Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 12:12:37 PM EDT
Guys,

I've taken lots of buffer tubes off my other rifles...but I cannot get my LMT's buffer tube off. It is on there tight.

All I'm trying to do is put one of those Ace Stubby Skeleton stocks on this LMT Defender lower. It's for my son.

I have one of those mag well inserts in the lower and it's locked in my vise. Tried spraying a little WD40 in there and let it sit overnight. No good.

I don't want to do anything drastic...but how would you suggest I proceed?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Rifle tube or Carbine Collapsible stock tube?

Look close at the edges of the tube and threads, see if you can determine if Loctite was used and what color?

Take the word of someone more experienced than I, there are probably hundreds on this board, but heat is used to defeat loctite and in general gets most threads unstuck.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Rifle tube or Carbine Collapsible stock tube?

Rifle length buffer tube.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:36:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Use a propane torch and heat the receiver where the tube threads in. The heat will not hurt anything but it will loosen the loctite.

put the lower in a padded vice, use heat and put a wrench to the wrench flat at the butt end of the tube.......

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Plumbers torches can be found at your local hardware store, usually for less than $20, get the propane one (the MAPP and other gases can burn hot enough to make easier to damage the metal).  It is a great tool to have, any stuck bolts on my cars, just fire it up and heat for 5 minutes, and the bolts come off.  Heat evenly, NOT just one spot, move the torch around the circumference as you heat to get evenly heated.  Try to concentrate the heat on the receiver portion, avoiding the tube, you want the receiver to expand more than the tube.

It it is lots of loctite that is your problem, then you probably want to get the threads as hot as possible without doing damage, to burn out and weaken the loctite, heat tube and receiver well and even, let it cool then heat up just the receiver portion to get it to expand more than the tube.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Guys,

Thanks for all of the replies.

The damn thing popped free last night.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Was it loctited?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was it loctited?

I saw no residue of any kind.

?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top