine. At the end of the day, if you're happy, you won.

That rifle should shoot great.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:04:06 PM EST
OP. I see that you used a Parallax Tac free-float tube. They are nice. If you live by that store don't hesitate to ask them questions; next to this site they are probably have the best knowledge in the area without attitude. Just be sure to go in with honesty. If you tell them you don't know everything, they will be there for you and you don't have to worry about being taken to the cleaners.

I will say though, that some prices can be high. But they do have great prices on their stock. I got the Aimpoint pro there a while back for $408. While I might have been able to get it online a little cheaper, I couldn't find one where the shipping was that much lower than the local tax. So I bought it there to support the store. Right now they have buffer springs in there for <$10 which is about the best you can get them for. They are great people.

Anyway, yeah, you may have lost out on some things. But by the looks of things you have a solid rifle and it should do you well.

Matel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:36:59 PM EST
The EE was a good suggestion. I started searching for my next build. I am thinking about a 14 in barrel. Cerakote desert or black and a lightweight build. Wondering how the parts decision is different when going with a shorter barrel and lighter build. Thoughts?

I live in San Diego and bought the barrel, lower, and free float rail at Parralax tac. Black Friday deals. Knowledgable guys. They helped me decide to build over buy.
Top Top